Australian Rules Football

Eidolon

8 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Port Adelaide 86 - 43 Geelong, first Qualifying Final. Great performance by The Power 😁

Far too good last night. We were very disappointing. Going to have to do it the hard way but I don’t think we’re good enough.

8 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Is their nickname the Devils, and play in red? That kind of puts me off to be honest, cus it make me think of Man United. 🤮

Yeah, they’re the Demons hences ‘Dees’.

They have red in their uniform but it’s mostly a navy blue.

image.jpeg.39a82099c79cdb0d0ae7bccb185c94de.jpeg

Could be their year for the first time since 1964!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornso said:

Yeah, they’re the Demons hences ‘Dees’.

They have red in their uniform but it’s mostly a navy blue.

image.jpeg.39a82099c79cdb0d0ae7bccb185c94de.jpeg

Could be their year for the first time since 1964!

Nah, I reckon the 'Roos will take it this year.

• Haha 1

ITV need to bring back World of Sport on a Saturday afternoon. It's what Saturday afternoons were for, between the live horse racing (the reason for the shows existence in all honesty) you used to get all the nutty sports that cost 50p to buy the rights to. Aussie Rules, those Irish field sports that seemed to have no discernable rules but you had to be hard as nails to play, banger racing, Speedway, all that stuff. Thats when I used to watch Aussie Rules

Oh yes and proper wrestling, with Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy et al (which was obviously shite)

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Australia is separated into the southern states which follow Aussie Rules and the north eastern states that follow rugby.

You’d be hard pressed to find someone from Melbourne who could explain the rules of Rugby to you and also have a tough time finding someone in Sydney who could explain Aussie Rules.

In the Rugby states it’s split between the working class areas who follow Rugby League and the posh suburbs that follow Rugby Union. Union is actually a pretty niche sport in Australia, just the posh suburbs from two states who follow it. It’s surprising the Wallabies have ever won anything really.

AFL is making some fair inroads in the northern states as well. It will never oust league as the number one up there but with Brisbane, Sydney, The Gold Coast and GWS all having teams it probably has a bit more of a foothold that NRL does in the south excluding the pretty strong presence of the Melbourne rugby team (The Storm)

In Adelaide and Perth there is literally 0 NRL presence except for the occasional State of Origin (a concept the AFL really should bring back) match being hosted hosted here since we redeveloped the Oval

Surprising there aren't more QLD fans honestly, Brisbane were the dominant team of the early 00's and have looked pretty damn good for a few years now (my tip for the flag this year)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Australia is separated into the southern states which follow Aussie Rules and the north eastern states that follow rugby.

You’d be hard pressed to find someone from Melbourne who could explain the rules of Rugby to you and also have a tough time finding someone in Sydney who could explain Aussie Rules.

In the Rugby states it’s split between the working class areas who follow Rugby League and the posh suburbs that follow Rugby Union. Union is actually a pretty niche sport in Australia, just the posh suburbs from two states who follow it. It’s surprising the Wallabies have ever won anything really.

Australia is quite diluted in its favour for football codes, you have rugby union and league, AFL, and soccer fighting over pieces of a very small pie. ( Because of the numerous codes considered football, we have no choice but to refer to football as soccer in this context). * Interesting fact- The sport in Australia with most members? Netball.

Being from north QLD, I grew up playing League, and later playing Union for the Army. I enjoyed playing both games, but I don't follow either. As for Aussie Rules, I played the odd recreational game in the Army. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I didn't mind it. It was OK. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Go Brisbane Lions!

They look reeeeeally good this year, I'm hoping they crash out spectacularly before Port have to play them as they seem be our bogey team at the moment 

West Coast Eagles are my team. I remember that it’s the custom to play the winning team’s anthem at the end of the game, even if it was the away team that won. 

Imagine that at footy grounds here !

• Like 1

I dont know if anyone on this thread knows it but the grand final looks like its going to be played here in Perth because we dont have Covid19.I dont follow the game but under the circumstances,its a shame the WC Eagles or the Dockers are not in the final. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some great footy over the weekend, the Dogs and Lions game was an absolute classic. Having said that I'm pretty confident that The Dogs are going to be pretty sore pulling up after a contest like that and might flag in the last quarter if things are tight. Port vs Dees Grand Final is my tip, still not sure it will be in Perth though honestly, I feel like McGowan isnt going to be fussy about slamming shut the border if any cases pop up, could be some late twists in the tail.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Some great footy over the weekend, the Dogs and Lions game was an absolute classic. Having said that I'm pretty confident that The Dogs are going to be pretty sore pulling up after a contest like that and might flag in the last quarter if things are tight. Port vs Dees Grand Final is my tip, still not sure it will be in Perth though honestly, I feel like McGowan isnt going to be fussy about slamming shut the border if any cases pop up, could be some late twists in the tail.

I think it will be Port v Melbourne also. Fear the Dees will do us by 5+ goals.

The GF is definately in Perth,the city are already doing all sorts of GF stuff.

35 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The GF is definately in Perth,the city are already doing all sorts of GF stuff

I keep getting notifications for stuff from the Optus stadium app. It’s a fantastic ground to go toF7269E28-EF72-4C09-A203-024082424F94.png

@Hornso I'm so very very sorry 😅 this has to be painful but hey now you have a taste of what 07 felt like 😉

Feared they were on another level but I was disappointed to turn them into the Harlem Globetrotters of football.

Good luck tonight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

Feared they were on another level but I was disappointed to turn them into the Harlem Globetrotters of football.

Good luck tonight.

I'm a bit nervous honestly, I think our best beats the Doggies best but I trust Ken Hinkley about as far as I could throw him in games like this.

Â