Austin MacPhee

Strog

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I wonder if this guy is just REALLY good, or is our improvement just a result of us not putting enough attention on set pieces preciously?

That's not me trying to take anything away from MacPhee, just genuinely curious

Little from column A, little from column B. 

I think it may have been something on the list to address, but which was given a lower priority in order to get the fundamentals of the team right. Now we have addressed it, it will (and has) won us tight games. 

Also, remember that people like Danny Murphy will permeate all organisations. Sometimes you have to fight to modernise.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Someone Saturday was saying the Bailey goal vs Everton (Throw in - Ings ball) was down to Macphee as well. They have an NFL style "play book" from certain situations tailored against the opposition, which I guess includes throw ins from the half way line as well! 

Dean has highlighted before (recently I think too) at his frustration quite specifically that Football players struggle with 5-6 set piece routines when NFL teams can remember 70-90 plays and formations at any given time (and then relearning loads more if they move!)

Wouldn't at all surprise me to see that line virtually being ripped from MacPhee and him implementing 3-4 routines from each position as you say. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Dean has highlighted before (recently I think too) at his frustration quite specifically that Football players struggle with 5-6 set piece routines when NFL teams can remember 70-90 plays and formations at any given time (and then relearning loads more if they move!)

Wouldn't at all surprise me to see that line virtually being ripped from MacPhee and him implementing 3-4 routines from each position as you say. 

Yeah and it wouldn’t need to be nearly that many routines. Say 4 for each location on the pitch, and about 6 locations covering the opponent’s half. With some discretion to players to mix it up.

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Someone Saturday was saying the Bailey goal vs Everton (Throw in - Ings ball) was down to Macphee as well. They have an NFL style "play book" from certain situations tailored against the opposition, which I guess includes throw ins from the half way line as well! 

This is very exciting. And would also explain Ings ultra quick decision to turn and look for Bailey.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I wonder if this guy is just REALLY good, or is our improvement just a result of us not putting enough attention on set pieces preciously?

I think there's a huge improvement in how we're approaching set pieces. They definitely feel more organised to me now, especially attacking corners. But, maybe it's just some form of bias, I dunno. 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2021 at 18:52, Xela said:

An absolute meat trumpet of the highest grade.

The problem is.....When you are biased against us as he is, it trumps any knowledgable content in his brain.

His desire to "gas light " us at every opportunity ,is quite pathetic really.

He must have a bit of Aston Villa gravel from the side of the pitch stuck in his shoe.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think there's a huge improvement in how we're approaching set pieces. They definitely feel more organised to me now, especially attacking corners. But, maybe it's just some form of bias, I dunno. 

Oh the improvement is definitely there, it's extremely noticeable.

It's just whether it's because MacPhee is a brilliant coach, or is it just because we've had very little focus on it in the past?

Doesn't mean anything, just thinking out loud

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just whether it's because MacPhee is a brilliant coach, or is it just because we've had very little focus on it in the past?

Ah I see what you mean. I misunderstood your original point.
But yeah it's an interesting one, you'd think with the likes of Terry as backroom staff previously we wouldn't have been neglecting set-piece training. So I dunno, I'm gonna say this guy is just good!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we pretty much had no focus on it before, just one of those many things we were miles behind the well ran clubs at.

Also think he's a very good coach of course but I think just having him here made a huge difference.

• Like 2

I suppose a table of set piece goals scored for all teams in the league would be an indicator.

Or, if such a thing exists, an xG comparison for set pieces for each team - working on the idea that a set piece “worked” despite a shot being missed.

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I suppose a table of set piece goals scored for all teams in the league would be an indicator.

Or, if such a thing exists, an xG comparison for set pieces for each team - working on the idea that a set piece “worked” despite a shot being missed.

xG for set pieces will almost certainly be tracked. But someone clarifying whether it "worked" or not without simply resulting in a goal would probably be a stretch

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

I think we pretty much had no focus on it before, just one of those many things we were miles behind the well ran clubs at.

Also think he's a very good coach of course but I think just having him here made a huge difference.

Yep, even throw ins, for me a tell tale sign of lack of our organisation as half the time we wasted it back to opposition have improved 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 02:40, Rolta said:

Seems like Hause ran away from goal looking for a shorter ball. I feel it might have been a plan, and more complicated than it seems. 

In his interview, Hause said, it was actually Mings, who was supposed to be where he was, but they switched it last minute, and Mings told him, to take his role.

Good decision!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In his interview, Hause said, it was actually Mings, who was supposed to be where he was, but they switched it last minute, and Mings told him, to take his role.

Good decision!

Indeed. I posted about that either in here or in the Hause thread. I just hope MacPhee has realised how much of a beast Hause is in the air. I'm sure he has.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Indeed. I posted about that either in here or in the Hause thread. I just hope MacPhee has realised how much of a beast Hause is in the air. I'm sure he has.

I wonder though, if Hause didn't necessarily have a main role in the set pieces as he isn't a guaranteed starter where as Mings is?  I.e Hause is doing what role Axel would usually fulfil who isn't as good in the air as Hause.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I wonder though, if Hause didn't necessarily have a main role in the set pieces as he isn't a guaranteed starter where as Mings is?  I.e Hause is doing what role Axel would usually fulfil who isn't as good in the air as Hause.

I did wonder that, but surely if you have someone who's a beast in the air you should be able to adapt them when he's in the team.

Maybe MacPhee had just heard about Hause's usual 50p head ;)

• Like 1

xG for set pieces will almost certainly be tracked. But someone clarifying whether it "worked" or not without simply resulting in a goal would probably be a stretch

I can imagine xG for set pieces would be very tricky to calculate, because unlike open play xG, which solely boils down to the position and type of shot, any worthwhile metric for set plays would need to consider several co-ordinated actions.  

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I can imagine xG for set pieces would be very tricky to calculate, because unlike open play xG, which solely boils down to the position and type of shot, any worthwhile metric for set plays would need to consider several co-ordinated actions.  

It would just be xG directly resulting from a set piece. If you take a corner and someone gets a header on goal then it's the xG of that shot.

The xG is tracked anyway, it would just require someone to allocate it to whether it came from a set piece or not

Â