Football Manager 2022

Villaphan04

Having not played a FM since 2011 decided to take the plunge and get this

Dived into Walsall to try and learn the game in the lower leagues. Forgot how much time you can spend manually scouting players. After 4 hours I've progressed about 2 days in game 😅

• Like 1

Anyone tried doing a network game on this one?

Have started one with @lexicon and a non-VTer and it's going pretty well so far. I've not even bothered with a solo game yet this version. First network game I've done since we tried to get one going on here about 10 years ago (think @TrentVilla, @rhyscartwright_avfc, @avfcDJ @AVFC-Prideofbrum and a few others were involved or tried to get involved in that one)

This game we've all started in 2. Bundesliga, me as St. Pauli, @lexicon as Paderborn and the non-VTer as Fortuna Dusseldorf.

A five-way battle for most of the first season and some final day drama with 3rd place St Pauli hosting Fortuna in 1st culminated in St. Pauli gaining automatic promotion in 2nd with a 3-2 final day win, Fortuna in 3rd promoted via the playoff with a 2-1 win 2nd leg victory against Stuttgart, and Paderborn just missing out in 4th.

We're now about a third of the way into our second season. @lexicon's Paderborn sit unbeaten atop of 2. Bundesliga and look set to rejoin us in the Bundesliga for 2023-24. My St. Pauli side and the non-VTer's Fortuna are 9th and 11th respectively, looking for solid midtable finishes for our first season in the big league.

Edited by tomsky_11

On 02/12/2021 at 18:31, tomsky_11 said:

Anyone tried doing a network game on this one?

Have started one with @lexicon and a non-VTer and it's going pretty well so far. I've not even bothered with a solo game yet this version. First network game I've done since we tried to get one going on here about 10 years ago (think @TrentVilla, @rhyscartwright_avfc, @avfcDJ @AVFC-Prideofbrum and a few others were involved or tried to get involved in that one)

This game we've all started in 2. Bundesliga, me as St. Pauli, @lexicon as Paderborn and the non-VTer as Fortuna Dusseldorf.

A five-way battle for most of the first season and some final day drama with 3rd place St Pauli hosting Fortuna in 1st culminated in St. Pauli gaining automatic promotion in 2nd with a 3-2 final day win, Fortuna in 3rd promoted via the playoff with a 2-1 win 2nd leg victory against Stuttgart, and Paderborn just missing out in 4th.

We're now about a third of the way into our second season. @lexicon's Paderborn sit unbeaten atop of 2. Bundesliga and look set to rejoin us in the Bundesliga for 2023-24. My St. Pauli side and the non-VTer's Fortuna are 9th and 11th respectively, looking for solid midtable finishes for our first season in the big league.

Don't they take forever to do with loads of waiting for the other players? 

AdsTgQW.png

A first for me in my years playing FM, second season in and Darmstadt have managed that :lol: Can't remember ever seeing a team with 0 points. 

3rd and now 2nd place finishes with Leipzig. Barely played FM20 or 21, hated 20 and couldn't really get into 21 but so far I'm very much enjoying this years game. 

Speaking of network games, I had a brilliant one with a group of mates on FM18. All started with no badges/experience with the poor clubs in La Liga. Incredible amounts of fun. 

Started with Eibar, got sacked, joined Alaves, nearly won the league with them after a couple seasons building and thanks to that got the Real Madrid job and started buying my mates good players because I could :lol: Signed a Colombian regen Rodrigo Villadiego at Alaves who was incredible (one of my favourite regens ever) and took him with me to Real Madrid where we tore it up again. The best night of the lot is when I won the CL final against PSG. Everyone joined the match to watch, I'm sure you could imagine the scenes after this 

ncECdgN.png

A couple other pics after looking through my screenshots folder 

S1hUC3O.png

qlRJdLr.png

A special shoutout to this disasterclass from one of my mates in the first season

5nRiH1U.png

Haven't played a network game since because well its hard to find the time with work but if you ever get involved in one that just clicks and you can flow through the seasons you can have some of the best moments on FM. 

• Like 2

I'm in 2025/26 finished 2nd, won the FA Cup and lost in the CL semis last year

I'm ruining the finances of NSWE 😂

Donnarumma

Frances - de ligt - bastoni - theo

Tonali - szobozlai

Romero - demir - madueke

Sesko

Bench - skrinair, damsgaard, Alvarez, moukoko and loads of regens

Got 7 players in the nxtgen top 50 including number 1 and 3

This is the year!! 

Sold chuk and Kesler though so I now have no actual current Villa players left in my squad 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Playing mobile version, which is easier and a lot quicker. Can fire them out.

First season as Villa finished 5th. Ansu Fati, weirdly was on loan at Burnley. So I got him in on loan second season. Managed to buy Florian Wirtz, who is brilliant. Won carabao cup, the league and a European competition. Third season Fati on loan again, won carabao cup and league. Champions league semi final. Chrisene, Ramsey and Chuk in team.

