Pre-match thread

ender4

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Didn't we play three at the back a couple of games after that, then quite rightly so imo changed back to 4-3-3 as three at the back often makes us to static. I'm not much against playing it away against the very best teams though.

I think we went with it again in the 1-6 against City yeah then it was scrapped. 

Yeah in a back 5 I don't know why Young and Bailey can't be the wing backs as they'll get forward better than Cash and Targett too.

Chelsea are playing CHO at RWB and he's naturally a winger.

Good to see Ollie back though and the bench looks good. I'm unsure on the change of formation but we'll find out soon enough if it works. 

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Other than Dougie & McGinn thats an all English side. Dont see that often in the PL

No not really - I quite like that we have a squad of of English players. Always good to see that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Again I think it’s our midfield that causes concern here. They effectively have 4 in there against our 3. Plus none of our 3 are known for commanding their area or winning the ball. 

Only chance we have is to bypass it with long balls and hope it sticks with our two up top. Thing is it might just work. Ollie and Ings could do it for us here. 

Alternatively one of the back three has to step out to counter the Chelsea AMCs. 

Someone mentioned the back three being static. I don’t think it has to be if it’s coached right. Fingers crossed we’ve been working on it more on the training ground this season.

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You just know if he comes 9n he's going to look like prime Everton Barkley rather than the washed out version we had. 

Pretty sure Tuchel thinks he's shit, so only keeping a seat warm. No way he'll get game time. 

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Other than Dougie & McGinn thats an all English side. Dont see that often in the PL

To be fair only really Burnley play mostly English players. Not sure I really want us to be like them 🤣  

The PL has become globalised and cosmopolitan which is a good thing. Mix of English players and foreign works best and what the best sides have.

2 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Long balls to Ings and Watkins then. Cant see anything in that midfield 3 to get us up the field or hurt them on the counter. 

Sometimes it’s a legitimate tactic it’s nice to have options.