Nice Vs Marseille

Wurzel

A punch to the face is not a proportional response to trespass. To be fair, we've only got 6 seconds of footage, but from what we do see, the fan isn't even approaching anyone. Yes, he's gone onto the pitch, but he isn't approaching any of the players, in fact he's backing away as the first player approaches him and as he gets punched.

If he was heading towards the player, even if he didn't swing the first punch I'd be a lot more accepting of it but that guy has come running at least 15-20 yards to punch someone in the face when he was under no threat whatsoever, it's not ok at all.

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's on the pitch and is more than likely an ultra and while maybe moving backwards at that point, he's clearly an aggressive person so who knows what he's liable to do. 

I've got no issue with someone defending themselves against aggressive people. The players or staff shouldn't have to wait to be attacked first. 

I absolutely agree about the danger of being sucker punched. I hate fighting. I don't get why anyone would get into a street fight, I myself would walk away from nearly all situations like that and never get involved because of the consequences. 

But at the same time I haven't got an issue with people in a scary situation defending themselves. 

No one knows what that man is capable of. What if he'd suddenly ran forward and sucker punched an innocent player or steward? By the very act of entering the pitch he's the aggressor.

Oh, me either.  He's not exactly defending himself (or anyone else) though, is he?  He's running over, throwing a punch, and then running off again.  It's dangerous and cowardly and, for me, much worse than a fan being on the pitch.

I won't clog up anymore of the thread on this though :D 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Oh, me either.  He's not exactly defending himself (or anyone else) though, is he?  He's running over, throwing a punch, and then running off again.  It's dangerous and cowardly and, for me, much worse than a fan being on the pitch.

I won't clog up anymore of the thread on this though :D 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering the guy and saying fair play. And I hate seeing anyone get punched. It's horrible. I just think in a chaotic situation when the other person displays aggression first, I don't have an issue with someone doing that. 

I think he is defending people. There's a player very close to him. Like I said, who knows what that guy is capable of or what his intentions are. 

Ultimately the whole situation was horrible. I get Payet's frustrations and I think the fans behaviour was disgusting. The team should be punished for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MachoFantastico said:

Disgusting scenes. Payet was an idiot for what he did but at the same time the fans constantly throwing bottles etc on the pitch/at players is simply unacceptable and it was only a matter of time before a player would grow frustrated. The most bizarre thing is, the home fans cost their own team a win here. Stupidity.

I hope the league take action against Nice on this one. 

They got the win didn't they because Marseille refused to come out when it restarted a couple hours later?

Should be a large points deduction and a stadium ban for Nice, ban for Payet and very long ban/termination for the sucker-puncher.

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

They got the win didn't they because Marseille refused to come out when it restarted a couple hours later?

Think the rule of law is the team that refuses to finish the game forfeits, but in a situation where the referee cannot assure the player's safety (and reportedly said as much) would assume that would go to appeal and the match be replayed.

Football fans are such imbeciles.

They throw stuff at players all night, then when they get a bit back they don't like it.

Peanut brains.

• Like 1

Â