Pre Match thread

VillaChris

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He said we were going to Watford with a game plan to go and get 3 points. I really can’t for the life of me think what that plan was. Especially seeing as Shakespeare spent a fair bit of time at Watford and knew all about Sarr, yet he had the freedom of the park.

It only really failed because Targett had an absolute stinker, the mother of all bad days at the office. I trust him to bounce back. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Spent the whole day yesterday thing it was Friday....when I got up this morning it was game day 😫

I do this every bloody week. Thursday is the last day of the week the missus and I look after the grandchildren, so Thursday night always feels like Friday night used to when we had 'proper' jobs. Friday feels like Saturday, and more often than not I mentally gear up to watch the match at 3.00pm. Today has been no exception.  😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I do this every bloody week. Thursday is the last day of the week the missus and I look after the grandchildren, so Thursday night always feels like Friday night used to when we had 'proper' jobs. Friday feels like Saturday, and more often than not I mentally gear up to watch the match at 3.00pm. Today has been no exception.  😂

Enjoy your roast tomorrow!😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Even with Watkins and Traore out and Bailey probably not starting on paper we should still have too much for them. At the very least I expect a decent performance.

I'll be really gutted if we start with El Ghazi tomorrow.  For me, he adds very little.  I would start with a front three of 

Buendia - Ings - JPB

planning for Bailey to come on after 60 for one of Buendia or JPB.

4 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't worry about the personnel that we have - I think that our squad looks strong (not so say that it couldn't be stronger with a few out and two or three more in).  I worry about Smith's ability to get the best out of it - he certainly made a really poor start with the first half against Watford and the set up for that game.

What would you have done differently barry’sboots?

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What would you have done differently barry’sboots?

I would have started with the solid three in CM that we ended up with - most Norwich fans appear to think that Buendia has never played very well as a "10" and has to come in off the RW - and I would have played Buendia - Ings - JPB as the front three.  I don't rate El Ghazi full stop BUT I think it is fairly widely accepted on here that he offers very little off the RW - I'm not sure why Smith doesn't recognise this??

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight I guess but I might also have started Ash at LB, given that Targett has had a really disrupted/limited pre-season (I am not really sure why) and Ash has looked very good in pre-season.  Although, obviously we don't have the benefit of seeing them train.

• Thanks 1

So Bailey not going to start tomorrow it seems according to Deano. So it's the dregs if the squad taking the field like El Ghazi .

I'd start JPB instead of him with Ramsey and Buendia and Ings up top

Tuff one to call this, especially after our start last week.  Wilson and ASM are the obvious threat but we have plenty for them to worry about also. Disappointing that Watkins and Traore are out and Bailey not deemed fit to start.  Going for a 2-1 nervy win.  

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Young 

Luiz     Nakamba

Buendia  McGinn    El G

Ings

Wouldn’t be my choice but it’s what I think we’ll see from Deano. 

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't believe I am actually going to Villa Park tomorrow with 40 odd thousand fellow fans. Obviously I want a positive result but I am just looking forward to getting back to the match day experience. Stay safe and enjoy the game to all.

i will be going too...is the grass still green?

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Tuff one to call this, especially after our start last week.  Wilson and ASM are the obvious threat but we have plenty for them to worry about also. Disappointing that Watkins and Traore are out and Bailey not deemed fit to start.  Going for a 2-1 nervy win.  

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Young 

Luiz     Nakamba

Buendia  McGinn    El G

Ings

Wouldn’t be my choice but it’s what I think we’ll see from Deano. 

I think this team + a packed VP + Bruce's insistence on parking the bus against Deano should mean we have too much for them.

I’m not feeling massively confident about this one. So I’m placing my faith squarely on the fact that Smith usually gets the upper hand over Bruce. A full Villa Park should also give the players a boost. I just hope the crowd give their full support for the whole game, regardless of what happens. 

• Haha 1