Austin MacPhee

Strog

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Our set pieces are so much better since this guy joined. Kinda makes me wonder why we haven't had a set piece coach in the past. 

Do other teams have them? Its a genuine question, but if we went ahead of the curve then its genius from somebody 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Do other teams have them? Its a genuine question, but if we went ahead of the curve then its genius from somebody 

They mentioned yesterday that Brentford had McPhee there when Deano was there and I assume Dean brought him over to us then. Best signing we've made since Fernando Nelson. 

13 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Don't know if the players are afraid of him, but Cash messed up a throw in and he looked in his direction and seemed to apologise. 

I could see/hear him going nuts for a lot of the game. Quite like him to be fair

54 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Don't know if the players are afraid of him, but Cash messed up a throw in and he looked in his direction and seemed to apologise. 

Love it.

I like how its on their mind to execute every set piece correctly. They are such mindless exercises for players a lot of the time. By their very nature they encourage you to switch off as you are getting a rest from the flow of the game and can then end up going through the motions. The one I heard from McPhee last night was when defending a freekick "Jaden, Jaden, Jaden, Jaaaaaden...get to the f**king ball"

Its such a massive edge in its own right but the benefit spills over to open play.  You're not playing well or with much confidence in a game and the opposition has taken control of it... you win an innocuous freekick create a dangerous chance from a set piece routine and it can lift the team, the fans and puts some uncertainty in opposition and throw them on the backfoot. That momentum can shift to open play and i think that's what's been happening in a few of our games this season.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Love it.

I like how its on their mind to execute every set piece correctly. They are such mindless exercises for players a lot of the time. By their very nature they encourage you to switch off as you are getting a rest from the flow of the game and can then end up going through the motions. The one I heard from McPhee last night was when defending a freekick "Jaden, Jaden, Jaden, Jaaaaaden...get to the f**king ball"

Its such a massive edge in its own right but the benefit spills over to open play.  You're not playing well or with much confidence in a game and the opposition has taken control of it... you win an innocuous freekick create a dangerous chance from a set piece routine and it can lift the team, the fans and puts some uncertainty in opposition and throw them on the backfoot. That momentum can shift to open play and i think that's what's been happening in a few of our games this season.

yeah i heard that, i was like.....lol he's screaming and swearing his head off.

Deano is Mr Quiet.....then McPhee is Mr WTF F*** get to the F*** ball WTF you F***** F***.

funny.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

hahaha maybe they're not exactly afraid of him, but he does seem to have a bit of pashun don't he? Seems like a guy that demands focus and execution which will keep our players sharp in these situations. can dig.

The one when Buendia actually played a dangerous ball but No1 moved towards it - the way he turned to the bench and you can clearly see him thinking 'these bastools have sold me up shit creek there'. It was almost as though Austin was plotting something against the ones that didn't move lol.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, villanmac said:

Love it.

I heard that one loud and clear. No mistaking that accent. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Deano is Mr Quiet.....then McPhee is Mr WTF F*** get to the F*** ball WTF you F***** F***.

funny.

You have to have good cop, bad cop.

its not good all the coaches being the same.

Someone has to get in their ribs and another one to put their arm around them....its works.

They say Shankly was more like Dean with the players,Shanks was just sharp witted.....and Paisley ( when he was No 2 to him) was the one they feared.

It does seem to me though the coaching does seem better in general.

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

funny.

He looks like Peter Capaldi aka Malcolm from The Thick of It. Explains the expletives. 

Â