European chase 2021/22

Nigel

Early days, we won't win every game, but the performances are there and we're winning games we deserve to win, which feels more sustainable than some of our wins even last season.

Its interesting that the arsenal and spurs fans celebrate Utd getting beat by us, the truth is they are miles away from challenging at the top and we should be looking to usurp both of those sides this season, which would be another huge step forward for the club.

• Like 3

Looking at Spurs and Arsenal's starting lineup and it's amazing how fast we have closed the distance from a talent perspective. Only a couple from either side would I want in our team. If we can get this injury bug behind us every spot below 5th is in play. 

• Like 1

Top 4 is already fairly clear imho. I don’t see anyone catching them.

I don’t think we’re as good as Leicester or Spurs.

But Arsenal? Everton? West Ham? We could beat any of those. 7th is the top “reasonable” target. Would be a 10 out 10 season 

But lets not lose the run of ourselves. Coming 9th, up two spots on last year, having lost our best player, would be very good, more like an 8 out of 10 season.

Anything below 12th would be disappointing.

So 7th-13th for me, with the upper parts of that being a good year and the lower parts being fairly poor.

The good news is if we all agree 7th-13th is the range this year, then we can just enjoy the football. No massive consequences to either end of that. No “must win” over dramatics. Just enjoyable football 👍

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t want Spurs to lose this. They’ll be really up for it against us. 

Look at how Arsenal are playing through their midfield, we'll create plenty v them next weekend.

Can see Nuno recalling likes of Harry Winks and Skipp to the midfield and neither are better than McGinn or Luiz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They do but can’t see them losing 4 in a row.  We’ll get chances against them though that’s for sure. I still don’t get how Dier plays for them. What are the managers seeing? 

Could look at it another way. They will have zero confidence. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Could look at it another way. They will have zero confidence. 

Used to think that about teams ending their bad runs against us. But now i cannot think of a worse team for them to play than villa as we are organised , tactically aware and have options  all over the pitch.  Our press against a team with a lack of confidence will be incredibly difficult to deal with . Plus a striker that genuinely doesnt give a shit at the moment as he is still sulking 

3 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Time to lose the small club mentality.

Spurs can be up for it all they want but on current form they are an inferior team, and aside from Kane (who is unmotivated) and Son lack any real standout players. We have nothing to fear. 

Not small club mentality at all. Teams just don’t often lose 4 on the bounce unless they are a Norwich. 

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t want Spurs to lose this. They’ll be really up for it against us. 

Was thinking the same, goes 1 of 2 ways, you either get them fragile, and there to be rattled early, or you get the " reaction " where they put on their best performance of the season. We usually get the latter. lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Used to think that about teams ending their bad runs against us. But now i cannot think of a worse team for them to play than villa as we are organised , tactically aware and have options  all over the pitch.  Our press against a team with a lack of confidence will be incredibly difficult to deal with . Plus a striker that genuinely doesnt give a shit at the moment as he is still sulking 

Bit harsh on Watkins 

• Haha 1

Â