Fourth season, I get media comments about winning the league. I say we can do it, players say I’m too ambitious. Month later another media comment, so I so take it one game at a time. Players say I’m not ambitious enough.. squad harmony gone.. very weird. I have Kaine Kesler, A Ramsey and Sinisalo in the squad. 

Few strange situations. 
Ashley Young who had only retired in the summer, weirdly got third in world coach of the year in December, despite losing in champions league group games and I don’t have Italian league on where he’s managing. 
Mings got player of the month despite being out with a broken leg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played this for first time in about 10 years. Things are a lot more in depth but enjoying it.

Finished first season in 6th place and won the FA cup winning two penalty shootouts on the way vs Bournemouth and Everton and also beating City in the semi final and Liverpool in the final courtesy of a 89th minute winner by Buendia.

Squad performed really well as a whole. I struggled to get much from the central midfielders other than Jacob Ramsey who had a real breakthrough as contributed a good amount of goals and assists. Chuk also did well when called upon. 

Mings and Konsa were really solid especially Mings who won my player of the season. The fall backs were also good but Cash is so prone to a yellow card. 

Bailey is awesome but his conditioning is awful which is realistic I guess, and the other forwards such as Ings, Buendia and Watkins were excellent too. With a 4-3-2-1 system it was really easy to rotate the players around.

I got quite lucky with injuries and only signed one player a fullback called Felix Agu to cover both positions.

Expecting a tough summer keeping players happy given the strong interest in the likes of Ings, Watkins and Mings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Is anyone au fait with the MLS rules able to make a database with the Las Vegas Villains joining in a couple of years?

I've never tried an MLS game and am keen to give it a go with a clean slate.

Depending on what you're playing it on check the steam workshop 

Failing that you can probably do it using the editor but you'd need to change a lot of stuff, pick a nobody team from deep down in the leagues that no one would miss, change them to an MLS team, change the league rules etc, it's all doable 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Depending on what you're playing it on check the steam workshop 

Failing that you can probably do it using the editor but you'd need to change a lot of stuff, pick a nobody team from deep down in the leagues that no one would miss, change them to an MLS team, change the league rules etc, it's all doable 

Thanks mate. I've not checked Steam, but assume it's too recent a development to have anything.

You make a good point though. I expect someone else has added a custom MLS team database so I could just edit theirs.

• Like 1

Bought this for the first time in years and somehow have (seemingly) discovered a tactic halfway through season 1 with Sunderland, leading to finishing first and now top of the championship unbeaten (0 losses and now in November).

• Like 1

Into my fifth season with Barrow. Back-to-back promotions in my first two seasons, then finished 10th then 8th in the Championship. Think I've hit the glass ceiling though, tiny stadium & tiny wage bill (85k a week). The next lowest is like 200k p/w, there's single players in the league on more than my entire team. Really frustrating, just have to rely on loans, all my best players aren't mine. Have had (Villa's) Aaron Ramsey on loan for every season so far and he's been really, really good. 

• Like 2

Finally bought this at the weekend. I’m just terrible with tactics so decided to download a couple that have formations I want to play. Feels a bit like cheating but the other option for me is not to play.

So far I’ve signed Alvarez, Patrick Berg, Hickey and Badiashille. Got stuffed 4-0 at home by Liverpool in my first game, then beat Man City 3-2 away at the Shitihad in my second.

Also replaced a number of staff members as their training ratings were cack.

Fingers crossed I stick with it this year.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 19:40, Milfner said:

Into my fifth season with Barrow. Back-to-back promotions in my first two seasons, then finished 10th then 8th in the Championship. Think I've hit the glass ceiling though, tiny stadium & tiny wage bill (85k a week). The next lowest is like 200k p/w, there's single players in the league on more than my entire team. Really frustrating, just have to rely on loans, all my best players aren't mine. Have had (Villa's) Aaron Ramsey on loan for every season so far and he's been really, really good. 

*Finally* got Barrow up at the third attempt. Gone full on scatter gun in the transfer market, praying some of my team are a lot better than what the reports are saying. 

Also have to play my games at Turf Moor whilst the new stadium is being built. 180 mile round trip! :lol: 

• Like 1

Was offered the Villa job after Danny Cowley took the England job. I said no (I can never really bring myself to move during saves), and Gareth Southgate too over. 

First two games of the season and I’ve lost 4-1 and 3-0 to City and Liverpool. Next up is Newcastle who’ve spent over a billion in six years. 

I think what I’ve learnt from this transfer window is to try to hold my nerve. I tried to get my squad sorted early, and it’s ended up with me over spending massively on a free transfer and a centre mid and now there’s much better available for half the price. The agent offers you get on the scouting up really are a godsend. 

Â