Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Hopefully we see Bailey and Ollie back but won't be surprised if they aren't. 

I guess you put out the same 11 as yesterday.

Should be a good game. Buendia needs to hit another gear. 

Would love to see Ramsey bag a goal.

• Like 1

Have Brentford got anybody dangerous or are they relegation fodder?

I'm going (yay). Taking the train for the first time ever. Where's good to drink from Aston station to the ground?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Have Brentford got anybody dangerous or are they relegation fodder?

I'm going (yay). Taking the train for the first time ever. Where's good to drink from Aston station to the ground?

Ivan Toney (their replacement for Watkins is highly rated).

Aston Tavern is an option, pre pandemic was £3 to get in but you got curry and rice for free in one of the side rooms. There’s the Aston Social which you might have to be a member of, I’ve never tried to go in there but always looks full. Or bit of a walk from the station (20 mins) - Barton’s Arms is great too; traditional pub with a good Thai menu as well, went yday and it wasn’t too busy. It’s about another 15/20 min walk back to the ground after though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Ivan Toney (their replacement for Watkins is highly rated).

Aston Tavern is an option, pre pandemic was £3 to get in but you got curry and rice for free in one of the side rooms. There’s the Aston Social which you might have to be a member of, I’ve never tried to go in there but always looks full. Or bit of a walk from the station (20 mins) - Barton’s Arms is great too; traditional pub with a good Thai menu as well, went yday and it wasn’t too busy. It’s about another 15/20 min walk back to the ground after though.

You don't have to be a member to get in the Social, you just pay a couple of quid on the door to get in (unless it's full), and for me it's the best Villa pub for atmosphere etc, I suppose fans of other teams would call it Villa's 'main pub'.

• Like 2

If Watkins and Bailey are both fit I'm not totally sure how we'll line up. Watkins probably not fit enough but will Bailey come straight in for AEG? Not totally convinced.

Also there will huge competition just to get in the match squad...

Scoring a hatrick on your full debut has got to get you in the match day squad? It’s going to be difficult to pick the first eleven of him and Bailey are fit. Bailey and Watkins probably arent fit enough for a full match.

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Young

Luiz

McGinn   Ramsey

Buendia                       AEG

Ings

Subs:

Steer, Watkins, Bailey, Carney, JPB, Hause, Targett, Nakamba, Hourihane

Even that leaves out Guilbert, Taunzebe and Wesley (probably off). Don’t see how Archer will make the bench unless Watkins is still injured. Then we still have Davis, Sanson and Traore who are definitely out.

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Young

Luiz

McGinn   Ramsey

Buendia                       JPB

Archer (C)

Subs:

Steer, Ings, Bailey, Carney, JPB, Hause, Targett, Nakamba, Hourihane

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Think we’ll start the same team that started against Newcastle. However, I’m hoping we see an improved subs bench, with the likes of Watkins, Bailey etc included.

Another tuff one to call this. They’ve started the season well and they’ll keep good possession of the ball. My main worry is Mings getting into a tussle and any mind games with Toney. He’ll put himself about no doubt and try and unsettle Mings, which can create a mistake.

However, if we stay focused and play to our current strengths (433 line up), I reckon we’ll win by the odd goal. As i say, think we’ll start the game like this:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Young

Luiz

McGinn   Ramsey

Buendia                       AEG

Ings

Same team as the one that started against Newcastle.

Guilbert played well last night but he won't displace Cash, Targett still a little off it so Young gets the nod there.

The midfield 3 last week all played well so no changes there, more of the same hopefully from JJ.

I feel the two most at threat were Buendia and AEG but regardless of whether Bailey/Watkins are declared fit I think both should (& will) start - Another weeks training for Emi and a confident performance by Anwar last night should bode well for both.

Loving our squad now, there's going to be some serious competition when everyone's fit, the way it should be.

Think we might nick it, 2-1 Ings, Buendia.

Maybe we should put in a cheeky bid for Toney?

No intention to buy him, but just to mess with their heads and unsettle them?

• Like 1

Can't see it being anything other than the same starting XI that faced Newcastle. Midfield needs to definitely stay the same as there was far more balance last Saturday than against Watford. Just feel so beaten down by our constant injuries to key players so not expecting to see Watkins or Bailey at all. Expecting Smith to be fairly aloof in the press conference about both but would be surprised if either made an appearance.

Extremely tough game against a well drilled very confident team who will want to show their old manager what he's missing. Need performances and influence from Buendia and as lively as Anwar looked last night, he's up against top level opposition now so needs to be much more present and involved.

• Like 1

We'll have to play a lot better as a team than we did against Newcastle to beat this lot. We've had a more time to train I spose but I'd prefer to go into this with Traore, Bailey and Watkins. Point wouldn't be the end of the world and would mean then we can use the international break to get our shit together properly and some players back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

So if McGinn is out with covid, then it’s probably Nakamba or Hourihane to come in.

I think I would put Carney Chuck in, as I think he’s ready, but I do trust the coaches if we don’t see him start. 

• Like 1