Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/08/21 at 22:59

38 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Fair result in the end although had Oli come on earlier might had been a different story.Ref and linesman over our side dreadful.We aren’t the pretty team we used to be who would get bullied out of games and opposing fans would praise after beating us as I said pre match we  have a more  physical aggressive mid field.We have been lucky that our first 3 games have been against under strength sides but you have take that as not one of our squad has ever played in the PL.
          Although I’ve seen all the previous games in recent years at Villa Park this is the first time I’ve seen it with 42000 in and what an impressive sight it is in a truly wonderful stadium.Oli got a great reception from our fans and as expected Dean Smith congratulated his former players after the game the mans class.Also good to see Bees fans mingling and chatting with Villa fans at the station after the game all very civil.Very different from my experiences over the other side of the city.

Shame your centre forward had to give them a collective rimjob.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

And Smith has chosen not to go and invest in another midfielder despite having to draft in 17 year olds due to our player unavailability. 

And then when everyone is back, we have way too many CMs and completely wasted money on players who won't even get into the squad. 

Well I couldnt watch or follow yesterday but from what I've just calmly read over the last 11 pages it seems I was probably better off.

Half a team missing and still get a point, that's progress to me (yes sometimes I'm easily pleased)

@chappy deffo relocate, there are seats available up in K4 and can highly recommend row 34

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We had a tougher start last season too.

But actually you've misunderstood - I was referring to the equivalent games last season (i.e. Sheff U = Watford, Newcastle, Brentford = Fulham). We won all of them.

We lost away to Sheff Utd last season. 

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

And if we did buy new players, would they have a chance to get familiar with the team and their role in it? Or would they also need replacing if they didn't perform literally immediately?

Its game three of a season that barely had a pre-season. If this was midway through the season I might agree with you but you always get weird results in the early games, particularly if you've bought or sold a lot of players. I mean, I seem to remember Man City had a bad start to the season last year but it didn't hold them back too much.

Not sure what you're on about.  Where have I mentioned anything about new players settling?

The issues we have had so far this season, are the same ones we've had for years, in that our central midfield failed to control the game.

We've not changed or added to this area of the squad, so I expect the same to continue.

My point was that teams who openly state they want European qualification should be beating teams who are relegation candidates, which all 3 or our opponents to date have been.

The post I responded to, was saying that a draw was a good result as we were missing 4/5 players.  My response being that if our squad was good enough, as a team expecting European qualification, we should be able to deal with this.

To your point about players settling, Martinez, Cash, Target, Luiz, AEG, Konsa, were all here last season.  Young is a seasoned pro and played here before so shouldn't need much settling.  Similarly, Tuanzebe has played here before, and played well tbf.  Buendia was also better than his first 2 games.  Ings scored in both of his first 2 games, so who are you implying hasn't settled?

To me, it seems pretty clear that our squad isn't of sufficient quality to get into Europe.  I actually think this squad will struggle to repeat last seasons 11th place.  Nothing to do with settling, and everything to do with squad balance and quality.

• Like 2

Watched the highlights today but it looked as though Villa should have won. I think this is good considering all the injuries we have.

El Ghazi looked MOTM for me, quick, skillful, beating defenders, some good crosses and tracking back to defend.

I just hope we can see Bailey, Watkins, Ings, Traore and Buendia all on the pitch at some point soon.

16 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Not sure what you're on about.  Where have I mentioned anything about new players settling?

The issues we have had so far this season, are the same ones we've had for years, in that our central midfield failed to control the game.

We've not changed or added to this area of the squad, so I expect the same to continue.

My point was that teams who openly state they want European qualification should be beating teams who are relegation candidates, which all 3 or our opponents to date have been.

The post I responded to, was saying that a draw was a good result as we were missing 4/5 players.  My response being that if our squad was good enough, as a team expecting European qualification, we should be able to deal with this.

To your point about players settling, Martinez, Cash, Target, Luiz, AEG, Konsa, were all here last season.  Young is a seasoned pro and played here before so shouldn't need much settling.  Similarly, Tuanzebe has played here before, and played well tbf.  Buendia was also better than his first 2 games.  Ings scored in both of his first 2 games, so who are you implying hasn't settled?

