Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/08/21 at 22:59

point is fine given the context of players available. Frustrating as we have big games coming up after the break, but our side is in constant flux thanks to the injuries etc. Our ideal XI on form would not have had 5 or 6 of those players starting. Now time to work onplayers fitness, hope Ezri is not out too long and then prepare for the tough games after the break. We'll need to reverse the halves of the season of last year and aim for a very strong finish

• Haha 1

Hard fought point. We need our first choice central defenders back, but plenty of positives. Chuk played a great first half. The team showed plenty of attacking endeavour but also competed well throughout. We adapted well to the loss of key players, there was a first goal for Buendia, who also put a shift in and Ollie back up front looked sharp! Lots to enjoy.

El Ghazi played really well today.

Great to see Watkins back and looking pretty sharp, unlucky not to have scored particularly with his second effort.

Ings / Konsa should have done better with their chances just after we equalised.

Still some dodgy moments in defence, hopefully that starts to settle down though looking like we’ll be without Mings and Konsa now for a while perhaps.

Considering the players we have to come back I think there are positives to take, shame for Archer he didn’t get on toward the end.

One in the eye for all the El Ghazi haters.

Not much to get excited about from the rest of them. Nice goal from Buendía and plenty of industry but needs to tidy up his ball retention. Too many hoofs from defence for my liking. Fair result but one we really needed to win with our upcoming fixture list.

• Like 1

Poor today....no pattern of play...one...two...maybe three passes....hoof down line.

Couple of individual moments...beundia goal...el ghazi tracking back.

To obvious when we play.

Really need someone I the middle who wants the ball amd can dictate a game 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

A midfield composed of a 17 year old debutant and a RB 20 years older than him playing pretty much his first ever game in CM?

Is it that concerning considering we will likely never ever play that midfield combination again? 

It’s concerning because it isn’t just this game in isolation. Watford did it to us in our first game, and it happened a lot last season. Martinez kept us in a lot of games last season with the amount of saves he made.

1 minute ago, Bazmonkey said:

Poor today....no pattern of play...one...two...maybe three passes....hoof down line.

Couple of individual moments...beundia goal...el ghazi tracking back.

To obvious when we play.

Really need someone I the middle who wants the ball amd can dictate a game 

But Smith reckons we don't need any more players!

• Like 1

Looking at the line up before the game, I was fearful. A point in those circumstances is OK I guess.

Lets hope we have our injured players back asap. A full strength team wins that. 

• Like 1

Just now, pacbuddies said:

But Smith reckons we don't need any more players!

We're missing Mings, McGinn, Sanson, J Ramsey, Bailey, Traore and a fully fit Watkins today. 

I don't think we can judge the strength of the team based on todays line up. 

• Like 3

As others have said, I haven’t seen a refereeing performance that bad for many a year. It was awful. Missing challenges that should’ve been given, or even booked, and then blowing for minute little fouls and booking those. It felt one sided but I think both sides had rubbish decisions 

Could not believe how scummy Brentford were. The playacting from their right back (I think?) was shocking.

Could believe how dire the ref was. His incompetence leading to yet another key player's injury is the most believable thing in the world.

Some good things, though. AEG carrying the fire, Targett looking more like himself after the first 15 or so, a brilliant goal to get Em10 off the mark, Chuk looking just fine (in fact, we needed to look for him more, he was often in space looking to receive the ball but we just passed it back out hit it down the line), Ollie getting minutes and chances, etc.

Probably would've taken the point beforehand with all the absences, but can't help but feel we would've edged it in a cleaner game.

El Ghazi and Buendia were quality today.

Chukwuemeka isn't ready yet. Not to be harsh considering his age, but it wouldn't be so bad if he upped the tempo a bit. Plods his way around the pitch. Could probably do with a loan away, but I'm not sure where. Not physical enough yet for lower leagues, doesn't work hard enough for the Championship. Perhaps somewhere in Europe or the MLS might be a good fit. Incredibly promising for a 17 year old though. When he gets his man-strength in about 6 years time, he'll be world class.

Douglas Luiz needs a Monster energy drink. He's always half-asleep. Again, frustrating because he's clearly talented.

Everyone else was decent, considering the late forced changes. Good to see Targett looking more like himself.

We just don't play well against hard working, pressing teams. Referee was horrendous, but at least VAR didn't get involved with Korts near the end.

Â