Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/21 at 22:59

Please the fans who are happy cause the Tottenham are better than us, give yourself a wobble. Tottenham are not better, we were awful most of the game and Smith will tell you that when he does his post match interview. We are much better than that, we played awful and it was one of the worst performances of the season so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spurs beat City this season. Just because they had a poor run of games let’s not forget they are still a very good team that will most likely finish top 6. 

They have been poor and were poor today. We were just worse than them.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Please the fans who are happy cause the Tottenham are better than us, give yourself a wobble. Tottenham are not better, we were awful most of the game and Smith will tell you that when he does his post match interview. We are much better than that, we played awful and it was one of the worst performances of the season so far.

We are better than that but Spurs were a lot better than they have been. You have to give the opposition some credit sometimes.

• Like 1

Didn't think we were terrible by any stretch but we were poor, especially on the ball. There wasn't really much of a link between midfield and strikers, or the strikers themselves.

Our set-pieces alone caused enough trouble to see us score 1 or 2 on a different day. Spurs defended them brilliantly in all fairness.

I don't think Spurs were particularly good in all honesty, they did enough, we were kinda our on worst enemy today with how poor we were in possession, made it easy for them.

Watkings is a great idea, hope they start linking up a bit better. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too reliant on long ball / set piece football against a Spurs defence that handled it really well. With Skipp on a yellow, I think we should have been trying to play through the middle - bring Buendia on earlier, and try and play it out from the back.

Got no problem at all with the Matty Cash long throws, as they looked really dangerous, and happy for him to swap wings to take them... but that can't be our main attacking threat.

Referee was okay tbh - excellent advantage for our goal, and got the big decisions right, but one or two niggly tackles seemed to go the wrong way.

Hause unfortunately showed why he is a squad player. Son turned him too easily for their second.

My MOTM was Cash, who was a constant threat down the right. Martinez also had a good game. Rest of the team were a mixed bag... all had some good spells, but also made mistakes.

I gave Smith "average". We were away at Spurs and went toe-to-toe for most of the game, and it could have gone either way. Not a horrific performance, but it felt like we let a very dangerous counter-attacking side play on the counter the whole game.

• Like 2

What could be more expected of Villa than to underperform expectations?

Totally the wrong midfield approach against their pair of sitters plus Moura, Kane, Ndombele all dropping deep and overloading either a lone Dougie or out wide once the press was broken, really needed another deeper ball winner/retainer in there. McGinn and Ramsey much too rash and rushed, our play in general not composed and patient enough. Needed at least a sub and probably change of shape from the half, 70 minutes was far too late and probably just disruptive at that point.

Was like a cup tie at the end there .

watching Son today was probably what it was like for the opposition fans watching Grealish play for us the past few seasons 

There are games when 3 at the back works and there are games when it doesn’t , today was one of those where it didn’t come off , Spurs were fragile today and we let them grow into the game too much in the first half .

I like Ramsey he looks a tidy player , but he isn’t up for it physically and can only play in that 3 man formation , so Smith had some decisions to make about how we are going to line up , but Cash looked horrible exposed today and I think he needs Buendia in front of him giving him some support.

Hause great in the air and marshalled Kane quite well but when Son ran at him for their winner he turned like an American car and was horribly exposed 

Time to try 4-4-2 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

We played the wrong players in the wrong formation but could have gotten a point there. The ball just wouldn't drop for us in their box but Martinez and Mings kept them out to be fair as well.

Son showed what the downside to Hause in the backline is. 

McGinn never stopped but everything he touched turned to shit today, even the clever dummies were all going wrong. 

I love Ramsey but I think sometimes when he has an immature game like this it really hurts us. He's still developing obviously but a better perfromance from the player in that position today would have changed everything.

• Like 1

I thought Luiz was really poor today, he his far too indisciplined at times. Even Konsa looked ruffled at certain moments. To give a goal away right after equalising, that really does hurt. There was never going to be any way back after that. We gave them far too much space and in the end probably got what we deserved. 

People talking about wrong formation….forget that, our players couldn’t pass to each other, couldn’t hold onto the ball and looked like they had never played together before.  

Formation wouldn’t havent fixed that, too many under performed today…well, all of them underperformed. I can’t name a single player who played half decent today.

Bad day at the office for all of them!

• Like 2

Well that was terrible.

Martinez I put as motm as none of the outfield players were even vaguely good.

Cash, 1st touch terrible, crossing terrible, poor decision making and lost his man 6 maybe 7 times leaving them clean through down the right.

Konsa, don't think he did too much wrong but didn't see anything good 

Mings, some mings type play. Stops a goal on the line one minute, poor pass sets them clean through ghe next. Poor headers of the ball for his height, that oddly people were defending. Today under no pressure several headers aimless or out of play, no power or direction.

Hause, did better than the rest at winning the ball but it just kept bouncing back to them whn he did put in a challenge.

Target, he is missing the overlap and because of this, the expectation is that he crosses the ball, his crossing was not good today bat our goal.

Luiz, looked like he was trying to get himself sent off at the end of the game, some tidy passing but several poor 1st touches giving the ball straight back to them.

Mcginn over hit under hit mis directed you name anything other than perfect weighted pass and he did it all game. Holding the ball too long and giving it away was another trait today.

Ramsey was poor 1st half, 2nd half bar flicking the ball to ings for watkins goal he was anonymous 

Watkins scored, thats the best I can sat in what was another repeat offender for miscontrolling the ball, not running the lines and when he did. Got caught offside.

Ings had a couple shots a couple tackles and not much else

Smith left it too late 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I like Ramsey he looks a tidy player , but he isn’t up for it physically and can only play in that 3 man formation ,

McGinn and Luiz can both only play in that three man midfield too though and we need to keep three in there. We're a little short in midfield - it's Ramsey or Nakamba at the moment - hopefully Sanson brings something when he's fit, but you can see why we wanted Ward-Prowse.

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Was like a cup tie at the end there .

watching Son today was probably what it was like for the opposition fans watching Grealish play for us the past few seasons 

There are games when 3 at the back works and there are games when it doesn’t , today was one of those where it didn’t come off , Spurs were fragile today and we let them grow into the game too much in the first half .

I like Ramsey he looks a tidy player , but he isn’t up for it physically and can only play in that 3 man formation , so Smith had some decisions to make about how we are going to line up , but Cash looked horrible exposed today and I think he needs Buendia in front of him giving him some support.

Hause great in the air and marshalled Kane quite well but when Son ran at him for their winner he turned like an American car and was horribly exposed 

Time to try 4-4-2 

No it’s not. Ings and Watkins have been terrible together up front. 

Not on it today. Hate Spurs, it will be a media w***fest now about how brilliant they are, whereas we lost that match with sloppy play. Axel should have been in place of Hause, would have kept up with Son a bit more. At least we didn’t have to witness the mercurial return to scoring of the genius that is Harry Kane. Oh well, on to Wolves

• Like 1

Had our chances today and could easily have gotten a point without our dreadful ball retention and concentration. However would take 3 points all day long against Man U and Spurs.

No silly meltdowns from me. 

Â