The Career of Gareth Barry (1998-2008) RIP

JohnCresswell

Is Gareth barry so important that he is allowed to trample over Aston Villa FC and its aspirations for Champions League football? I do hope not.

I agree he isn't too important to get in the way of our aspirations, that's why I think if he stayed he would be played; not doing as well as we can do just to spite Gareth Barry wouldn't be sensible.

I would think it's all irrelevant anyway.

I SAY THANK YOU GARETH FOR A WONDERFUL 11 YEARS AT THE HOME OF SILKY FOOTBALL, AND FOR THE TWO YEARS IN THAT ELEVEN THAT YOU PRODUCED ANYTHING OF NOTE. LET ME REMIND YOU GARETH ASTON VILLA MADE YOU INTO THE PERSON YOU ARE NOW, A FEW CHOICE WORDS BY A CERTAIN MR GERARD, AND THE ENGLAND SETUP HAS TURNED YOUR HEAD, BUT LETS REMIND YOU , THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER OVER THE FENCE, LETS LOOK AT THE FACTS YES CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, A BIT PART I MAY ADD, WARMING LIVERPOOL BENCH. YOU ARE GIVING A LOT UP BUT I WISH YOU WELL. AND YOU MAY TAKE LOOK AT VILLA FROM AFAR OCCASIONALLY AS WE GO BODELY FORWARD ONTO BIGGER AND BETTER DREAMS, UTV

please don't type in capital letters. Ta. Blandy

I think he'll play if he stays. If he gets his head down and does well in training he will get picked for the side imo, and if he comes in and does well for us the majority of the fans will forgive him. Not all of course. Memory is (usually) short in football.

However, this all depends a bit on who we buy this summer and what our options for CM will look like come August. If MON tries out a CM duo/trio without Barry in it and these boys do well, then Barry's way into the side may prove more difficult than we'd have thought last season.

through all the bitterness and disappointment, i still have to say that imo, barry is a far superior player the xabi alonso, who has been a shadow of himself for over 2 years now.

and i also think he'll be a regular in the first 11. hes a top player, and he will improve the dippers

In the light of some of the bile being directed at Barry in certain quarters, a cautionary tale.

Over 30 years ago I was living in London and went to a midweek match between Millwall and Sheffield United. United's captain was Eddie Colquhoun. Their star player was Tony Currie, an England international. Another notable player was their right winger Alan Woodward.

Woodward was at that time on the transfer list at his own request. This was obviously the reason why Colquhoun and one or two of his lackeys kept up a stream of invective against their teammate Woodward, "Come on Woodward, run you bastard" etc. From the first minute too. Whereas when dear Tony Currie fluffed an easy chance it was all "bad luck Tony!"

It takes something to produce comments of sympathy about visiting players from Millwall fans such as "Dis is emBArrassing innit" and "Dey don't like him do dey, poor **n*."

Then with the score still at 0-0 Sheffield United got a free kick out on the right and Colquhoun bellowed "Do something for once Woodward will you?" Woodward put the ball down, wheeled round, lazily swung a boot at it and produced the perfect cross, which Currie nodded in for the only goal of the match.

When they'd all finished congratulating Currie, Colquhoun (quickly followed by the captain's pets) clapped his hands and shouted, "Great ball Woody." Woodward just had a quiet spit and carried on running back to his own half for the restart.

Tony Currie (at United 1968-76), Alan Woodward (at United 1964-78 ). Yes, not long after that Currie moved to Leeds, who were then a far bigger club than Sheffield United. Woodward meanwhile came off the transfer list and never did leave Sheffield until he was finally shipped off to US football.

Possibly by the time you read this Gareth Barry will have signed for Liverpool. If not will he really have lost your respect for ever and ever... or failing that for ever such a long time? No doubt all those years ago Sheffield United fans gave Woodward far more stick than his captain did. No doubt when Currie finally left for Leeds they were all a little upset, but got behind Woodward (long since forgiven) and the rest of the lads. Time can be a great healer.

And no doubt Barry will have gone and the author of the original article, one who normally preaches patience and tranquility, will have been justified by entitling it "The Career of Gareth Barry (1998-2008) RIP".

I have no bile for gareth barry, he doesnt matter to me anymore now that Villa have made their position clear on him and Liverpool's outrageous behaviour. I am completely ambivalent towards him, I dont hate him, I dont especially blame him, I just think he is burying his career, and I really dont understand why. but thats his look out, Villa are bigger than him, and we'll be perfectly fine without him, whereas Liverpool are buying a player they cant afford for reasons that are dodgy at best, that doesnt really improve their team overly much.

So to be honest, the current situaion with barry doesnt make me angry any more, I am in fact very content with the way it is working out, I just wont quite go so far as to wish him well, becasue of the disrespect he has shown towards my football club, and by extension me, and you and becasue he is playing for a team that next season will be fighting tooth and nail to keep Villa off

• 3 weeks later...

Ive posted this elsewhere

Weve had the best of Barry.

What would we normally do for a player who had been a loyal servant for 10 years as GB has been???

GIVE HIM A TESTIMONIAL!

Get a few thousand of us out on a cold November foggy night at VP to give GB a few thousand bob.

To try to screw 18 million out of another club is a total and utter lack of respect for an excellent servant for the Villa.

Its nothing more than sour grapes.

How does it go?

Protest then Despair then Reluctant Acceptance.

In a funny way Liverpool should pull out of this ridiculous hostage taking exercise then the Board and MON can look G.B. in the eye.

Not!

Ive posted this elsewhere

Weve had the best of Barry.

What would we normally do for a player who had been a loyal servant for 10 years as GB has been???

GIVE HIM A TESTIMONIAL!

Get a few thousand of us out on a cold November foggy night at VP to give GB a few thousand bob.

To try to screw 18 million out of another club is a total and utter lack of respect for an excellent servant for the Villa.

Its nothing more than sour grapes.

How does it go?

Protest then Despair then Reluctant Acceptance.

In a funny way Liverpool should pull out of this ridiculous hostage taking exercise then the Board and MON can look G.B. in the eye.

Not!

I can make head nor tail of this post.

you think many would turn up at VP for GB's testimonial?

GB's done a job for us for 10 years. He's under contract for another 2. He's done us no favours. "Loyalty" doesn't come into it. He really had no better offers during those 10 years, so he remained with us.

Liverpool pay what MON judges GB to be worth, or he stays, as simple as that. Randy is backing MON, so we don't need to sell, and GB really is stuck now between a rock and a hard place.

Time for GB to waive his "loyalty" bonus, methinks.

Fact is...Barry is under contract with Villa for 2 more years and hasn't formally requested a transfer (as I understand). So what's he b*tching about? Put up or shut up Barry, if you want to leave then put in the request.

I think Villa will do fine without him. Where MON finds a genuine replacement from I don't know but they are out there. Barry was good but not great, I think a more creative central midfielder could be an improvement for Villa...

Â