Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/21 at 18:00

Great result. Good to be back at VP! 

Looked at bit shaky at first but we settled into it.

Still not convinced by Buendia but it’s early days. 

Who’s the Bjarnasson wannabe on the coaching staff. Very animated today on the touchline.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Still confused why Emi’s yellow stands given Wilson was offside. 

You can be booked (or sent off) regardless whether the ball is in play or not, so it doesn't matter that the play was offside. Emi committed a cautionable offense.

However, you can't be sent off specifically for DOGSO if the play was offside because it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Because the offside occurred before the yellow card offense, the play still restarts with a free kick for the earlier offense, i.e. Villa got the free kick.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

You can be booked (or sent off) regardless whether the ball is in play or not, so it doesn't matter that the play was offside. Emi committed a cautionable offense.

However, you can't be sent off specifically for DOGSO if the play was offside because it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Because the offside occurred before the yellow card offense, the play still restarts with a free kick for the earlier offense, i.e. Villa got the free kick.

I’m glad someone understands. Get bored of people constantly slagging off refs when they barely know the laws of the game. 

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

Thank you! That makes much more sense. Appreciated. 

My thoughts ...

overall an OKish match ... surprisingly niggly

Martinez  ....  first of many clean sheets, I hope. Vould have done without the calamity on the edge of the eighteen yard box though.
Cash ... a good game overall
Konsa ... again a good game overall. an Occasional slip, but nothing serious. I find my eye is not drawn to him.
Mings ... Excellent ... in ddefence and supplementing the attack
Young ... A bit in your face for my taste, but can't doubt the passion ... generally happy
McGinn ...  I thought he had an exceptional  game. Involved in the midfield action ... My MOTM, but I understand the votes for Ramsey, Mings ... etc
Luiz ...  A solid game, not spectacular
Ramsey ... I thought he was really good today.
Beundia ... seemed a little off the pace, but does appear to be improving.
Ings ... Superb ... I liked the way he pressed the defence (as did the forward line)
EL Ghazi ... I would like to have my  player from last December back.
Bidace ... I liked the little bit of him I saw.
Taunzebe ... not enough.
Wesley ... I might have voted for him but the powers that be did not think it was worth adding him to the list. ;) 

Smith? No one complained about the substitutions being late?

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Enjoyed being back and enjoyed the game. Thought McGinn and Ramsey were good I also thought Beundia was pretty good too. My only gripes with today are the fact I had to queue for 45 mins for a drink and the fact that I still can't get 4G signal in or around the ground 

It was a bit nuts today, it took longer to get to the ground than unusual, Like you say getting a pint was difficult. it seems like there’s 20,000 more people at the game

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

Buendia is not at the level we needed or expected yet, for whatever reason.

Thought Luiz was good. Ramsey did ok in patches. Wouldn't like to have to rely on him for a full season though, he's not ready for that yet.

Newcastle are dire.

Got real doubts about him to be honest 

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Got real doubts about him to be honest 

Can't write him off after 2 games that's certain, but you can normally see something. Given the amount of hype around him, he doesn't beat a man, his movement doesn't appear special, he looks weak and slow to react. Passing is decent enough.

Meh so far. Maybe we need the other players back first? Unless Norwich just had really low standards for players to be called amazing 😂

Â