January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I think we've 2 area for the summer realistically. We need that big signing in midfield upgrade on Nakamba/Luiz ideally. 

We then need a left back upgrade / competition for Targett.

We move on AEG, Trezeguet, Davis, Guilbert if possible.

Kessler-Hayden comes back to compete with Cash

18 hours ago, TRO said:

Interesting how SG is reported as saying the squad is unbalanced, having too many attacking wide men.

looks like Traore, could be jettisoned in January.

I think we all knew this, didn't we?

We went into the last transfer window with a keeper and back 4 that didn't need touching, Axel in for Engels and Ings for Wesley looked like brilliant house keeping. It was well documented that Deano was after JWP and maybe one other MF, maybe we were already to move bodies out to better balance the squad. For whatever reason, we didn't get all of our business done and it has left an unbalanced squad. We knew this before Gerrard came. Yes, I agree we already knew exactly where the squad is at and needs fixing, I'm a little surprised though that defence is sounding like first order of business, although any upgrades at any time are welcome. 

17 hours ago, TRO said:

too often, not available.....we can't be running with players out all the time.

economics eventually kick in....what use are they, out all the time?

Core issue with Traore is his decision making. I've hardly seen a worse decision maker in my life.

His pressing and tracking back is way too inconsistent. Sometimes he does it, but sometimes he is casually strolling around.

Your average fan will love him because he does fancy flicks and tricks. Top coaches will want him out, make no questions about it.

Targett is another one who I don't think will work out. Don't have the energy or pace to survive in Gerrard's extremely demanding system.

We'll see quite a few outgoings in the summer me think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Your average fan will love him because he does fancy flicks and tricks. Top coaches will want him out, make no questions about it.

tenor.gif

Klopp likes him so much he tried to sign him but was reportedly priced out and then mentioned him by name when complimenting the strength of our squad before we smashed them 7-2.

18 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

tenor.gif

Klopp likes him so much he tried to sign him but was reportedly priced out and then mentioned him by name when complimenting the strength of our squad before we smashed them 7-2.

Yes but would Potter or Chris Wilder sign him 😛

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

We went into the last transfer window with a keeper and back 4 that didn't need touching, Axel in for Engels and Ings for Wesley looked like brilliant house keeping. It was well documented that Deano was after JWP and maybe one other MF, maybe we were already to move bodies out to better balance the squad. For whatever reason, we didn't get all of our business done and it has left an unbalanced squad. We knew this before Gerrard came. Yes, I agree we already knew exactly where the squad is at and needs fixing, I'm a little surprised though that defence is sounding like first order of business, although any upgrades at any time are welcome. 

I'm not.....but it depends what we mean, do we mean the back 5 or the defensive side of our game, which would include them all.

We have been conceding too many goals and have been too easy to play against....while at the same time, scoring in nearly every game.....so in theory, we are putting ourselves in a position to collect more points if we can keep clean sheets.

So it doesn't surprise me, that the defensive side of our game needs priority focus.

Bailey, Watkins & Ings have enough in their locker when fit, to cause many teams problems....Its the goals against ,that have had us dropping down the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

tenor.gif

Well, we will see if SG wants to keep him, but it is reported, he will let him go.

He has a mercurial talent, no doubt, but for where we are heading consistency has to in the armoury....for whatever reason he is out of the first team, quite a bit, so its questionable, how much he actually delivers.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Core issue with Traore is his decision making. I've hardly seen a worse decision maker in my life.

His pressing and tracking back is way too inconsistent. Sometimes he does it, but sometimes he is casually strolling around.

Targett is another one who I don't think will work out. Don't have the energy or pace to survive in Gerrard's extremely demanding system.

BT literally went through the Auxerre youth set up, to Chelsea's youth set up, on loan to Ajax before being sold for nearly £10m to Lyon and then sold to us by Lyon for nearly £20m. So his value has gone up considerably, he has worked with an array of top coaches and the likes of John Terry wanted him here. A man who literally saw him rise through the youth rankings, training day in day out, a man who also by his own admission a few days ago said he would get angry if players do not pull their weight. I'd rank that opinion pretty highly personally, yet because "top coach" blueslad21 hasn't seen a worse decision maker in his life (watching TV showings from his basement), we'll definitely be seeing him go. 

