Midweek Football 27/30 September

andykeenan

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

We really did sign Gueye at the wrong time, didn't we?

The story is that when pre-season started in Portugal Tim Sherwood and his coaching "team" didn't realize that they had to organize the fitness sessions - they thought someone else did it. They had to go into the hotel while the players waited outside and they printed out workouts from the internet. They literally came outside with the print outs and started the pre-season that way.

We were an utter shambles from Lerner on down - actually only bloke who did seem to do a half decent job was Paddy O'Riley who was using stats to sign Amavi, Gueye  & Veretout. If he had a half decent coaching team we may have had half a chance. Buyt at the same time we also had Lescott & Richards as center backs so probably not.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

The story is that when pre-season started in Portugal Tim Sherwood and his coaching "team" didn't realize that they had to organize the fitness sessions - they thought someone else did it. They had to go into the hotel while the players waited outside and they printed out workouts from the internet. They literally came outside with the print outs and started the pre-season that way.

We were an utter shambles from Lerner on down - actually only bloke who did seem to do a half decent job was Paddy O'Riley who was using stats to sign Amavi, Gueye  & Veretout. If he had a half decent coaching team we may have had half a chance. Buyt at the same time we also had Lescott & Richards as center backs so probably not.

Haha where did you read that? Not questioning it, just would love to know more about how embarrassing it was at the time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Good god. I need to read a book from a footballer during this period. Just makes me shudder thinking back. 

• Like 1

PSG do actually look a class above. Mbappe is ridiculous.

Oh and shout out to Veratti who in my opinion is the best midfielder in the world. Never seen him put a foot wrong and he is absolutely everywhere. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

Just now, PaulC said:

Man City have been the better team

By a distance for me, PSG never look that composed even when on the attack, everything seems so quick and scrappy, obviously enough talent there for anything to happen 

Grealish doesn't do anything wrong but at the same time he's not doing much of anything... Hakimi standing him up really well and other than a 5 yard pass inside there's nothing else on 

Just now, villa4europe said:

By a distance for me, PSG never look that composed even when on the attack, everything seems so quick and scrappy, obviously enough talent there for anything to happen 

Grealish doesn't do anything wrong but at the same time he's not doing much of anything... Hakimi standing him up really well and other than a 5 yard pass inside there's nothing else on 

Not sure why Jesus isnt starting instead of Sterling. Grealish not taking enough resposbility.

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Haha where did you read that? Not questioning it, just would love to know more about how embarrassing it was at the time.

Going from a (very dim) memory I think it was a Kendrick or at least a B'Ham mail piece. They would certainly have been there and the image they painted of Sherwood with all these printouts on the training pitch just stayed in my mind. I think it got put down to "a lot of crazy stuff happens pre-season tours" and obviously journos don't shout about it at the time because they have a season or maybe longer with a manager and have to keep some sort of relationship. I did meet Kendrick in the US and we had a long chat about how hard it was to maintain the relationship with Villa under the McCleish regime.

Just now, TheAuthority said:

Going from a (very dim) memory I think it was a Kendrick or at least a B'Ham mail piece. They would certainly have been there and the image they painted of Sherwood with all these printouts on the training pitch just stayed in my mind. I think it got put down to "a lot of crazy stuff happens pre-season tours" and obviously journos don't shout about it at the time because they have a season or maybe longer with a manager and have to keep some sort of relationship. I did meet Kendrick in the US and we had a long chat about how hard it was to maintain the relationship with Villa under the McCleish regime.

It sounds perfectly plausible, I know from someone (as in as close as you could get) that Brucey didn’t like getting the balls out in the first week or so of pre-season like the Continental managers do.

Opened my eyes to the game.

• Like 1

Â