Pre Match Thread

maqroll

if McGinn isn't playing that's a couple of our key players out or not fully fit. not exactly an ideal start to the season but I think that we have enough to make a game out of this and nick it. 2-1 Villa with goals from Ings and Ramsey (go on Jacob!).

• Like 1

This is going to be tougher than the previous home game, I think Brentford will come to VP with the intention of imposing their game and style on us. Toney up front worries me as that is the sort of physical striker we have had difficulty in combatting before, particularly from set pieces or the striker winning a knock down for someone else to finish. I'm sure we've been doing a lot of set pieces in training to counter exactly those common scenarios, so fingers crossed we are able to keep them under control.

If we can stop them from set pieces and counter attacks, then we have players of our own who are more than capable of sticking the ball away. Would be fantastic to get a win prior to the international break and Chelsea, but could go either way. Hoping for a cracking game of football

It’s partly a reflection of where we are in terms of injuries and new signings but I am genuinely concerned about this one. We should be entering a home fixture with Brentford full of confidence and expectation. There are mitigating circumstances as to why I don’t feel like that but I do still have concerns over our squad balance, even when the squad is fully fit. Hopefully they prove me wrong but at the moment I can’t see us winning this one.

On 23/08/2021 at 10:15, Brentfordnylons said:

Early days to be confident or negative regarding predicting the result.I’ve been to  2 friendlies and the 2 league games.Could argue it was a good time to play Arsenal and Palace and deserved both results.Defensively we look pretty solid with the inclusion of the excellent Ajer although think Pontus will struggle in this league Midfield of Janelt Norguaard and Onyeka has been impressive although not as creative without the injured Jensen it’s full of energy and agression that’s needed in this league.Canos and Henry are doing ok as wing backs up front Toney has yet to score and although a handful will take a while to adjust to this level with Mbeumo alongside who is now back to his best.Looking forward to going back to the superb Villa park after having to endure the grim Selhurst Park last Saturday.We won’t be a push over obviously would take a draw now but hope we make a game of it looks like Oli will miss this one which is a plus for us although would have liked to have seen him out there.Whatever the score I will have a great long day out in Brum 👍

funny you say that....some of our lot are to be convinced.

Edited by TRO

Let’s see what Deano says in the presser tomorrow, I wouldn’t worry too much about Twatter rumours or who’s not seen in a training video. Will be tough so we need to be on top of our game whoever plays..

Edited by Strog
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 18:39, chappy said:

Ivan Toney (their replacement for Watkins is highly rated).

Aston Tavern is an option, pre pandemic was £3 to get in but you got curry and rice for free in one of the side rooms. There’s the Aston Social which you might have to be a member of, I’ve never tried to go in there but always looks full. Or bit of a walk from the station (20 mins) - Barton’s Arms is great too; traditional pub with a good Thai menu as well, went yday and it wasn’t too busy. It’s about another 15/20 min walk back to the ground after though.

There's an oxymoron if ever I've seen one????🤔😉

• Like 1