Jump to content

January Transfer Window - 2022


MaVilla
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think the obvious area we could improve on is left wing back if we persist with the 3-5-2 (Unless we have plans to plan Bailey there). 
I like Targett, but think he's suited more as a left back than a left wing back. 

Maybe a reserve GK aswell.

I still think we'll go big on a central midfielder in the Summer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, we definitely need a more dynamic, pacey and aggressive left back to really complete this 3 - 5 - 2 system. Targett is competent but probably not mobile or clinical enough.
Maybe harsh but we're talking fine tuning now. A baller centre half who can play right back and CDM too. And yes, a reserve keeper. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Nakamba is showing us that a replacement is not needed and that he is the right man for the job. He is playing really well and he is currently our bench DM, I really can't see us getting any better quality DM to come in and replace Nakamba on the bench

We need a player talented enough to play CDM / single pivot with a back 4. Luiz isn't good enough to play lone CDM / Single Pivot when we play 2 CBs. Nakamba doesn't have the passing skills to play that either. So the no1 signing for next summer is to find that player in which case Nakamba is surplus to requirements or we keep him as cover and run down his final year of contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the obvious area we could improve on is left wing back if we persist with the 3-5-2 (Unless we have plans to plan Bailey there). 
I like Targett, but think he's suited more as a left back than a left wing back. 

Maybe a reserve GK aswell.

I still think we'll go big on a central midfielder in the Summer. 

We need a Left Back / Left Wing back next summer as Young is only temporary cover. 

3 5 2 won't be our formation for most games. It doesn't fit Bailey, Traore, Buendia etc.. in unless we adapt it to be more of a 3 4 1 2 where we play wingers in place of wing backs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah, we definitely need a more dynamic, pacey and aggressive left back to really complete this 3 - 5 - 2 system. Targett is competent but probably not mobile or clinical enough.
Maybe harsh but we're talking fine tuning now. A baller centre half who can play right back and CDM too. And yes, a reserve keeper. 

We have one already in our squad and his name is super john mcginn !!! I know he will never play there but my god in this system his aggressiveness great crossing ability and relentless running and strength would be a nightmare to deal with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shame we didn't pick up Gabriel Gudmundsson from Groningen before Lille signed him (for €6m). Think he could become a really good player and he'd be perfect for the LWB role. Used to be a winger just like Cash.

Not quite ready yet thou so would have been for the more long term.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

Are we again positive towards the idea of selling AEG for 10m? People will never learn. Why should we sell for 10m if a smiliar player with similar amount of goals will cost us 20 or 30m? 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Taxahunter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

It think from here on jn it will be not much more then 2 in 2 out fine tuning.

As others have said above, a back up keeper, who has to be a really good up and comer or a 35ish top class keeper winding down their career, no good keeper in their late 20s is coming to play 2nd fiddle to one of the best keepers in the world.

We need Targett 100%, we need a Lwing back too, gives us any option we want vs anyone.

If there is a really top class CM/CDM out there that is getable, that takes us to another level, I'd do it.

Other then that it's the kids, we might well have a group of you'll never win anything with kids level of talent here.

After that, it's nit picking opportunities and upgrading already really good players with even better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Are we again positive towards the idea of selling AEG for 10m? People will never learn. Why should we sell for 10m if a smiliar player with similar amount of goals will cost us 20 or 30m? 🤦‍♂️

Because he’s limited and he’s a 4th backup (probably will be 4th by the time JPB gets a proper run). So getting a 10m is definitely shrewd idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

Are we again positive towards the idea of selling AEG for 10m? People will never learn. Why should we sell for 10m if a smiliar player with similar amount of goals will cost us 20 or 30m? 🤦‍♂️

Agreed. 

We've got something approximating a balanced squad and strength in depth for the first time in eons. 

