January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Without keeping this off topic the British Empire says hi … Back to transfers i wonder if we’d consider loaning out Sanson to Uber Eats league  to focus on his match fitness. McKennie can then replace Dougiw who we move upfield. 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Without keeping this off topic the British Empire says hi … Back to transfers i wonder if we’d consider loaning out Sanson to Uber Eats league  to focus on his match fitness. McKennie can then replace Dougiw who we move upfield. 

Happily have McKennie here but think he'd be better used in front of Luiz. A holding role is not where his attributes are best used from what I've seen.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Playing in that league is what meant he wasn’t up to speed when we signed him. 

He’s better off staying here. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Currently when people think of Saudi Arabia people think of Khashoggi and dead children in Yemen. They aim to change that 

Exactly. They want you to associate Saudi Arabia with a fat geordie who's naked from the waist up and has "TOON ARMY" tattooed across his beer belly in a terrible font. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Steero113 said:

They would still want to see a return regardless of their wealth. 

If you bought one of the big clubs for 1.5x what it was worth, its very unlikely they would see any of that back. 

£300m on Newcastle can very easily be worth £900m in a few years. 

Yeah but you are thinking of the micro level not the macro level.  You are thinking an investment in Newcastle requires a return from Newcastle. I bet they are thinking investment in Entertainment (inc. football) as a whole will get a return in their other businesses.  They have a bad image at the moment, they cloud that by investment in entertainment to try to look better to people, politicians, countries and entities so it doesn’t affect profit in their real cash cows of oil so losing a billion here or there in entertainment to look better will be paid back multi-fold from oil if they keep everybody happy or at least misdirect people’s attention.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't worry about Newcastle ecplipsing us or buying players we are after in January, we have clever owners, they have stupid owners, doesn't matter how much money they have, they are still stupid.

And how did you come to the conclusion that they are stupid?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

And how did you come to the conclusion that they are stupid?

I think Staveley sounds and looks stupid, the PIF golf guy not very smart, the Ruben brothers I don't have an opinion on really, but if they team up with Staveley and the Saudi mass murderer State and thinks it's a good match for an English football club, then they are also stupid.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but you are thinking of the micro level not the macro level.  You are thinking an investment in Newcastle requires a return from Newcastle. I bet they are thinking investment in Entertainment (inc. football) as a whole will get a return in their other businesses.  They have a bad image at the moment, they cloud that by investment in entertainment to try to look better to people, politicians, countries and entities so it doesn’t affect profit in their real cash cows of oil so losing a billion here or there in entertainment to look better will be paid back multi-fold from oil if they keep everybody happy or at least misdirect people’s attention.

The media has talked about sports washing, but what will be interesting is whether players who haven’t been shy in taking a stance on issues with racism, politics etc, will they refuse to go to Newcastle with the owners history of human rights abuses or will money talk?

• Like 1

Anyone reckon the Newcastle takeover, amongst other things will have put an extra " Battery " in the back of the owners?

They might want to speed up moves, targets and other ambitious plans, to try and keep some sort of head start while we can.

I wouldn't be surprised if unexpected things happened.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone reckon the Newcastle takeover, amongst other things will have put an extra " Battery " in the back of the owners?

They might want to speed up moves, targets and other ambitious plans, to try and keep some sort of head start while we can.

I wouldn't be surprised if unexpected things happened.

I hope so. Or at least brings forward their investment plans for the next couple years. The possibility of Newcastle being to NSWE as Man City was to Lerner frightens me so hopefully Wes and Nassef have a renewed impetus with the increased competition

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 01:01, QldVilla said:

The media has talked about sports washing, but what will be interesting is whether players who haven’t been shy in taking a stance on issues with racism, politics etc, will they refuse to go to Newcastle with the owners history of human rights abuses or will money talk?

Sadly money talks, or swears. The players began taking a knee, not that it’s a bad thing, when they were under some moral pressure over staff being furlowed etc and they were happily keeping their mind blowing wages. The excuse they made for this was that because they earn so much they were paying lots of tax and therefore supporting the NHS. They forgot to mention that they also made even more money from other commercial sponsors and all of them employed very expensive accountants to “manage” their tax affairs. Along comes the sad case across the pond and the media savvy agent controlled players jumped on the distraction bandwagon and suddenly their greed is yesterday’s news. Take a knee not a pay cut!  

I’ve nothing against taking the knee at all. It highlights a problem that me as a boy of the 60s saw plenty of growing up in Brum but never experienced directly being white. So I’m therefore reluctant to comment, as I probably don’t really understand. However my point is that, when privileged and rich sportsmen stand up against abuse of any kind it is a good thing. However when they conveniently turn a blind eye if it hits them in the pay packet, then the argument is considerably weakened. Certainly in the eyes of the racists. The very fact that the FA and PL have allowed a blatant fudge of the rules in allowing a murderous state to control a major football club is as appalling as it is predictable. The first major player to say “NO! I won’t take their filthy blood soaked lucra,”should be applauded to the heavens and hopefully should set a fine example that’s followed by all. Sadly I’m not holding my breath. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

The possibility of Newcastle being to NSWE as Man City was to Lerner frightens me 

Can't see this being the case at all, these owners and management team are different gravy. I'd say they might even see it as an exciting challenge.

Weve been hit with many of the same challenges we were during the Lerner / Eliis era etc, both on the playing side, and non playing side, and we continue to climb those hurdles.

These challenges will always exist in Football, it's about having the balls to confront them head on without fear. I see our current setup as " fearless ", and with enough clout to do so.

The way I see it, it won't be us necessarily suffering the most from Newcastle, it will be other clubs.

We still have enough wealth to challenge up there and even leapfrog a team or two. We just have to continue to be meticulous in our planning and execution.

• Like 3

Issue with Lerner and Abu Dhabi was that our foundations were built on sand and quickly disintegrated. We are on a whole different level of stability nowadays so we shouldn't worry about them and focus on us. We may lose out on targets to them initially but we will have done our due diligence and have multiple options per position. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Issue with Lerner and Abu Dhabi was that our foundations were built on sand and quickly disintegrated. We are on a whole different level of stability nowadays so we shouldn't worry about them and focus on us. We may lose out on targets to them initially but we will have done our due diligence and have multiple options per position. 

Problem with Newcastle takeover is that it will put additional inflationary pressure on transfer market, indirectly affecting all buying clubs. 

It's great for clubs looking to sell their assets, although imagine the meltdown here if we were to sell one of our best players to Newcastle 😊