Australian Rules Football

Eidolon

On 27/08/2021 at 22:20, Hornso said:

Yeah, they’re the Demons hences ‘Dees’.

They have red in their uniform but it’s mostly a navy blue.

image.jpeg.39a82099c79cdb0d0ae7bccb185c94de.jpeg

Could be their year for the first time since 1964!

I went to see them in 06, I thought going to the MCG and watching Melbourne FC would be packed but there was **** all people there!  May have just been a quiet day as the people of Melbourne must have so much choice.  I preferred the atmosphere at the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

On 12/09/2021 at 10:05, sharkyvilla said:

I went to see them in 06, I thought going to the MCG and watching Melbourne FC would be packed but there was **** all people there!  May have just been a quiet day as the people of Melbourne must have so much choice.  I preferred the atmosphere at the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

It's long story regarding the formation of the league, but Melbourne and it's surrounding suburbs make up half the competition. Of those teams, in recent times definitely Melbourne is one of the worst supported mainly due to lack of success in the past 50 years or so. 

Also, their supporters have the stereotype of being wealthy & affluent who come the middle of winter will be taking their Range Rover up to the Victorian ski fields as opposed to toughing it out on a cold & windy day at the MCG.

But you're right, from the outside you'd expect the side named "Melbourne" to have a huge following. 

4 hours ago, Hornso said:

It's long story regarding the formation of the league, but Melbourne and it's surrounding suburbs make up half the competition. Of those teams, in recent times definitely Melbourne is one of the worst supported mainly due to lack of success in the past 50 years or so. 

Also, their supporters have the stereotype of being wealthy & affluent who come the middle of winter will be taking their Range Rover up to the Victorian ski fields as opposed to toughing it out on a cold & windy day at the MCG.

But you're right, from the outside you'd expect the side named "Melbourne" to have a huge following. 

Very much this, for big crowds you want your Colligwoods, your Richmonds etc. For me though as far as atmosphere you cant beat a good Showdown (The Adelaide vs Port Adelaide derby) with the Vic rivalries being so watered down because there are so many teams from such a small area and Fremantle never having really threatened West Coast in their history its the only real rivalry of the modern game with the kind of heat in it that would be familiar to an English football fan. The unique and complicated history of the formation of The Adelaide Crows and how that relates to Port make it one of the more interesting rivalries in world sport when you get into the details.

Andrew McLeod being snubbed for the Brownlow medal, and not just once I might add, is part of the reason I completely stopped following AFL. The man was a magician and an artist, by far my favourite of all time.

Seeing as you are from Adelaide, and they were my childhood team, honorable mentions go to Tony Modra, the Jarman brothers, Mark Ricciuto, Simon Goodwin, Mark Bickley, and that whole '97 and '98 ensemble.

My Dad being born in 1954 and bred in Footscrazy meant he has always been a Bulldogs man. I converted to the doggies to please the old fella somewhere along the track, but have never really followed the game for a solid 15 or so years.

Watched the Bulldogs finals run and glory in 2016 though. Haven't watched anything outside of highlights against Brisbane this season. You never know I might tune in this Saturday.

You know Luke Shuey? Norm Smith medalist for the West Coast Eagles? He and I were good mates and the rovers for our local club in my early teens. I polled more votes per game than him in the league's best and fairest in our final year playing together, but gave it up for basketball.

Edited by A'Villan

even as a Port fan you have to love McLeod (He was a magpie first :P)

every Port fan knows Luke Shuey and none of us have anything nice to say after THAT goal in finals.

I immigrated too late to play footy, I played soccer until transitioning and anorexia destroyed my athletic ability but I have a few friends who made/almost made it. The most notable being Sam Colquhoun (played for Port for a couple of years and then Sturt as your typical too good for the SANFL not good enough for the AFL mid)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eidolon said:

even as a Port fan you have to love McLeod (He was a magpie first :P)

every Port fan knows Luke Shuey and none of us have anything nice to say after THAT goal in finals.

I immigrated too late to play footy, I played soccer until transitioning and anorexia destroyed my athletic ability but I have a few friends who made/almost made it. The most notable being Sam Colquhoun (played for Port for a couple of years and then Sturt as your typical too good for the SANFL not good enough for the AFL mid)

Apologies! In typical fashion I was too eager to speak before doing my share of listening, or in this case thread reading.

The Burgoyne and Cayne brothers were special, as was Warren Tredea, and Wanganeen. I've just woken so can't say I remember too many more off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Congrats to Quadzilla on becoming Port Adelaide Football Club's very first Brownlow medalist (league best and fairest player) as the winner for the 2021 season. A well deserved winner as would have been any of he, Bont or Clayton Oliver :D

Special mention to young Sam Walsh from the Carlton football club for polling so high who will surely win one or two of his own before all is said and done.

• Like 2

Weightman's looking good for selection.

Liberatore could have one of his best like he did against Brisbane, his old fella came so close to premiership glory. My Dad to this day is adamant that Liberatore Senior kicked a goal that was given a behind that would've meant the Bulldogs beat the Crows in 1997.

Honestly, Max Gawn is the only Melbourne player I know, and I didn't know I knew him before I just googled him. Had no idea he would be that kind of influence on the game. Good on him.

I think the last time I paid Melbourne any mind was when Jeff Farmer and Shane Woewoedin were playing.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 10:48, Eidolon said:

Seeing as Bont, Gawn and Oliver have been mentioned now I'll just casually mention Petracca so we have all the bookies favorites covered 😅 Macrae and Libba not without a chance either 

Good thing you casually mentioned Petracca. 

An exciting match for 75% of it but ultimate a let down. Dees definitely proved themselves to be a class above the rest of the competition. Think this could be the start of 4-5 years of sustained success but things can change pretty quickly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As a new convert to this sport, still learning all the rules, but fascinated by it's ethos, I'd like to give this the old bumperoonie. Any takers?

I have family in Brisbane, so when looking around for a team to get behind I was delighted to see that Brisbane not only play in colours similar to Villa, but the are also the Lions. Sounds like fate to me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 24/05/2023 at 18:22, HKP90 said:

As a new convert to this sport, still learning all the rules, but fascinated by it's ethos, I'd like to give this the old bumperoonie. Any takers?

I have family in Brisbane, so when looking around for a team to get behind I was delighted to see that Brisbane not only play in colours similar to Villa, but the are also the Lions. Sounds like fate to me.

Sounds like it was meant to be. Not a bad club either, just quietly. Much better than their neighbours...but as a Villa fan you should be use to that ;)

• Like 1

Â