Being late

KentVillan

20 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Avoid public transport!

Yeah - last 2 weekends 2 trains to Brum, plus local trains 3 out of 4 late by 30 minutes. Still, compo incoming.

46 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I get stuck on the **** M42, then I'm late as ****.

That rather spoils your point   :)

• Haha 1

We’re going out ‘later’ for a little something to eat at a friend’s house.

We’ve agreed we’ll get there ‘sometime after 6:00’

It takes 40 minutes to get there, my missus is ready and has switched stuff off, closed doors… ready.

It is now my job to drag this out so we don’t rock up at 5:00pm for something ‘sometime whenever after 6:00 no rush there’s no actual cooking’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I hate it when someone suggests they’ll come round “after” 5 (or other hour).

Is that 5:05? 5:15? 9:30? 
What does it mean? Do I have to stay up until 3am just in case they turn up?

In my head, it’s between 6:00 and 6:15

That appears to be the same for everyone I personally would count as one of my friends.

It’s what these folks are expecting tonight. It does not mean 7:30pm It definitely doesn’t mean 5:10pm

The idea is to show that this is a relaxed informal don’t stress yourself event. I can guarantee all the males there will have grasped this fact. They will turn up at about or around 6:15 wearing clothes that are slightly better than if they’d stayed home and were mooching around the shed. Other people present may not have picked up the same signal from the after 6:00, no elaborate food is being cooked message.

There will be women present (I could name them) that will have bought new clothes to eat crisps in someone else’s garden.

I could be wrong, but I’m not. 

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In my head, it’s between 6:00 and 6:15

That appears to be the same for everyone I personally would count as one of my friends.

It’s what these folks are expecting tonight. It does not mean 7:30pm It definitely doesn’t mean 5:10pm

The idea is to show that this is a relaxed informal don’t stress yourself event. I can guarantee all the males there will have grasped this fact. They will turn up at about or around 6:15 wearing clothes that are slightly better than if they’d stayed home and were mooching around the shed. Other people present may not have picked up the same signal from the after 6:00, no elaborate food is being cooked message.

There will be women present (I could name them) that will have bought new clothes to eat crisps in someone else’s garden.

I could be wrong, but I’m not. 

spacer.png

On 27/08/2021 at 12:33, El Zen said:

Worst case scenario is we have to stop for a moose crossing the road. We don’t need a 30 min margin for that. 

Based on my experience in Canada, a far worse case is not stopping for a moose crossing the road. You'll be just late, as in late, the late Arthur Dent.

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Based on my experience in Canada, a far worse case is not stopping for a moose crossing the road. You'll be just late, as in late, the late Arthur Dent.

Oh, absolutely. I’ve actually had to stop for moose a few times, and it certainly makes the heart race. 

On 28/08/2021 at 12:38, KentVillan said:

Surprised how many people are saying early / punctual. An interesting glimpse into the social psychology of VT.

I’m not naturally very punctual but I force myself because I know it annoys people. My worst thing is planning journeys on public transport. Always go for the option that gets you there bang on time, and then any delay makes you late 😳

This has got a lot better now that I can take all my meetings on video call.

I'm a bit more fluid when it comes to family or close friends. With my folks, when I go round, i never give a time. I just say to them i'll be leaving mine about 11am, I'll see you when I get there. Same with the lads... if we're on an all-dayer in the pub, the meeting time is 'from 1pm' and people turn up when they're ready! 

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I hate it when someone suggests they’ll come round “after” 5 (or other hour).

Is that 5:05? 5:15? 9:30? 
What does it mean? Do I have to stay up until 3am just in case they turn up?

Massively annoying. I want a 15 minute window as close to 5pm as possible. 

• Like 1

Â