Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/21 at 18:00

Ramsey MOTM, McGinn and Mings a close second. Mings was a colossus in the second half.

Good to get our first win with all the injuries, Newcastle were awful but I thought we managed the game well after the early struggle. Also credit to Ashley Young who has earnt his place at LB atm.

Hopefully for Brentford we will have a few players back and things will looks slightly more cohesive going forward as we only seemed to trouble mainly from set pieces which will be a concern.

Great result and solid performance after 30 mins considering the personnel we are missing. 

The two most interesting things for me were the Ramsey performance and Axel Tuanzebe coming on as a CDM ahead of Nakamba.

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

Reasonably straightforward win. I'm a little worried about Martinez, not quite himself in the first two games.

Glad of the 3 points and on to Brentford. Ramsey MOTM for me, great energy and a real calm presence on the ball. 

I know what you mean re: Martinez, he went from zero to hero last season, so probably a little overwhelmed by the success he he's had and undoubtedly deserves, but it may have gone to his head a bit. No doubt he will refocus.

Good performance obviously some starters to come back and then we'll improve for the bigger tests. We outplayed Watford from minute 45 and we outplayed Newcastle for the majority of the game.

Ashley Young impressive at LB. Going to be a very important player for us.

Motm Ramsey. Ran the game - McGinn, Luiz , Ashley Young and the Lion Mings very close second.

Bit of a strange performance in my opinion, delighted to win obviously but I don’t think we played particularly well.

Ramsey and McGinn were excellent, Cash was much improved from last week but we were pretty lucky to escape with a clean sheet. 

It’s only two games in and it takes time for players to bed in sometimes but Buendia does not look like a £40M player (yet).

• Like 2

Poor start but after that we were in control. Some correct but "lucky" calls and we fully deserved the win.

Lots of work to be done but this was a step in the right direction.

Martinez - not himself but he hasn’t become a bad keeper overnight

Young - was fantastic

Mings - captains performance - was awesome

Konsa - seemed quiet but that’s not a bad thing from a CB

Cash - awesome throw in and made good runs, otherwise fairly low-key but solid performance

Luiz - thought he was brilliant in his return game

McGinn - was back to his fantastic bustling self

El Ghazi - limited performance but great penalty

Ramsey - MOTM for me

Buendia - showing us all how good he will be after a less than inspiring first game

Ings - worth every penny

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

I think the John McGinn that we know and love is back, outstanding performance and my MOTM for the 2nd game running. Credit to Ramsey as well, looked comfortable in the middle and confident on the ball as the game went on.

That’s what happens when you play him in his position, great performance 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Jacob Ramsey, take a bow son. 

100% this. So so impressed with his performance. I really thought he needed a loan but one of the best on the pitch today. 

McGinn brilliant, Dougie too. Ings goal.. world class finish. El Ghazi great pen as always. When Buendia finds his feet it’ll give us another dimension. 

All in all, happy days.

Â