The club don't need £10 million that badly and the player himself has expressed no desire to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

Are we again positive towards the idea of selling AEG for 10m? People will never learn. Why should we sell for 10m if a smiliar player with similar amount of goals will cost us 20 or 30m? 🤦‍♂️

we dont need to spend 20-30m for a replacement, we have Aaron Ramsey coming through & Bidace already pushing for his squad position.

Selling El Ghazi would just be straight profit, we dont need to replace him, we can replace him from the youth setup.

Next summer i really think El Ghazi will be surplus to requirements, hopefully A.Ramsey will progress to the senior squad fringes, Bidace will cement his place in the squad also, job done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Pretty smug position to know we have a load of cash in January if we need it, but most likely do not need to panic buy anybody in that window - subject to injuries.

That sounds a little too much like a City fan for my liking. I would prefer something along the lines of... we are very fortunate to know we have well funded and supportive owners that can invest in Jan if the right opportunity arises.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah, we definitely need a more dynamic, pacey and aggressive left back to really complete this 3 - 5 - 2 system. Targett is competent but probably not mobile or clinical enough.
Maybe harsh but we're talking fine tuning now. A baller centre half who can play right back and CDM too. And yes, a reserve keeper. 

With the seemingly outstanding academy, we will eventually be able to pool more resources into 1, or 2 exceptional players to compliment in future, instead of needing lots.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Are we again positive towards the idea of selling AEG for 10m? People will never learn. Why should we sell for 10m if a smiliar player with similar amount of goals will cost us 20 or 30m? 🤦‍♂️

He will have a year left on his contract next summer and he will be playing next to no football unless we get injuries. He won't sign any extension and then we keep him around with Trez and run down the last years of their contracts? That makes no financial sense. AEG is a saleable asset in a position we are well stocked in, he's the 5th best wide player at the club after Bailey, Buendia, Traore and JPB. 

He needs to move on with our thanks and he's fully capable of regular first team football in any of the top 5 leagues.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

It think from here on jn it will be not much more then 2 in 2 out fine tuning.

As others have said above, a back up keeper, who has to be a really good up and comer or a 35ish top class keeper winding down their career, no good keeper in their late 20s is coming to play 2nd fiddle to one of the best keepers in the world.

We need Targett 100%, we need a Lwing back too, gives us any option we want vs anyone.

If there is a really top class CM/CDM out there that is getable, that takes us to another level, I'd do it.

Other then that it's the kids, we might well have a group of you'll never win anything with kids level of talent here.

After that, it's nit picking opportunities and upgrading already really good players with even better.

Yeah I see those 3 same positions. Left back / wing back. Top class CDM (if we can get one). Reserve GK. Sign Axel too

Ones to move out would be Trez, AEG, Wesley, Davis, Guilbert, only extend Young if we failed to get the LB.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I have an emotional dilemma.

Some part of me would like to see how the existing team might grow and blossom. There is always a Chemistry risk with bringing new players. 

To me it does not make much sense spending big money to compete with the big boys' model.  Villais on its way to becoming a super attractive club again. 

I understand we will have to keep an eye on those with short (or little time on their) contracts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the obvious area we could improve on is left wing back if we persist with the 3-5-2 (Unless we have plans to plan Bailey there). 
I like Targett, but think he's suited more as a left back than a left wing back. 

Maybe a reserve GK aswell.

I still think we'll go big on a central midfielder in the Summer. 

I agree with LWB and backup keeper, but not sure about midfield unless we lose someone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Personally I have an emotional dilemma.

Some part of me would like to see how the existing team might grow and blossom. There is always a Chemistry risk with bringing new players. 

To me it does not make much sense spending big money to compete with the big boys' model.  Villais on its way to becoming a super attractive club again. 

I understand we will have to keep an eye on those with short (or little time on their) contracts. 

I can't see us spending big money in the next couple of years. CDM probably the only position we would pay 30-40m for the right player next summer.

We'll have a reduced wage bill if we can move on some players and we can bank fees for a few players too. New contracts for Martinez, Luiz and Hause will increase the wage bill somewhat though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â