Ask BOF anything

tomzep

BOF, in reference to RJW's question on being bummed by a ginger and the thread on being bummed for a million pounds I want to ask what would the coefficient friction be for being bummed based on a

with a small strap on with lube and not sea biscuit?

I was told the coefficient of friction (mu) a value of 5 if plugged it into the formula f = mu * N. whist I think the value of 5 is correct but the formula should be more like F = CKED -0uch What do you think?

I think with lube use g = 1 m/s^2,

and if bent over we have a high-friction inclined slope of 60 degrees, with a

high-friction mass of m = 1 kg that she is pushing downward (assisting gravity) with just the right force to compensate for friction and cause it not to accelerate at all. And let's say that the force we

have to apply is

(5 - sqrt(3))/2 N ~= 1.64 Newtons.

I suppose what I am asking in simple terms is "Would it hurt?"

:lol:

Can you light a match with facial stubble or with your finger nail like they do in the moving pictures

A nail definitely works but is dangerous as some sulphur will burn under your nail. I tried it when I was younger.

Stubble is an interesting one, I will try this later once I have the correct amount. (Can you tell why I have set myself on fire twice by accident?)

B6, 'bummed' has got to equal 'hurts' I would have thought. Nice maths though :P

MV - If it's a safety match then obviously you can't (because the sulphur is on the sheet at the edge of the box and not in the match head). If it's not a safety match then I'd say the right footwear would do the trick, yeah.

And can you roll a cigarette one-handed, while riding a horse?
No as I imagine you'd need both hands on the horses hips in order to get good purchase.

PHILOSOPHY I

1. Why is negligence blameworthy?

2. What makes an argument not merely sound but good?

3. How is second-order quantification to be understood?

4. Can virtue be taught?

5. Can the world itself, and not just language, be vague?

6. Is there a problem of induction for naturalised epistemology?

7. In what sense, if any, does music have meaning?

8. Is either shame or sympathy a moral emotion?

9. What was the significance of the analytic-synthetic distinction? Does the distinction still matter?

10. In what sense, if any, are secondary qualities less objective than primary ones?

11. Is there any genuinely challenging form of scepticism?

12. Is testimony an independent source of knowledge?

13. Can the Ontological Argument be salvaged?

14. In what sense, if any, are our wills free?

15. Utilitarianism appears to require that we give our worldly goods to the poor. Is this an objection to utilitarian moral philosophy or a vindication of it?

16. How can formal logical results have philosophical ramifications?

17. If truth is correspondence, what is it correspondence to?

18. Are the only real properties those that enter into causal explanations?

19. Is it a challenge to externalism that some knowledge is a priori, or does externalism challenge the idea that any knowledge is a priori?

20. ‘What matters is not whether people are equal but whether everyone has enough.’ Discuss.

21. Are deliberative theories of democracy threatened by empirical evidence of systematic and widespread human irrationality?

22. What if anything could show that non-linguistic animals were rational?

23. Can we learn anything about the function of consciousness by studying the function of attributions of consciousness?

24. What does it take for two simultaneous experiences to belong to the same person?

25. Is knowing how a kind of knowing that?

26. What is normativity? Can science explain it?

PHILOSOPHY II

1. Is relativism self-refuting?

2. Does any ancient philosopher have a concept of the moral?

3. Can a coincidence be explained?

4. What is ‘the intentional fallacy’? Is it a fallacy?

5. What analogy, if any, can be drawn between a flourishing plant and a good human being?

6. Are we free to reject the principle of bivalence?

7. Do numbers exist?

8. Could science disprove the existence of God?

9. Is there anything worse than cruelty?

10. Is ‘internal realism’ a contradiction in terms?

11. What is logical form?

12. Can a capacity for reasoning be restricted to a specific domain?

13. Are just institutions sufficient for a just society?

14. How are emotions related to the feelings or sensations associated with them?

15. Should a distinction between causal relations and constitutive relations be drawn? If so, how?

16. What are the implications of globalization for democracy?

17. Could a zombie believe it was in pain?

18. What is the relationship between understanding the action of others and understanding their minds?

19. What is the role of imagination in perception?

20. Are there different kinds of explanation? If so, how should they be distinguished?

21. What, if anything, does conceivability tell us about reality?

22. In what senses, if any, is embodied activity part of the mind?

23. Are there limits to science? If so, how can we know what they are?

24. How should the personal/subpersonal distinction be drawn? How exactly it is related to the distinction between conceptual and nonconceptual content?

25. What is the relationship between being the same person and being the same animal?

26. Does mental causation matter?

Â