9/11...20 years later

Big Salad

Just now, Seat68 said:

Last I will say on this thread as they tend to bring out conspiracy theorists. 

I was here before you posted that . I haven't even got to the good tin hatty stuff like Neo's driving license or the speech that Magog gave on the 11th September 1990 which was 11 years before 9/11  ( 11 is a very significant number in occultism)  😀

I don't expect many, if any on here to agree with me as esoteric philosophy and occultism probably isn't common knowledge but the tin hat pics and "conspiracy theorist"  stuff can get in the bin.  

I was working down at Fort Dunlop in Erdington that week and someone in the office shouted over that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. I think they'd got a text. There was no TV or internet enabled computers in the office at that point so someone went out and got a radio from elsewhere and plugged it in! Few people were trying to get the news on their phones... very early days of WAP back then. We didn't really grasp the scope of it at that point. 

I drove home after work and they were talking about it on the radio. It wasn't until I actually saw it on TV when I got home that I realised how massive it was. I was transfixed to the news channels for weeks afterwards. I watch the scenes back now and still can't believe it. 

As someone else said, the death total compared to the devastation caused seems low, if that makes sense? I dread to think how many more people would have died if the planes hit a few hours later. The early news reports suggested that over 50,000 people worked there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Big Salad said:

If you believe in conspiracy theories it would be much appreciated for you to post in this thread instead cheers:

That is for general conspiracies so I wouldn't want to derail that thread with specific ones. 

I remember getting home from school, switching on my mobile and receiving a text from a friend who had been sent home with a stomach bug.

'Switch on the news. There's been bombs dropped in d US' (sic)

Turned out not to be bombs, of course, but what unfolded over the next few hours would be amongst the most terrifying and saddest things that any of us have ever witnessed.

I switched on around the time the second plane hit, although I can't remember if it was just before or just after. Either way, I watched the rest of it live, including the collapse of the towers.

I think that, for me, it was kind of the end of innocence. All of a sudden I was aware of a threat that I had never even considered - the Islamic ideology of jihad. I remember going into school the next day and seeing some of the Muslim kids laughing and joking, celebrating during the moments of silence. My eyes had been opened to what a strange, mixed up world we really live in - a feeling that has only been heightened by the multitude of atrocities committed by Islamists in the years since.

What a horrible, tragic, awful day it was. Hopefully never to be repeated. RIP to the 2996 lost in New York and those who were killed at The Pentagon and on United 93.

Never forgive, never forget.

• Like 1

The main image that haunts me when I think of this isn't the impact, or the collapse, it's the footage of the people on the higher floors above the impact realising they have no chance of escaping and choosing to jump. I've seen it a few times over the years and it brings me to tears every time. How bizarre that the withdrawal from Afghanistan had such an echo of where this started.

One of my managers came to my office and advised that there was something going on at the World Trade Centre. We nipped down to the staff room and put the telly on about five minutes before the 2nd plane hit, can remember it like it was yesterday. Once that had sunk in I told all the staff to go home for the day as there was no chance of any work being done. Got home open the bottle of brandy and watched waiting further attacks or news of 

19 minutes ago, regular_john said:

I think that, for me, it was kind of the end of innocence. All of a sudden I was aware of a threat that I had never even considered - the Islamic ideology of jihad. I remember going into school the next day and seeing some of the Muslim kids laughing and joking, celebrating during the moments of silence.

It certainly added a bit of tension working in Bradford the following day. I didn't see any 'celebration', but one of my Muslim colleagues' first reactions was "Oh no, now we're going to get a backlash", which did rather make me snap at him "Is that all you can think of?" (Although I totally understood where he was coming from). 

• Like 1

I was on a rare day off so took myself to Birmingham for a browse around the shops and on my drive home as I was on the Spaghetti Junction, Mark and Lard broke the news to me on the radio. 

I remember them talking about how utterly futile it felt playing music with the events unfolding in New York. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

It certainly added a bit of tension working in Bradford the following day. I didn't see any 'celebration', but one of my Muslim colleagues' first reactions was "Oh no, now we're going to get a backlash", which did rather make me snap at him "Is that all you can think of?" (Although I totally understood where he was coming from). 

I don't to recall that much in Birmingham either but one incident does stick in my mind - I was at Magistrates Court a few weeks later and a young female Asian solicitor was stood in my vicinity and was taking great joy in showing her clients an animated  'gif' of a plane crashing into a building on her phone (it was a very rudimental image but in no doubt what it was meant to represent). I was a little bit shocked to be honest and did comment to her, if it were appropriate. She just laughed and said it was funny..

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

And to the countless thousands who lost their lives as a result of America's reaction.

Definitely this. Nobody wins. Except, arguably, the jihadis who actively relish the escalation of death, as part of their deranged theology. And there are more than a few fundie Christian nutters who also want to bring about Armageddon. 

• Like 4

Â