Drinking in the stands

tomav84

Drinking in the stands  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should fans be allowed to drink in their seats?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/21 at 10:25

Sorry couldn't think of a suitable thread...interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I like good drink at the football but can't see how this us a good idea. Just know a full pint is gonna go down by back when we score. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/drinking-alcohol-in-seats-at-football-grounds-could-be-permitted-as-part-of-fan-led-review-into-game-12416452

Drinking alcohol in seats at football grounds 'could be permitted' as part of fan-led review into game

I think I’d be ok with it as long as it didn’t lead to people launching their beers when a goal is scored like the “look at how crazy us England supporters are - the camera is definitely on for this unique moment of spontaneity, yeah?” crowd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with you. we're bound to see plenty of Representatives for Wellingborough, in both senses of the word, launching their drinks into the air in celebration, or at opposition players. It's a no from me. 

...World filter kind of ballsed up my pun :D

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I think I’d be ok with it as long as it didn’t lead to people launching their beers when a goal is scored like the “look at how crazy us England supporters are - the camera is definitely on for this unique moment of spontaneity, yeah?” crowd.

agree....except that it absolutely would, IMO. at least for the first season or 2 anyway.

Yes and no

It punishes one half of the fan base whilst the other half can't control themselves 

The lady doing the report is right that the ban encourages people to get smashed pre game and at half time

Drinking is also a national social problem rather than just a football problem 

But yeah I got properly smashed at a lot of football games, away games are like a stag do

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Drinking is also a national social problem rather than just a football problem 

Don't see much crowd trouble at the cricket though, do you? The nation does have a drinking problem, but those least able to control themselves are far more likely to attend football matches than other sports. 

I'd enjoy sipping a pint in the holte end, if it wasn't for the inevitable behaviour from a group of stupid words removed that will almost certainly ruin it for everyone else.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Don't see much crowd trouble at the cricket though, do you? The nation does have a drinking problem, but those least able to control themselves are far more likely to attend football matches than other sports. 

I'd enjoy sipping a pint in the holte end, if it wasn't for the inevitable behaviour from a group of stupid words removed that will almost certainly ruin it for everyone else.

You do see that trouble outside of a football ground though, every highstreet in the country in a Saturday night has the same problem 

Football is a petry dish nothing more 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You do see that trouble outside of a football ground though, every highstreet in the country in a Saturday night has the same problem 

Football is a petry dish nothing more 

Absolutely, it'd just be another outlet, not the cause.

Maybe it'd be fine, but I go nowhere near "fan parks" or public viewings of England games because of clearings in the woods lobbing their pints in the air thinking it's hilarious, and I'd probably just stop going to matches if the same thing caught on there.

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Pretty much every single event, sporting or otherwise allows drinking in your seat apart from football in England. 

People probably get more drunk downing pints in the concourse in time to go up to their seat.

i go watch rugby fairly often. trust me, i'm way more drunk at rugby than football because i can continue drinking during the game. and contrary to popular belief, there's more trouble at rugby than you think...and 99% of the time it's alcohol fueled.

that chelsea game for the 5.30 kick off for example, there was a noticable amount of lads absolutely hammered. dread to think what they'd have been like if they could continue to drink during the game

Make it plastic bottles only and I think the launching of the beer if we score would be curtailed.  Its the plastic pint glasses that causes that.

Obviously you have the other issue of the plastic bottle being a missile then so it's catch 22.

I am fine with the idea of it and would certainly have a beer at my seat myself if I could.

I don't like the thought of leaving the stadium drenched and smelling of stale Heineken as a result of the 'limbs' from a last minute winner though! 

Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Pretty much every single event, sporting or otherwise allows drinking in your seat apart from football in England. 

People probably get more drunk downing pints in the concourse in time to go up to their seat.

That's one of the things this report has highlighted, people still get drunk, no drink in the stands does absolutely nothing to stop drunk football fans, what it does instead is encourages them to hammer it down pre game and at half time

She made it sound like a beer in your seat could result in more sensible drinking 

There was also a strong under current of the positive financial impact from what I saw, clubs will make a lot of money from this 

47 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Wait... you can't take your drink back to your seat? Really?

Yep really football fans are animals don't you know!  Well not strictly true you can take a soft drink to your seat as long as the top is not on the bottle!

Â