Metroid

JoshVilla

With Metroid Dread on the horizon, thought it'd be a good time to start a thread.

My first Metroid game was Prime, which I think is up there as one of the greatest games ever. I never really got into the 2D stuff, but the fact that we've been deprived of Metroid for so long, and the fact that it looks awesome, has me super excited for Dread.

Finished Super Metroid for the first time recently and it's already in my top 5 games of all time. Played Zero Mission too which was also brilliant, and went halfway through Metroid Prime before I got side tracked. Don't think I'll be able to complete the Metroid marathon I had planned before Dread comes out, but I'll be holding out for the Special Edition which seems to be sold out everywhere so I might have time yet.

Only ever completed the first Prime. Just started playing Samus Returns on 3ds and it’s excellent. It’s made me want to play all the 2d ones now which I’ve ignored for decades. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Only ever completed the first Prime. Just started playing Samus Returns on 3ds and it’s excellent. It’s made me want to play all the 2d ones now which I’ve ignored for decades. 

I was going to play that after Zero Mission but I'm saving it for last before Dread as they're very similar in terms of mechanics and graphics. Even though chronologically it's technically the second game in the mainline series (the whole Prime series takes place between Metroid 1 and 2).

Prime 2 is also brilliant. I never played 3 as I could never really get on with the Wii (I've never liked motion controls for big games like Metroid and Zelda). 

I'm still holding onto hope that they'll either remaster or port the Prime games onto Switch. There's a rumour swirling that the first one is going to make an appearance as the 20th Anniversary is coming up.

Metroid Prime is still my favourite ahead of Super Metroid, but only just.

I tend to stick to the Zelda / Super Metroid combo randomiser whenever I play on the old mini SNES, as opposed to one or the other.

Still hoping for a Switch remaster of Prime one day.

The Metroid / Metroid Prime split is interesting to see, they are completely different genres.  I wonder how many people who got into Prime will pick this up find it's not what they are expecting?    I've got no huge history with the Metroid series, I played Super Metroid back in the day but I absolutely love the Metroidvania genre (Hollow Knight is probably my favourite game of the past five years) and I'll absolutely be picking up Dread tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Sunk a fair few hours into this now. It's absolutely brilliant. I would say that, even if you have an OLED Switch, don't bother playing it in handheld mode. The game is gorgeous and you need to have it full screen on the telly to really appreciate it.

It's safe to say that Metroid is back.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Â