Owe tax from previous years - help!

Stevo985

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Quickest way to stop her worry… get your hand in your pocket and pay it off for her! 

If she has to pay it all as a lump sum then that is what will happen.

I want to make sure she actually has to pay it first and what her options are before I just go chucking 2 grand at it

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If she has to pay it all as a lump sum then that is what will happen.

I want to make sure she actually has to pay it first and what her options are before I just go chucking 2 grand at it

I underpayed tax once and thankfully it was relatively painless, arranged with HMRC to have a years grace and then the figure was spread over the next tax years PAYE deduction. This was their recommendation. I hope you get it resolved. 

• Like 1

I've told mom to speak with that TaxAid charity. I'm helping her but they're experts so I'd rather she got some advice off them.

After some digging we think it might be to do with her receiving part of my dad's pension when he passed away, but because she was still working it should have been declared via a self assessment.

She thought the change to her tax code accounted for that but perhaps it didn't. That's all we can think of.

Anyway we're resigned to paying the tax owed (if it's legit then she owes it so no real issue there). It's the fine we'd like her to get out of

Â