You spout so much shite its unreal. You've never seen a worse decision maker in your life? Get out of your **** basement more often pal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I'm not.....but it depends what we mean, do we mean the back 5 or the defensive side of our game, which would include them all.

We have been conceding too many goals and have been too easy to play against....while at the same time, scoring in nearly every game.....so in theory, we are putting ourselves in a position to collect more points if we can keep clean sheets.

So it doesn't surprise me, that the defensive side of our game needs priority focus.

Bailey, Watkins & Ings have enough in their locker when fit, to cause many teams problems....Its the goals against ,that have had us dropping down the league.

I mean't the focus on replacing existing defenders and transfer speculation around that area seems to be the buzz. The focus should be on fixing the leak as you say but maybe in getting the back 5 to be as good as 20/21, which was bloody good, selling the fringe players and splashing out on a world class DM would be my first order of business. That said, I have little attachment to anyone really and upgrading anyone if ffp permits can only be good for Aston Villa.

We now have a special MF managing the team, fixing MF fixes the defence and attack and knits it all together, that's what I want to see.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I mean't the focus on replacing existing defenders and transfer speculation around that area seems to be the buzz. The focus should be on fixing the leak as you say but maybe in getting the back 5 to be as good as 20/21, which was bloody good, selling the fringe players and splashing out on a world class DM would be my first order of business. That said, I have little attachment to anyone really and upgrading anyone if ffp permits can only be good for Aston Villa.

We now have a special MF managing the team, fixing MF fixes the defence and attack and knits it all together, that's what I want to see.

A top quality DM would be my priority too ( surprisingly enough😀)...I think it would release other good players we have to more apt roles.

I do think a left back, is needed to battle for the shirt and a back up Goal Keeper.

I think with a solid base, SG et al will work with the midfielders and I think we have a base for improvement to the creative side of our game. It would not surprise me to see, some of our midfielders emerge as much better players , played in the right positions. They have been deployed in to roles they are not best suited to, due to a lack of real DM quality.

I also think some of the academy lads next development tasks will be intensity, urgency and desire....they have the talent, just need to add bits and pieces to their games, to be ready to win shirts....SG &Co are the ideal coaches to be aware of that, crucial commodity.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fickle fans will want him out. No questions about it. 

Top coach’s will want to work with him and improve his game.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not to mention the fact that when we become stronger defensively, our midfield and attacking players should be more likely to receive the ball in better positions and with more controlled passes - which in turn will make us more dangerous going forwards.  I am convinced that with a stable midfield, players like Buendia and Bailey will suddenly look completely different because they will be receiving the type of passes, in the types of areas where they can thrive.  The same is probably true for Ollie and Ings as well.  Whacking high, long balls down the flanks is not the best way to get these types of players involved and taking the game to the opposition.  A quality defensive midfielder will also take some of the pressure off Luiz and McGinn / JJ - which will hopefully help them focus a little more on their natural positions.  In short, boosting the defence will not just stop us conceding goals - it should also give our creative players more freedom and scope to score more too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fickle fans will want him out. No questions about it. 

Top coach’s will want to work with him and improve his game.

I am hoping ours do, because on his day, he can do things others can only dream about, but those magical moments as they are, are not enough...we need more from him.

I must say, I thought he was out injured, more than he actually is/was.....but this season the stop starts with injuries and international breaks, has confused me, on this.

He has scored a goal in 4.75 games with us, not great, but not bad either for a winger.....but he needs working on to get more game involvement and threat, from him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Not to mention the fact that when we become stronger defensively, our midfield and attacking players should be more likely to receive the ball in better positions and with more controlled passes - which in turn will make us more dangerous going forwards.  I am convinced that with a stable midfield, players like Buendia and Bailey will suddenly look completely different because they will be receiving the type of passes, in the types of areas where they can thrive.  The same is probably true for Ollie and Ings as well.  Whacking high, long balls down the flanks is not the best way to get these types of players involved and taking the game to the opposition.  A quality defensive midfielder will also take some of the pressure off Luiz and McGinn / JJ - which will hopefully help them focus a little more on their natural positions.  In short, boosting the defence will not just stop us conceding goals - it should also give our creative players more freedom and scope to score more too.

