Biennial World Cup

LondonLax

FIFA are proposing holding the mens world cup every two years instead of every four because...well I think we all know the reason.

Arsene Wenger seems to be leading the push but it sounds like it is opposed by every other organisation in the sport.

So I guess that means we should get our panini albums ready for World Cup 2026 and 2028 then.

Any thoughts?

FIFA's plans for a biennial World Cup would lead to a "direct and destructive impact on the club game", Europe's top clubs organisation said on Friday.

The European Club Association (ECA) said FIFA's approach to the reforms of the international match calendar were in "direct and unilateral breach of certain legal obligations", as it joined European soccer's governing body UEFA in opposing the proposals.

Clubs say FIFA World Cup plan would have "destructive impact" | Reuters

Whilst they also expand it to a number that means that no single country can afford to host it

If this happens then at the very least they need to make it a small tournament with top teams only no filler and then make the qualification process more competitive and elevate it 

But they won't do that either, 128 team tournament every 2 years with 7 joint hosts incoming 

Would also say to me that maybe they're failing with their club world cup plans or using this as a tool to push that through the back door

Yes why not. Lets flog the players to shortened injury curtailed careers and have constant football exposure 24/7 365 days a week.

Of course it will get voted through as all the less well off FIFA representatives will do very well out of it.

In fact lets  just have a 200 team knock out global competition every summer.

Cricket and the IOC may complain about it but it will probably get pushed through.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Of course it will get voted through as all the less well off FIFA representatives will do very well out of it.

Yep, 1 FA 1 vote

If Fiji and Madagascar want it because they think it'll give them a better chance of a WC or more money in their FA's kitty then England and Spain thinking its a shit idea is balanced out... And there's more teams that don't qualify every tournament than those that do... 

• Like 1

I think its a silly idear and im sure 99% of football supporters will agree.You would spend every year either qualifying or playing in the world cup.

On the other hand that way every international would mean something and there would be no need or time for friendly matches.So maybe if there was a WC every 2 years you would get the same number of matches but no friendlies.Food for thought

I think Wenger is spot on.

It's highly unfortunate that some players would miss a 4-yearly world cup and never get to play in one due to injuries etc. 

However I don't think he is pushing his argument to it's most logical conclusion.

I think we should be hosting a World Cup every year. This would prevent the issue, and the only risk is that we could improve football.

Actually, scrap that. Let's have a quarterly World Cup every 3 months just to be on the safe side. Panini stickers galore, and I get to spend £50 on a new FIFA World Cup 2026 April Edition game.

Everyone wins. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doing away with friendlies is a good idea but in europe we already have the nations league and euros. Condensing the international games into less windows is also a good idea. The positive side will be lost in the nonsense of having a world cup every two years. 

Edited by villa89

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think Wenger is spot on.

It's highly unfortunate that some players would miss a 4-yearly world cup and never get to play in one due to injuries etc. 

However I don't think he is pushing his argument to it's most logical conclusion.

I think we should be hosting a World Cup every year. This would prevent the issue, and the only risk is that we could improve football.

Actually, scrap that. Let's have a quarterly World Cup every 3 months just to be on the safe side. Panini stickers galore, and I get to spend £50 on a new FIFA World Cup 2026 April Edition game.

Everyone wins. 

How about a Battle Royale style tournament where every nation faces up against each other on a giant field and just goes to town. Just an endless number of sponsored VAR breaks sprinkled with the odd seconds of football and then people can go on the FIFA Facebook site and vote for who they think should get the trophy. Beyonce and Bono handle the opening and closing ceremony, all sponsored by Qatar, China, Amazon and whoever it is who makes Soylent Green.

• Like 1

It's so sad that this is likely to happen. It's the most important 6 weeks in any football fans calendar. It's a sacred time, a time when cold beer runs like a river and the gentle sun brushes the oversized bare bellies of Brits around the country.

It's a time when you can watch 4 football games a day and the wife doesn't even moan. It's the time when hundreds of millions of people watch Honduras play Australia like it's the most important thing in the world. Even the mrs gets it and gets on board.

Your 6 year old begs for another pack of panini stickers, you dishonour the national colours by dressing the trusty 2011 Vouxhall Astra in St George's flag.

The police are outside your local social club, and the carpets down your local get even more sticky than usual. 

And Wenger is just gonna shit all over it. 

• Like 3

It makes sense in a monetary sense. Nobody cares about friendlies and qualifying matches, it makes no money.

I still don't understand the Nations League I think it has something to do with numberwang.

The world cup is a massive cash-cow held in the slim window when league football stops.

Lets double our pay-packets and increase it to a 48 team competition that can only be held on a continent or region, not  a nation.

So what if it devalues it and leads to player burn out. It is all about the money. And don't pretend to dress it up otherwise.

Edited by The Fun Factory

The World Cup makes £x billion every 4 years.

Therefore holding the World Cup every 2 years makes £2x billion every 4 years.

Therefore this should be done.

In future we will discover that the World Cup makes £x billion every week, and we'll have a tournament every week.

Saudi financed idea, so doubtless every other World Cup would be held there.

It's a stupid idea, a revenge plot hatched somewhere against the Super league - same principle but with UEFA taking all the money away from the clubs instead of the other way around.

Burn it, put Wenger in a home and move on.

• Like 1

Â