Energy Bills

Genie

4 minutes ago, og1874 said:

We've got a stone age Whirlpool that we inherited with our house when we bought it - dries anything, including duvets, in a max of 55 mins. Don't make em like they used to!

Like Hoover's a few years ago, the standards changed and the power of them were reduced.

I think it used to be >900w for a Hoover, and now it's below that.

Twas a law introduced by the EU, so must have been around 2015/16.

Bastards :lol:

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Like Hoover's a few years ago, the standards changed and the power of them were reduced.

Pre-EU rules we had a 2200w vacuum, it was noisier than a jet engine. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pre-EU rules we had a 2200w vacuum, it was noisier than a jet engine. 

But I bet your carpets were clean. 

We've one of those Dyson bendy things, it's ok... but we use our in-laws OLD dyson for when we need a deeper clean.  The carpets always feel much springier than when we use ours :( 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's why I voted out, but we're still here with shit vacuums. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

This is not your energy hog. Stuff like that uses eff all, realistically you could run them off batteries for a considerable time without changing them if they build them that way. It'll be way less than a £1 a month per dot

EDIT: I found this

How To Geek

Saved you having to read anymore yawny Spreadsheets :D

Can you convert it to Pound Sterling for us? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's why I voted out, but we're still here with shit vacuums. 

Bloody Brussels, first straightening our bananas and then ruining my Henry! 

Up yours Delors! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I've got a new Hotpoint tumble dryer.  Takes 60 mins to dry thin/small items and 90 minutes for thicker things.   We don't use the sensor as that dries it for longer than is needed.

Either my tumbme dryer is utter shite or i am doing something wrong as mine takes ages. Its usually damp still after a hour +. I usually use the easy care cupboard dry option

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Either my tumbme dryer is utter shite or i am doing something wrong as mine takes ages. Its usually damp still after a hour +. I usually use the easy care cupboard dry option

Are you sure you're not overfilling it? They need lots of room free in the drum, and usually have a much lower weight limit than a similarly priced washing machine

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As someone else suggested, have you cleaned the filter? I'm not talking about the one you clear after every use, there's usually a much larger one in a box at the bottom of the machine that you have to unclip and pull out. If that filter is clogged up, your clothes won't dry properly eventually or it'll take much longer

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

As someone else suggested, have you cleaned the filter? I'm not talking about the one you clear after every use, there's usually a much larger one in a box at the bottom of the machine that you have to unclip and pull out. If that filter is clogged up, your clothes won't dry properly eventually or it'll take much longer

And also empty the water bottle that collects the water and the small filter after every dry as well.

Don't understand all this use of tumble dryers. We've 2 kids that overload the washing machine but in the summer everything dries on the line and in winter everything dries in front of the radiators. What the **** does anyone need a tumble dryer for? 

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Are you sure you're not overfilling it? They need lots of room free in the drum, and usually have a much lower weight limit than a similarly priced washing machine

It could be this maybw i need to experiment with less clothes snd see if that makes a difference 

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Yeah i take out all the fluff after every dry and empty all the water.

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you're not putting your clothes back into the washing machine?

I for one wouldn't put it past you :lol:

Bastard 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Don't understand all this use of tumble dryers. We've 2 kids that overload the washing machine but in the summer everything dries on the line and in winter everything dries in front of the radiators. What the **** does anyone need a tumble dryer for? 

Same here, but Dem is down in that there London so it's rather insensitive to talk about your garden ;)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It could be this maybw i need to experiment with less clothes snd see if that makes a difference 

THIS will be far more important than putting less clothes in

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i take out all the fluff after every dry and empty all the water.

No I'm not talking about that filter, there will be another one, much larger THERE ARE TWO FILTERS! its this bigger one than needs cleaning occasionally, if this one is clogged it won't matter that you are putting less clothes in, you will be wasting £££ every time you use it. Because the cycle will last longer and longer

Serious, check the large filter at the bottom of the machine, it should be the first thing you do if the machine isn't working as it should. If you don't do this you will continue to burn money. It's not hard, you open the panel, unclip the filter, pull out the box, defluff that as best you can and run it under a tap to get rid of the rest and then let it dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Taking it outside and bringing it back in and watching for the rain etc is a faff.

Putting on radiators is unsightly and a faff and means the house doesn't heat as well because the radiators are full of wet washing.

Tumble dryers are just easy. Pull the load out of the washing machine, throw in tumble dryer next to it, and press the button.  Take out 60-90 mins later to nice dry clothes to put away.

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wind -> Sea -> Beach -> Dunes -> My House.

Clothes put out to dry and they invariably end up covered in sand, so need washing again

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

THIS will be far more important than putting less clothes in

No I'm not talking about that filter, there will be another one, much larger THERE ARE TWO FILTERS! its this bigger one than needs cleaning occasionally, if this one is clogged it won't matter that you are putting less clothes in, you will be wasting £££ every time you use it. Because the cycle will last longer and longer

Serious, check the large filter at the bottom of the machine, it should be the first thing you do if the machine isn't working as it should. If you don't do this you will continue to burn money. It's not hard, you open the panel, unclip the filter, pull out the box, defluff that as best you can and run it under a tap to get rid of the rest and then let it dry.

Exactly this. The lint filter should be cleaned after every use, but the one at the bottom of the machine we probably do once a month.

• Like 1

Â