Match Thread: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Just now, Villarocker said:

Ramsey's looking like he's thinking "who the f**k needs Grealish anyway? I'll show them what a homegrown Villan looks like". 

Absolutely. He’s grabbing that baton and running (ball in feet) with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

That could be one of thr best 45 mins of football we have all season despite the score 

It truly has...  Brilliant tactical decision by Smith.  We're unlucky to not be level.  Ramsey has been a dynamo, we're creating chance after chance, and winning just about everything in the midfield.  

• Like 1

I was so worried about the midfield all off-season and we've just spent a half bossing Chelsea in the midfield at their place.

The only difference between the sides is Lukaku being so clinical and a bit of poor luck. Our effort, creativity and bravery has been far beyond what I thought we'd be doing today. 

We’ve played well. The midfield three is working, finding space and restricting Chelsea. Ramsey has been excellent, looks like his confidence is soaring. 
Watkins, you can see what we’ve missed without him, he’s relentless and dangerous. Some great pressing and tackling all over the pitch, you could say we are unlucky to be 1-0 down at half time. 

Just now, ThunderPower_14 said:

I was so worried about the midfield all off-season and we've just spent a half bossing Chelsea in the midfield at their place.

The only difference between the sides is Lukaku being so clinical and a bit of poor luck. Our effort, creativity and bravery has been far beyond what I thought we'd be doing today. 

Goalies !

Very good so far. Should’ve taken a chance, Watkins rounding the keeper probs our best. Mendy having a day out. Axel switching off once and diving in is very annoying as we should be at least level. Luiz looking good tonight.

We’ve been excellent in that half.

The play through the midfield has looked great, pressing from the front good, created a lot of opportunities.

Should not be going in behind but I can see us scoring second half if it continues in the same vein, although I fancy some of our joy in midfield is coming from Saul being run rings around so I’d imagine he’ll be coming off soon.

Ramsey looks like a new player, and one that would cost a lot to procure.

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

We've been miles better, very proud of the way we've played just angry we've not taken our chances as we don't deserve to be behind.

We really really have.  If anyone who didn't have a clue who was who was watching and asked who are the European Champions out of the 2 teams the answer unanimously would be those in claret and blue. 

That is as good a first half as anyone could hope for at Chelsea. We were dominant from the off. But for Tuanzebe twisting himself to the ground we may have gone in level. Regardless of the goal, we should probably have gone in at least one ahead. 

Couldn’t really ask for much more. Midfield three, Mings and Konsa all fantastic. Watkins is such a good footballer. Channelling Grealish with some of his close control, ability to hold the ball and beat a man. 

So unlucky to be behind. Excited to see Bailey (hopefully) brought on second half.