Jump to content

Andorra v England/England v Hungary


andykeenan
 Share

Recommended Posts

That was definitely his first England goal.  He’s had multiple assists but never scored.  In the interview at the last England camp that rubbed a lot of us the wrong way he spoke about how desperate he was to score for England.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Southgate talking babble again, like it was tactical genius to beat Andorra. He's started to bore me with his phycological bullshite. Just get the team out there playing to the best of there abilities, instead of trying to hard on the safe tactics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southgate talking babble again, like it was tactical genius to beat Andorra. He's started to bore me with his phycological bullshite. Just get the team out there playing to the best of there abilities, instead of trying to hard on the safe tactics.

The guy just can't win. He won 5-0 with his C-team. Biggest win in Andorra in England history, by 2 goals. I doubt they'll be cracking open the champagne, but it was a good win.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The guy just can't win. He won 5-0 with his C-team. Biggest win in Andorra in England history, by 2 goals. I doubt they'll be cracking open the champagne, but it was a good win.

Honestly think the moaning about him on this site is ridiculous at times.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Honestly think the moaning about him on this site is ridiculous at times.

I think he's not a pretty poor manager, but that doesn't mean literally everything he does is bad. Even Tim Sherwood got some things right on occasion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think he's not a pretty poor manager, but that doesn't mean literally everything he does is bad. Even Tim Sherwood got some things right on occasion. 

He has his weaknesses and his drawbacks, but at the end of the day he's not only the most successful manager of my lifetime, but the most successful manager for about 50 odd years. Just for that he would deserve some slack, but to be having a whine after a routine 5-0 win away from home is bizarre. People complaining because it isn't 'exciting'. When is the last time Andorra had an 'exciting' match? How could you possibly have an 'exciting' game against semi-pro players in a low block?

People just moaning to have a moan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Foden was great albeit against very limited opposition. As I said during comms hopefully he can get a run in central midfield for England. England have loads of options for left wing so makes sense to me.

Agreed I said almost 12 months ago I wanted to see him there. What we lose in defensive solidity we gain in keeping the ball better and having more cutting edge. Hopes it’s an experiment that gets more game time. I basically hate anyone who plays for a super knobs team these days and it was against a pub team but he was a joy to watch tonight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He has his weaknesses and his drawbacks, but at the end of the day he's not only the most successful manager of my lifetime, but the most successful manager for about 50 odd years. Just for that he would deserve some slack, but to be having a whine after a routine 5-0 win away from home is bizarre. People complaining because it isn't 'exciting'. When is the last time Andorra had an 'exciting' match? How could you possibly have an 'exciting' game against semi-pro players in a low block?

People just moaning to have a moan.

Agreed I thought it was a good performance. We’ve all seen loads of England sides struggle to break teams down in those types of games. I thought we looked dangerous throughout the game. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


For a bloke who has got England to the World Cup semi final and the European Championship final it's amazing how many people really don't like Gareth Southgate.  Presumably you guys also think Guardiola is a fraud because he's only won the Champions League twice? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

For a bloke who has got England to the World Cup semi final and the European Championship final it's amazing how many people really don't like Gareth Southgate.  Presumably you guys also think Guardiola is a fraud because he's only won the Champions League twice? 

Not sure I see the correlation? Guardiola actually won the trophies, whereas Southgate lost in a semifinal and a final despite having arguably the strongest squad in the tournament for the latter. This reminds me of "Bruce got us to the playoff final" from around the time he got sacked. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally get the anti Southgate narrative. It just hurts to see such negative defensive football when we have the best attacking players we have possibly ever had. 
 

And let’s be real, the WC and Euro runs WERE easy. We still come undone every time we play someone half decent. Germany was a decent result but that Germany team is the worst I’ve ever seen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me the Southgate hate comes from having the arguably the best squad in the tournament, with a bench to match, which was confirmed by Mancini in the Euro's. We lost that game because the tactics were all wrong after the goal and too safe, it's like he thought the game was won and we could hold out against Italy for 90 minutes. Also we have had 2 of the easiest run ins of nearly any of the other teams in the Euro's an the World cup and failed when we come up to any serious competition/Team. Italy were there for the taking after the goal in the Euros, but we sat back and ended up being schooled by a 37 Chiellini and then Gareth mugged the penalties by not trusting the young guns.

He is a great speaker (although tries too hard sometimes) and has a great footballing brain, but his decision making including playing Trent Alexander in a position he has never played, when he is arguably one of the best RB's and passers of the ball in Europe, will continue to stop us from winning a final. He is the Solskjaer of international football, his type of football is bland when under pressure, an dare I say, one of the reasons the final was lost against Italy was because of his stubbornness in playing Jack the full game.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Not  sure Tammy Abraham will ever be an international footballer. I agree about Foden he can spray passes around like De Bruyne. Sancho did pretty well against limited opposition 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PaulC said:

Not  sure Tammy Abraham will ever be an international footballer. I agree about Foden he can spray passes around like De Bruyne. Sancho did pretty well against limited opposition 

Don't think he will either but still he's better than DCL 

Ollie I'm not sure, his pressing is incredible and there's a place for it, would say the 3 strikers in this squad when all fit and with a bit of form are about as good as England can hope for 

And let's face it a half fit out of form kane will still start every game when it matters 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â