Ratings & Reactions: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/21 at 22:59

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Seriously? McGinn was outstanding - the best player on the pitch and Luiz was excellent, probably our second best player on the day for me. 

McGinn was my man of the match at half time, but he had a poor second half IMO, more wasteful in possession, and Jorginho just shored them up superbly. Fair play to Tuchel for having the stones to take new guy off at half time, what a dire debut he had.

Luiz was very good, agreed.

• Like 1

I think the tactics were a gamble. Smith put all his cards on going all out in attack and getting enough goals to counter Chelsea’s own goal threat.

We couldn’t score, we gave away two soft goals, we were tired out by the second half. 

There was a sort of heroic nobility in the way we went on attacking but I’m wondering if the selection, team formation or tactics weren’t quite right, or if it’s just that individual players didn’t quite come up to the standard required.

I think there may have been a better way to try to deal with Chelsea, particularly since a number of their players were having poor games. But most people commenting here seem to have enjoyed the performance so maybe Smith got it right.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seriously? McGinn was outstanding - the best player on the pitch and Luiz was excellent, probably our second best player on the day for me. 

Agree, cannot understand how fans view the same performance so differently. McGinn, Luiz and Cash were fantastic 

5 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Luiz terrible, a waste of a player, back to his 'normal' performance,  I can only imagine the after 1st covid was a freak.

Mcginn yet again back to his wasteful ways of repeatedly handing the ball to the opposition instead of passing it to a team mate, cost us the 3rd goal and was wasteful throughout the game

Mings did some decent stuff but did a mings and cost us the game, at 1 nil we were always in it, literally threading a through ball through to an on running opponent? Wtf ?

Watkins, misfiring big time 2 or 3 chances as in golden chances.

Stear, has never let us down but today he was stuck to his line and made it easy for them.

First hf we pressed and had loads of chances, should have got at the very least 1 or 2 goals.

Then the above happened.

New after mings handed them the game it was going to get worse. For a top level player that sort of nonsense which is now a mings trade mark, should not be happening under 99% of circumstances, not 1 or 2 times every single game.

Bailey looked poor, the rest of the defence looked decent.

Ings didn't look sharp and traore from an attacking point of view looked dangerous, however was his lazy no pressing non chasing no urgency self so unless he was going to score a worldy he was never going to help.

Disappointed to say the very least, we gifted them a win and individual errors and poor substandard performances let everyone down.

Two of the best players on the pitch today. 

• Like 1

We expected to lose but hoped for a solid performance. Both happened. We lost to champions of Europe with their Cadillac Escalade striker returning home. We had two hugely important players not in the side. I'm honestly not too concerned. If we showed no fight from the start, or if the manager was inept, or if we just played bad from start to stop, then I'd be concerned.

Looking forward to next weekend.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks Luiz, McGinn or Ramsey didn’t play well today need to give their head a wobble.

The new Chelsea fella didn’t kick the ball first half and got hooked at half-time. It was Lukaku that made the difference for them with clinical finishing.

Plenty to be positive about and proud of today.

1 minute ago, MJ_1874 said:

"Plenty to worry about" wtf are you talking about, we just outplayed the European champions away from home for much of the game.  Plenty to be excited about more like.  

Poor finishing and brainfart defending equals a 3-0 loss and plenty to worry about in my opinion, you clearly don't agree, which is fine, but that's wtf I'm talking about. Makes no difference how well you play in between if you show those qualities at either end of the pitch. I said there were positives and there were, no dispute. We killed ourselves, as Villa nearly always do.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Clearly we're not awful

Four points from 12… let’s face it it’s probably going to be four from 15… I’d say we are quite close. 
Teams are capable of looking great for certain periods of matches. However we still made mistakes which lead to conceding, and we failed to score despite all the attempts. Wins are going to be very few and far between this season. 
If Chelsea had put away two more of their attempts on target, making it a 5-0 score line, would people have been happy? I don’t think so.

Edited by Tayls

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Result not surprising and to be fair, nor was the ultimate reason why. Mings' mistake killed the game and he was also at fault for their third.

It does keep happening and the negative outcomes are often telling, so there will come a time when he will have to pay for those mistakes with his place in the team.

Particularly in the first half, we showed some decent attacking intent and worked a few chances, but our finishing throughout was dire.

McGinn back to giving the ball away. Steer does not inspire confidence and is not good enough in my opinion. Overall, some positives from the first half, but plenty to worry about too. 

I wouldn't put much on Mings for the third. Ref couldn't wait to book him in the first half despite Chelsea players doing the same and getting nothing. With no yellow Mings wipes out Azpilicueta and shuts the attack off IMO. 

• Thanks 1

I swear I think some on here want us to play bad or not get a result just so they can be 'validated' on their own erroneous, stupid ass takes on the team.

Already said it but will say it again: Lots of positives in this game and any other day would have a got a result. If can't see that, well then...no better not.

• Like 4

Â