Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Have Ings and Watkins linked up once yet in the matches theyve played together? 

no. It never looked like a partnership and so its proving. Watkins seems to need an age to tee himself up for a shot - and Ings isn't getting the ball.  Both good players but weve nullified both of them.  It has to be one or the other.

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

Time to ditch this formation now, we can play it against City and Pool away, but not against the others. We have no creativity, just kick and run, Ings and Watkins dont get any quality balls at all to work with, and we have Bunedia and Traore on the bench.

Ramsey is a weak link for us, if we need to continue with this formation then Buendia must come in for him now.

In fairness to the formation, they haven't really created anything of note.  Bar a poor pass from McGinn, it's been pretty "comfortable" defensively.  Exactly the same as against Man Utd where they had all the ball and loads of shots but mostly from distance or not clear cut opportunities.

The problem is that, unlike against Man Utd, we're not being smart when we're on the ball.  The midfield has been poor (although McGinn got better towards the end) and Watkins has looked well off the boil.  I think the formation suits us well overall.  However, we also have the ability to switch up when it isn't working and there's certainly some validity in bringing some width into this game - particularly as we're playing quite a few balls into the channels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

So if you forget 3 goals in 3 games we haven't scored any?

I admit it's a bit cherry-picked, just think it highlights that this 3-5-2 is still pretty turgid going forward and the only time that hasn't looked the case in the last month is A. when Bailey was having a riot, and B. against Chelsea in the LC, when we played a 4-3-3 anyways. I love we're capable of playing like this in games like last weekend where the low block is key (and we have the resolute defending for it), but this isn't one of those games IMO.