To me, it seems pretty clear that our squad isn't of sufficient quality to get into Europe.  I actually think this squad will struggle to repeat last seasons 11th place.  Nothing to do with settling, and everything to do with squad balance and quality.

I dont think its the squad,I think the players lack motovation.We dont seem to start to play till we are behind and Vs Brentford I thought we were pretty flat for most of the game.

5 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Fair result in the end although had Oli come on earlier might had been a different story.Ref and linesman over our side dreadful.We aren’t the pretty team we used to be who would get bullied out of games and opposing fans would praise after beating us as I said pre match we  have a more  physical aggressive mid field.We have been lucky that our first 3 games have been against under strength sides but you have take that as not one of our squad has ever played in the PL.
          Although I’ve seen all the previous games in recent years at Villa Park this is the first time I’ve seen it with 42000 in and what an impressive sight it is in a truly wonderful stadium.Oli got a great reception from our fans and as expected Dean Smith congratulated his former players after the game the mans class.Also good to see Bees fans mingling and chatting with Villa fans at the station after the game all very civil.Very different from my experiences over the other side of the city.

Very genuinely Impressive seeing the Brentford fans applauding Watkins. Some great fans on the train too. How it should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont think its the squad,I think the players lack motovation.We dont seem to start to play till we are behind and Vs Brentford I thought we were pretty flat for most of the game.

Do you think we lacked motivation last season too?

5 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

My point is that it's not as simple as saying "our second string should still be able to beat relegation candidates" (even if that were true, which is in itself debatable).

Players being unfit or not having settled means that they may not be performing as well as they will once the season gets going, but you're advocating replacing them anyway because the team isn't good enough.

Targett looks unfit. I refuse to believe Buendia has hit his ceiling already. Chukwuemeka was making his first competitive start, so I'd expect him to improve significantly. Young has only been at club for three games, as has Ings. You don't think they'll improve in the future as they get more familiar with their teammates?

Clearly they will. So why not see what they're capable of before demanding we replace them?

On 28/08/2021 at 17:02, pacbuddies said:

4 points from a possible 9 against 3 of the poorest teams in the division is a reflection on Smith's ability. The sooner the owners realise we are going nowhere with him in charge and sack him the better!

not sure how you attracted 6 confused votes....I thought your stance was pretty clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ref absolutely ruined the game.

Guy was desperate for attention and all those early cards resulted in a more cautious approach from both teams.

Incredibly boring game, and a terrible result considering the fixture list coming up. We needed some confidence before Everton, Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea and all we got was a point at home against a newly promoted side.

Not good. Concerned how the team will react to a poor start to the season.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Ref absolutely ruined the game.

Guy was desperate for attention and all those early cards resulted in a more cautious approach from both teams.

Incredibly boring game, and a terrible result considering the fixture list coming up. We needed some confidence before Everton, Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea and all we got was a point at home against a newly promoted side.

Not good. Concerned how the team will react to a poor start to the season.

If we had a fully fit team then it'd be a poor result. But with our injuries? It's pretty far from "terrible".

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If we had a fully fit team then it'd be a poor result. But with our injuries? It's pretty far from "terrible".

It's Brentford chap. Not Man City.

Or are you actually trying to convince me we need a fully strength side in order to look good against Brentford?

If that is the case what the f*** are we supposed to do if these are long term injuries?

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 17:03, TheAuthority said:

2nd half we finally made their keeper make (easy) saves in the dying mins - both from Ollie.

Other than that neither keeper was involved. The ref was PL average standard i.e. beyond horrific. Remember Euro 2020/21 when we were praising them and asking why we can't import some European refs? The English refs are just terrible.

Brentford came to spoil the party. They were very niggly and the time wasting and slowing the game down - well it's a tactic but I thought they were this pure footballing team?

They'll stay up - I was disappointed that our new captain came out and said that we probably won't get Europe. I think we'll finish around 10th but he still should be bigging us up.

UTV

I think they have cottoned on to how you stay up.....pure footballing is what Norwich tried and failed.

I too was surprised in their transformation to a more physical approach, but I think they have done the right thing, for them....they were still half decent in the finer arts, but a fit first team from us, would have been too much for them, I think.

• Like 1

Â