Match Thread: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Just now, The_Rev said:

We've got to do something about their press, it's relentless and it's gonna cost us.

Yeah.

Annoyingly we've played around it nicely twice and the first touch was shite and we gave it back to them.

Just now, KentVillan said:

I have a feeling the rules were changed re what counted as "in control" of the ball? Used to be two hands on the ball? Now it's basically any kind of possession?

Was it, anyway the right decision was made. 

• Like 1

Encouraging, pleased to see we have a resilience about us despite any setbacks…

Ollie will really help us if/when he comes on too.

Buendia is only going to go from strength to strength, lovely goal.

First game I've actually been able to watch live this season. 

Though Konsa is a better defender in terms of the physical work, I think we're missing Mings' organisation at the back. It's a little bit too last ditch at times. Definitely missing McGinn's tenacity in the middle.

However, Chukwuemeka is looking very promising. I think he's got a big future ahead of him. AEG playing well, great goal from Buendia. Once we have everyone fully fit and firing I think we'll see a totally different team. 

It’s a good game. Very open. Our goal was really well taken, and I’m impressed with how cool and elegant Chuk looks. If you told me he was a five year PL veteran, I’d not second guess it. Very comfortable. 

Mings out is noticable in our own box. And hopefully Ollie can come in and contribute in some capacity. Ings is great, but Ollie adds the physique, speed and movement that would really make it uncomfortable for them. 

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I have a feeling the rules were changed re what counted as "in control" of the ball? Used to be two hands on the ball? Now it's basically any kind of control with either hand, or mid kicking motion?

I think you’re right.

I seem to remember discussion around the releasing and kicking of the ball still counting as if the GK was holding it, to prevent potential injuries.

People would be sticking feet in on every kick otherwise and it’s a recipe for disaster.

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Because everyone knows you can't do it 🤣

It's like saying you haven't seen someone pick the ball up and run into the opposition's net.

Clearly you don't remember Nyland against Sheff Utd, although that was technically ruled out I guess 

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Really enjoying this game. They’re doing well considering the players that are missing.

What Ming's and Ramsey? if we can't win a game with those 2 players missing, we are in proper trouble this season. An before you say Watkin's, Ing's should be good enough cover for him.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

What Ming's and Ramsey? if we can't win a game with those 2 players missing, we are in proper trouble this season. An before you say Watkin's, Ing's should be good enough cover for him.

McGinn missing too!

3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Young in the more central role isn't working great imo, get Ollie on and let Carney and Dougie sit deeper

Young in the middle AND Chuck really isn’t the best formula against a well drilled Brentford. We have little choice though