Pre Match Thread

maqroll

There is rotation and there is changing the team for the sake of it. At the moment I think it is better to have a settled winning team, the rotation can be used later in the season when players are tired. They are not tired at the moment some aren’t even match fit, it’s a great option to be able to rotate which we haven’t had before but only at the right time.

• Like 1

Although it might not be our best eleven on paper there is no need to make any changes for this one - it's early in the season, they will have had a good weeks rest come Sunday and confidence will be absolutely sky high following Saturday's heroics.

It's fantastic though knowing we have the likes of Buendia, Traore, Tuanzebe, El Ghazi, then Sanson & Bailey (when fit) all fighting for a starting place and I am sure they will all get their chance in the coming months.

Cautiously optimistic we can go there and win, I know we will try to, but they will be hurting from yesterday so we have to have the right mindset from the start (as in all games). Think Spurs playing Thursday might play to our advantage, let's hope so.

• Like 1

I love how every other club if you see online or hear down the pub, they all say Villa will be a hard game now. Just that recognition is enough for me now, we are in that place now where we command respect. Anyone can see how well run we are now, how well we recruit, and how we’ve transitioned away from Grealish pretty seamlessly. 

Cant imagine Spuds will be as bad as they were yesterday, certainly not at home. Kane cant keep stinking the place out either so he’ll probably notch a penalty or something.

I cant wait to see this side keep developing; think we’ve looked brilliant since that Chelsea league game and will go there full of hope and optimism and maybe some expectation to win.

predicting another good performance but a 2-2 scoreline

• Like 4

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Should be a win, anything less would be a disappointment.

I'd still be o.k with a point. Depends how the game goes really. They might come out and play lights out or Kane or Son finish off half chances in first 10 minutes and we're 2-0 down out of nowhere.

11 points from first 7 games is a very solid start from a disrupted pre season and we'd be on course for 60 point season which feels a realistic target.

4 hours ago, rubberman said:

Slight worry that Kane has yet to score and we know what happens when a player in a drought plays us...

That said, the level we're played at for the last few matches should be enough to get something out of this. 3 points would be amazing.

He scored v Wolves about 5 days ago.

On 26/09/2021 at 11:08, ferguson1 said:

Bit early for this but what the hell, I’m looking forward to the next game already. Simple selection this time in that I wouldn’t change a winning side. Hause deserves to keep his place, so Axel will have to settle for a place on the bench for me.

Looking ahead to Spurs away, Kane, Son, Gil will give us a test and it would be good if they have a bad result against Arsenal, with a sending off for good measure. Spurs are not a Chelsea or a United even, so we should have plenty of the ball and cause them plenty of problems. Think we can do well in this one and a positive result may make the media stand up and take notice of us.  Going to say 3-1 win:

Martinez 

Konsa     Mings     Hause     

Cash                      Luiz                   Targett 

Ramsey         McGinn

Ings              Watkins 

Subs:  Steer, Tuanzebe, Young, Nakamba, Chukwuemeka, Buendia, El Ghazi, Traore, Archer

Finally, just love how impressive our bench is this season. Real options that can change a game and this without having Bailey, Sanson, Davis, Trez etc

I would play that system but Mings on the left and Hause centrally....and depending on the score, bring Bailey on for Targett in an assymetrical arrangement.

I am way more confident in this one vs Spurs than I ever am against them. Just think form wise and momentum wise we have the edge. Granted, they still have lots of talent and anything can happen over 90 minutes,but I really think we will get the 3 points and continue our good form.

Edited by Big Salad

The way things are going for both teams I'd be disappointed with anything less than a draw despite Spurs clearly underperforming with the players they have.

We are capable of scoring at least a couple, Eric Dier is still playing in their defence and he's woeful. The RB they signed looks as much a liability defensively as Aurier was. 

Hopefully Nuno doesn't pick Romero on Sunday as I think he's their best defender based on his Atalanta form. 

We should definitely be targeting a win but I'd still take a point and it means we still go into the international break in form. 

Wonder whether Kane will turn up, he looks like he doesn't want to be there. Ollie could do with a goal. 

Spurs sure are going through a bad patch. I wonder when they face a side great for getting you out of a bad patch?

Seeing the way Villa (and Spurs...) play these days makes me confident on this one.

But seeing the fixture on paper does not.

Let's say I'm hopeful but not expecting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I would play that system but Mings on the left and Hause centrally....and depending on the score, bring Bailey on for Targett in an assymetrical arrangement.

yeah, Mings or Hause centrally or on the left works doesn’t it.  However, Bailey isn’t fit and won’t be until the Wolves game at the earliest according to Deano 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm worried they might whip out the 4-3-3 they played against City if Bergwijn's back and drop Kane. That will cause us all sorts of problems. Feels weird to say but if Kane plays I'm confident we can get a result.

No chance Kane gets dropped.

Would rather Bergwijn than Moura who usually has really good games v us (thought he was their best player in the VP game last season).

Think they might also give Bryan Gil his first start given how bad Dele Alli and Ndombele were yesterday so neither will surely start v us.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I usually hate having to wait until Sunday for a game but I’ll happily wait this week after the United win. 
Spurs aren’t a bad team and won’t be happy about the manner of the derby defeat. Kane looks uninterested so hopefully that continues for a while longer. 
I’d be surprised if we change either formation or team. Hause has to keep his place after two clean sheets on the trot. The midfield looks a nice balance and I think Ings and Watkins will click soon.  

Get a fix of the under 23’s on Friday against the dog heads on AVTV 

• Thanks 1