Post-match transport (best advice)

Beastmix

I need to get from VP to the city centre after the game, but considering it's a sell-out, I'm anticipating long queues for public transport (train/bus). Would walking to a residential area and trying an UBER be do-able or would the traffic congestion make it just as much of a pain?

How long does it usually take for the crowd congestion to die-down usually? Basically, I'm just wondering what locals would do if they needed to do this.

8 hours ago, Beastmix said:

I need to get from VP to the city centre after the game, but considering it's a sell-out, I'm anticipating long queues for public transport (train/bus). Would walking to a residential area and trying an UBER be do-able or would the traffic congestion make it just as much of a pain?

How long does it usually take for the crowd congestion to die-down usually? Basically, I'm just wondering what locals would do if they needed to do this.

It’s not too much of a bad walk up to the overpass near the Police Station and once you get passed Aston Uni you’re more or less in Town anyway. However, it’s due to hammer it down all day today 🙄

I usually have one or two in the Holte Suite and make my way to the train station once it’s quietened down a bit, Lichfield/Redditch train to town is fairly frequent so queues aren’t as bad after an hour of the game ending

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

You could walk all the way up Trinity Road and take a left (where the mosque and church are) and catch any of 51/33/51A all take you to city centre. Not sure how busy it would be after matchday. 

Are the buses still going past there though? What with all the works etc. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Are the buses still going past there though? What with all the works etc. 

Yeah there's a temporary stop by the restaurant (Nafees I think it's called). Or you can take a right at the church and there's a bus stop just by there too, I think this one is closer. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Yeah there's a temporary stop by the restaurant (Nafees I think it's called). Or you can take a right at the church and there's a bus stop just by there too, I think this one is closer. 

I wonder if there are any of those orange bikes around there. That could probably be the quickest least congested option especially as there's a dedicated bike lane which is brilliant.

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wonder if there are any of those orange bikes around there. That could probably be the quickest least congested option especially as there's a dedicated bike lane which is brilliant.

Those electric ones? There's usually a fair few scattered around, unsure how it works regarding range etc. I just know you'll need to link a driver's license with the account. Voi is what they're called if you want to download the app. 

Edited by ismail-villa

Nice one, guys. Might let it die down a bit. Walking was always an option, but since the weather is crap, I'll use public transport.

The area usually dies down about an hour after the game?

If you head to Witton station and queue you can normally be at New Street before 6pm, possibly closer to half 5. Presume they’ll put football specials on like they used to which don’t appear on the timetable.

• Thanks 1

I always find the best way is to head for a pint in the ground. Give it an hour then jump in a cab.

If you can't wait then leave the game on 80/85 mins and run to the station. 

• Like 1

Obviously won't be useful for you now, but if its helpful for you next time, or anyone else reading, then what i usually do is go to the witton arms for a few pints. Even if you spend an hour there, the platform at Witton station is then much quieter and you can easily get a seat and get the connecting train from new street on to your destination. I hate rushing back to new street and queing up at witton station at the end of the game and would rather watch the evening kick off and have a few beers, but even if you go for 1 or 2 and watch the first half of the evening kick off or something, everything is much more convenient 45 mins - 1 hour post match in my experience.

Â