Drinking in the stands

tomav84

Drinking in the stands  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should fans be allowed to drink in their seats?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/21 at 10:25

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I love a drink with my mates. At the pub. At a restaurant. At a barbecue. Just relaxing. Why do you need to get smashed to watch a game of football.

It's an enjoyable experience. Just take it in.

I think that anyone against drinking in the stands must be, in principle, against alcohol at VP altogether.

Because surely it's worse to rush 2/3 pints in 20 mins before a game than to sit down, watch the warm up and spread those beers over the course of the whole first half?

The current arrangement makes for a greater intoxication risk.

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I love a drink with my mates. At the pub. At a restaurant. At a barbecue. Just relaxing. Why do you need to get smashed to watch a game of football.

One might ask, why do you need to get smashed while you meet with your mates, at the pub, at a restaurant or at a barbecue?

I understand where you are coming from, but let's have the people decide when they enjoy a drink. Because I would very much enjoy a pint a half sat in my seat, and it would do no harm to anyone.

42 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think that anyone against drinking in the stands must be, in principle, against alcohol at VP altogether.

Nope. You keep coming up with these absolute positions :D 

I don't care about people being pissed while the watch the football, I just don't want to be drenched in their beer, and at half time there's little to provoke a tidal wave of pints into the air like there would be if we score a winning goal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Nope. You keep coming up with these absolute positions :D 

I don't care about people being pissed while the watch the football, I just don't want to be drenched in their beer, and at half time there's little to provoke a tidal wave of pints into the air like there would be if we score a winning goal.

Ha, maybe I do do that. I guess "being drunk" at football would have little correlation with where you get to drink.

I do get the beer throwing argument though. Maybe if you don't want the beer thrown at you go from Holte End to Upper Trinity? (Or wear a raincoat 😂)

I also don't think it would be that much of an issue having gone to games in countries where beer is allowed. Or maybe it would.

I'd just like to enjoy a refreshing pint while watching a game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I also don't think it would be that much of an issue having gone to games in countries where beer is allowed. Or maybe it would.

In most other countries I'd have no problem with it at all, and over here I enjoy a beer in the stands at rugby and cricket as well.

As @HanoiVillan said above, you even get to have a pint watching lower league games and there's no real problem.

There's something about the Sky, Big Match, Lads Lads Lads culture that'd probably make it a nightmare in PL/England internationals though, IMO. Maybe it's always been a thing and I live an overly sheltered life, but a bunch of clearings in the woods seemed to start doing it in the 2018 WC, and now it seems it's just a thing that's here to stay.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In most other countries I'd have no problem with it at all, and over here I enjoy a beer in the stands at rugby and cricket as well.

As @HanoiVillan said above, you even get to have a pint watching lower league games and there's no real problem.

There's something about the Sky, Big Match, Lads Lads Lads culture that'd probably make it a nightmare in PL/England internationals though, IMO. Maybe it's always been a thing and I live an overly sheltered life, but a bunch of clearings in the woods seemed to start doing it in the 2018 WC, and now it seems it's just a thing that's here to stay.

I've been to two play off finals the past few years and honestly the behavior I saw in both was disgusting. I was a bit drunk myself but people not being allowed in, people absolutely falling over in the stands, Derby's fan coach being absolutely obliterated by green man, my mate having a full can of beer being chucked off his head in the result.

Football fans are words removed.

Oh, and the few midday Derbies against Blues. People absolutely wrecked off their heads walking up to the stadium, shouting obscenities non stop for 90 minutes from the Holte 

Don't give football fans an excuse because unlike Rugby (which I don't enjoy) and cricket (can't stand) there is a certain culture and class of fan (that I know I am part of) that plagues English football.

20 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think I’d be ok with it as long as it didn’t lead to people launching their beers when a goal is scored like the “look at how crazy us England supporters are - the camera is definitely on for this unique moment of spontaneity, yeah?” crowd.

This is exactly what will happen though.  I love sitting Lower Holte, wouldn't want to sit anywhere else, but people start chucking beer in the air and I'll be forced to move from the seat I've had since The Holte End was rebuilt. 

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Wait... you can't take your drink back to your seat? Really?

Away at Bolton a few years ago I got told off for standing on the bottom step of the vomitory holding a pint whilst trying to get a sneaky peek at the ground. 

Against it. Too many dickheads would ruin it. I'd quite happily ban it from the grounds full stop. 

I have the same view with alcohol served at airports and on planes. Don't complain you have rowdy passengers when you serve them alcohol. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Against it. Too many dickheads would ruin it. I'd quite happily ban it from the grounds full stop. 

I have the same view with alcohol served at airports and on planes. Don't complain you have rowdy passengers when you serve them alcohol. 

hopefully no-one listens to this opinion! Alcohol is the only way I can cope with flying.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 21:48, tomav84 said:

Sorry couldn't think of a suitable thread...interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I like good drink at the football but can't see how this us a good idea. Just know a full pint is gonna go down by back when we score. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/drinking-alcohol-in-seats-at-football-grounds-could-be-permitted-as-part-of-fan-led-review-into-game-12416452

It would literally be the worst idea if this were to happen, or even trialled, absolute carnage.

And this is from some one who would like a beer in the stands.

• Like 2

I do think this is the way forward but no doubts, things will get very ugly for the first few months due to the novelty of it all.

However, once fans realise there’s no need to cram loads of beers in pre-match and they can drink during the game without rushing, it’ll settle down and become the norm.

of course, there will always be one or two muppets who will spoil it for everyone! 

19 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Even unintentionally, beer would go everywhere if we scored. Then you’ll have a lot that launch their beers anyway. Other than probably getting covered in booze , I’d be up for it . 

exactly, even if they weren't being thrown in the air, imagine if you had a full pint in your hand when bailey scored that 3rd the other week...no way it's not going everywhere

Â