I couldn't agree more, if I tried.....spot on.

Well said.

We saw how much it affected Liverpool, without Van Dijk...transformed them now he's back.....We sometimes under estimate defensive capability and the synergy it plays in the offensive part of the game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

A top quality DM would be my priority too ( surprisingly enough😀)...I think it would release other good players we have to more apt roles.

I do think a left back, is needed to battle for the shirt and a back up Goal Keeper.

I think with a solid base, SG et al will work with the midfielders and I think we have a base for improvement to the creative side of our game. It would not surprise me to see, some of our midfielders emerge as much better players , played in the right positions. They have deployed in to roles they are not best suited to, due to a lack of real DM quality.

I also think some of the academy lads next development tasks will be intensity, urgency and desire....they have the talent, just need to add bits and pieces to their games, to be ready to win shirts....SG &Co are the ideal coaches to be aware of that, crucial commodity.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for another central defender.  I think Konsa and Mings both have many strengths but they probably both need a better partner to get the best out of them.  I think Konsa is great technically and needs someone to really boss him around.  Mings is a great leader but prone to losing his man, getting involved in pointless "macho" show-downs and having the off brain fart.  I think he'd also be better with someone alongside him who is giving him a roasting and keeping him on his toes.  I don't know which of the two gets dropped - unfortunately I think Konsa is too quiet and so might be the more obvious candidate, although personally I think he is the better footballer and has a really high ceiling.  But he's not going to get the best out of Mings because he isn't as vocal.

• Like 1

Gerard has five or six weeks to decide his priorities. He seems to have a sponge like ability to soak up club related info very quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has formed strong opinions on immediate requirements already.

The period between now and the transfer window will probably reinforce, or maybe in some cases change one or two of those opinions, so this is a finite first team trial for all our players. SG is obsessive about winning and he has a lot of coaching 'eyes and ears' at his disposal, so nothing to do with attitude and attributes will be missed.

It's bust a gut time, hang on to every word time, chuck the play station time, early to bed time, focus, focus, focus, focus time.

Any player giving less than 100% doesn't stand a chance of remaining in Gerard's plans!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Gerard has five or six weeks to decide his priorities. He seems to have a sponge like ability to soak up club related info very quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has formed strong opinions on immediate requirements already.

The period between now and the transfer window will probably reinforce, or maybe in some cases change one or two of those opinions, so this is a finite first team trial for all our players. SG is obsessive about winning and he has a lot of coaching 'eyes and ears' at his disposal, so nothing to do with attitude and attributes will be missed.

It's bust a gut time, hang on to every word time, chuck the play station time, early to bed time, focus, focus, focus, focus time.

Any player giving less than 100% doesn't stand a chance of remaining in Gerard's plans!

I agree with every word....and its so good looking forward.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am hoping ours do, because on his day, he can do things others can only dream about, but those magical moments as they are, are not enough...we need more from him.

I must say, I thought he was out injured, more than he actually is/was.....but this season the stop starts with injuries and international breaks, has confused me, on this.

He has scored a goal in 4.75 games with us, not great, but not bad either for a winger.....but he needs working on to get more game involvement and threat, from him.

To continue the mutual "love in" I couldn't agree more.  I think that having Bailey, Buendia, Bertie and (possibly / controversially Ollie) as "wide" attackers supporting a more central striker provides a really challenge to opposition defenders.  See off Bailey and on come Bertie to try something different.  Half the time I am not sure Bertie knows what he is about to do so the defender has no chance.  The challenge is that the rest of the team need to be able to control the games well enough so that these flair players get the chance to do the unexpected whilst also realising that they need to contribute in other ways too.  There's no room for passengers.  But there is room for that guy who can turn a match with one piece of genius.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eh, he was subbed in or subbed out in a lot of those games. He scored  1 goal every 3.7 full games last season which is pretty good.

• Like 2