European chase 2021/22

Nigel

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes so essentially it comes down to Spurs having two world class forwards who'd get in our team and then rest of their side is much of a muchness.

Will agree to disagree on Ndombele. He has been there over two years ago so can't play the settling into the league card anymore and three managers haven't rated him much at all. Considering what we needed in the summer Hojiberg would arguably get in our first 11 but again I don't rate him as highly as some and would take Luiz every time.

No one in defence I'd take. Konsa  v Sanchez is no contest and even with Mings making a mistake a game a month his level is still far higher than Eric Dier these days and for now that remains the regular Spurs combo. We have the better keeper now and seems Regullion has regressed after his decent start.

So overall can make a good argument for 7 of our options being better than ours. Considering they finished 7th last season that's a pretty good place for us. I'd also rather have likes of Traore or AEG coming off the bench instead of Bergjwin so we're also stronger in depth in some areas than Spurs aswell.

I personally think our current set-up (with 5 at the back) is not actually our strongest team, in fact I think it's far from it. Our strongest team for me would include Buendia, Bailey, possibly Sanson too, and would be a 4-3-3 formation or 4-2-3-1. Which is why I hope after the international break Smith ditches the 5 at the back, even if it has worked well so far. 

In terms of our team v Spurs, Romero hasn't yet broken through but I would 100% have him here and reckon he'd start for us (even though I really rate Konsa). Reguilon still gets picked for Spain somehow, but yeah him v Targett actually probably isn't a lot in it. Cash looks a proper player this season so would keep him over any of their RBs, none of whom are great. Think the Danish guy (Hojberg) walks into our team and is the sort of player we need. Obviously a fully functioning Kane gets in as does Son. 

If I was doing a combined it would be something like:

Martinez

Cash Romero Mings Reguilon

Hojberg McGinn

Bailey Buendia Son

Kane

Not sure if that's my Villa bias but I've got 6 of ours and 5 of theirs. And on current form you'd pick Ings or Watkins over Kane. But then you look at the reputation of a lot of their players and the reputation of ours and it's night and day in the main. It doesn't help that beaky only picks Mings for England, you'd hope today that at least one more joins him in the squad given the injuries (Konsa, Targett should definitely be under consideration). 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I personally think our current set-up (with 5 at the back) is not actually our strongest team, in fact I think it's far from it. Our strongest team for me would include Buendia, Bailey, possibly Sanson too, and would be a 4-3-3 formation or 4-2-3-1. Which is why I hope after the international break Smith ditches the 5 at the back, even if it has worked well so far. 

In terms of our team v Spurs, Romero hasn't yet broken through but I would 100% have him here and reckon he'd start for us (even though I really rate Konsa). Reguilon still gets picked for Spain somehow, but yeah him v Targett actually probably isn't a lot in it. Cash looks a proper player this season so would keep him over any of their RBs, none of whom are great. Think the Danish guy (Hojberg) walks into our team and is the sort of player we need. Obviously a fully functioning Kane gets in as does Son. 

If I was doing a combined it would be something like:

Martinez

Cash Romero Mings Reguilon

Hojberg McGinn

Bailey Buendia Son

Kane

Not sure if that's my Villa bias but I've got 6 of ours and 5 of theirs. And on current form you'd pick Ings or Watkins over Kane. But then you look at the reputation of a lot of their players and the reputation of ours and it's night and day in the main. It doesn't help that beaky only picks Mings for England, you'd hope today that at least one more joins him in the squad given the injuries (Konsa, Targett should definitely be under consideration). 

Disagree with Romero over Konsa...

Bit of a reality check today.

However while they won Spurs looked very mediocre as last few weeks have shown. West Ham lost at home to newly promoted team after playing europa midweek and Leicester blew 2 nil lead to Palace. Arsenal were no great shakes at Brighton yesterday.

Amuses me how people on here were losing their minds over 1-1 v Brentford when we had to put a makeshift team out and here they are taking points off other top half teams every week....

5th-8th will be very open this season I think. Hopefully we bounce back soon and can be in the mix.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

18% of the season gone…

2 points above Leicester.

Equal points to Arsenal.

2 points behind Spurs.

4 points from 3rd place.  

Id have taken that at the start of the season.

Coincidence that's all the teams who have been doing shit!!

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Really? That’s including Man City in 3rd and Spurs and Arsenal who are our competitors for 6th.  

Brighton and Brentford must be heading for Champions League on your reckoning then?? Including Leicester, is also scraping the barrel a bit, since they are on a poor run of form.

• Confused 1

Â