Jump to content

Your pre match must do superstitions


Robtaylor200
 Share

Recommended Posts

A lighter thread

Football supporters and players are probably the most superstitious people walking the earth.

Some of us feel that we can change the course of the game by wearing the wrong socks on a Saturday, We know deep inside that its all b*****s but just maybe !

I need to bet 4:1, I wear my 1981/82 shirt for home games, my 1957 FA cup shirt for cup games. When watching on TV I may even change to my Euro final shirt at half time if we are struggling. My son was brought a Villa mug for fathers day, he will not use it on a Saturday because its Orange. I wont wear the League cup shirt I was brought for Christmas because its the one when we lost to Spurs. My son-in-law (a spurs fan) will not wear a watch when they are playing. One of mates was watching us on TV and stood up for something and we scored, so he stood up for the rest of the game.

What are your must do preparations? 

 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

A lighter thread

Football supporters and players are probably the most superstitious people walking the earth.

Some of us feel that we can change the course of the game by wearing the wrong socks on a Saturday, We know deep inside that its all b*****s but just maybe !

I need to bet 4:1, I wear my 1981/82 shirt for home games, my 1957 FA cup shirt for cup games. When watching on TV I may even change to my Euro final shirt at half time if we are struggling. My son was brought a Villa mug for fathers day, he will not use it on a Saturday because its Orange. I wont wear the League cup shirt I was brought for Christmas because its the one when we lost to Spurs. My son-in-law (a spurs fan) will not wear a watch when they are paying. One of mates was watching us on TV and stood up for something and we scored, so he stood up for the rest of the game.

What are your must do preparations? 

 

The money you must have lost over the years!!

Nice cheery thread tho.

I don’t have any pre match rituals but in 30 years of supporting Villa, I always, always cross my fingers for good luck when the opposition get a corner. It must have ‘worked’ once in my early supporting days so I’ve just stuck with it, no matter how many we’ve conceded from corners since then! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

I think it's just to do with you have done your bit and it makes you feel more at ease should we lose!  I am like you have had lucky tops, boxer shorts, socks and any combination of the above!

If I stumble on something when we win games we are underdogs I keep doing it i.e. not shaving until we lose or whatever!  It's total madness when you think about it!

However I justify it all by thinking that there must be thousands like me and if we lose after I have done all my things it must be someone in those thousands that forgot!

I am off for a lie down in my padded room.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

None. I used to insist on drinking from my Villa mug on the morning of a game, and still own some lucky claret socks but as time has proven they don't work I just don't bother anymore. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a silk scarf that my grandmother gave me, that I tied around my wrist (old style;)) for all of our cup finals and Wembley appearances from 1975 to 2000, and we went all of those games without defeat until the 2000 FA Cup final when the good luck finally ran out. It still makes the odd appearance at big games, although it's been a bit hit and miss since then.   

Edited by John
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

None. I used to insist on drinking from my Villa mug on the morning of a game, and still own some lucky claret socks but as time has proven they don't work I just don't bother anymore. 

Oh, so it’s all your fault!? So selfish.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I have eggs on a day Villa are playing, be it boiled or poached and to a lesser extent fried, depending on how well they turn out I always feel it will affect the Villa result (& my day in general)! 🙈

Absolutely ridiculous I know, yet I tend to either stay away from 🥚🥚 on match day or concentrate really hard on getting them perfect! 😅

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m possibly the least superstitious person I know, and that goes for football too. I really don’t have anything that I must do. 

(Which I really hope doesn’t hurt our chances 😬

Well at least you can't forget to do it and cause an issue later 

Edited by Robtaylor200
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

1977 league cup final sweat brand on my left wrist for big games. I like to think anadvantage has been gained but if I worked it out it’s probably 60/40 against minimum

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

1977 league cup final sweat brand on my left wrist for big games. I like to think anadvantage has been gained but if I worked it out it’s probably 60/40 against minimum

Imagine how bad it would be if you didn’t put it on though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I have sex at 5.00am every matchday wearing an eye-patch and I insist that the Mrs calls me skipper.

I call BS.

Your post implies that you’re married, which does not compute with any kind of  regular activities outside of birthdays. 

Or so I’m told. By a friend 🥺

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â