Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/09/21 at 22:59

Mike Dean was absolutely shit but... say it quietly... that was a penalty. I'm just glad they missed :) 

Excellent result and even though I didn't see the whole game I'm chuffed to hear the performance was so good

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mike Dean was absolutely shit but... say it quietly... that was a penalty. I'm just glad they missed :) 

Excellent result and even though I didn't see the whole game I'm chuffed to hear the performance was so good

Well it was a penalty but I struggle to see what he was supposed to do there. He hasnt intentionally moved his arm, I don't think its in an unnatural position given the way he is moving, it comes at him at real pace. I don't see how he can avoid that and I also I don't think he has aimed to block it on purpose. It's just hit him. 

It was a penalty because the ref gave it, if I was the ref I would'nt have given it. But I except I wouldnt be an ideal choice to ref Villa v Utd when we are 1-0 with 2 mins to go. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Well it was a penalty but I struggle to see what he was supposed to do there. He hasnt intentionally moved his arm, I don't think its in an unnatural position given the way he is moving, it comes at him at real pace. I don't see how he can avoid that and I also I don't think he has aimed to block it on purpose. It's just hit him. 

It was a penalty because the ref gave it, if I was the ref I would'nt have given it. But I except I wouldnt be an ideal choice to ref Villa v Utd when we are 1-0 with 2 mins to go. 

It doesn't have to be intentional. His arm was away from his body and he stopped the ball going to an opponent.

If that happened at the other end and wasn't given we'd all be absolutely fuming.

But like I said it almost makes the victory better because of it so i'm weirdly glad it happened :D 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It doesn't have to be intentional. His arm was away from his body and he stopped the ball going to an opponent.

If that happened at the other end and wasn't given we'd all be absolutely fuming.

But like I said it almost makes the victory better because of it so i'm weirdly glad it happened :D 

I am genuinely asking here as I'm not 100% on the rules. I know it doesnt have to be intentional but does the simple fact his arm is away from his body then make that a penalty? Is the unnatural position a thing or is it just distance from body? I don't see how he can move in the way he is there (ie trying to run to cover a cross) with his arms by his side. I feel like we are in danger of having defenders running around looking like penguins which seems like an odd road to go down. 

I think if something is intentional or arms are "out" making the body bigger then it should be a pen. But if the arms are where they need to be to play football it shouldnt be a pen. Maybe I am out of step with the rules. 

10 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I am genuinely asking here as I'm not 100% on the rules. I know it doesnt have to be intentional but does the simple fact his arm is away from his body then make that a penalty? Is the unnatural position a thing or is it just distance from body? I don't see how he can move in the way he is there (ie trying to run to cover a cross) with his arms by his side. I feel like we are in danger of having defenders running around looking like penguins which seems like an odd road to go down. 

I think if something is intentional or arms are "out" making the body bigger then it should be a pen. But if the arms are where they need to be to play football it shouldnt be a pen. Maybe I am out of step with the rules. 

Intention has been taken out of the rules all together. it's irrelevant now.

His arms are away from his body. I know there's a grey area about what's natural and what isn't but in this case I don't see how that can't be a penalty. Again if that was Maguire at the other end and we didn't get a penalty for that i think we'd all be rightfully outraged.

Please don't let these comments take away from how utterly shit Mike Dean was :) 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 22:48, villalad21 said:

Did they really have 28 attempts??

Sounds absurd. Can't remember Martinez having much to do. 

They're counting the 12 blocked shots in that 28 i.e. shots that didn't get anywhere near the goal or barely got off the attacker's foot. Ridiculous stat.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

They're counting the 12 blocked shots in that 28 i.e. shots that didn't get anywhere near the goal or barely got off the attacker's foot. Ridiculous stat.

2.3 vs 1.2 xG is a far better indication of how the game went.

Suggests they were still quite unlucky to be fair, although more than 0.7 of that comes from the missed penalty. Without that it looks far more even

19 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I just want us to beat them in our own back yard and get that monkey off our backs.

That would mean more to me than winning at their place.

Just beating them in general means the most tbf😂 but yeah its well well overdue beating them at villa park .. maybe this year is the double 🤐

• Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 13:20, RicRic said:

Just beating them in general means the most tbf😂 but yeah its well well overdue beating them at villa park .. maybe this year is the double 🤐

Unless I am mistaken, the last time we did the double over them was in the 1954-55 season, when we beat them twice in two days (home and away). Previous time before that was 1930. They really have been a bogey side, jeez.

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Unless I am mistaken, the last time we did the double over them was in the 1954-55 season, when we beat them twice in two days (home and away). Previous time before that was 1930. They really have been a bogey side, jeez.

Horrendous record absolutely abysmal, wonder why we played them twice in two days haha

Â