Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Remember when we put  Clark in midfield years ago, Crap some fans never learn, our main issue yesterday was our inability to play through the low block we got caught on the break,  more down to our lack of tempo than not having a tower block in midfield 

Its rarely one issue....The team lacked pace and intensity.....doesn't exclude the issue of centre midfield that needs addressing.

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Can't blame him for the nature of the goals either - they were extremely fortuitous. 

There is that, although Konza could have stayed on his feet to block the first shot imo, the second was unlucky and the third a worldie. It happens in games. Hopefully these things don't happen in the next game. 

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

The club has been distracted for the past two weeks, our preparation has been poor through cancelled friendlies, key players getting knocks etc..

If Smith is at fault, he has misread the dressing room on the impact on the players of Grealish moving on. He has spoken about leadership the last few days, I didn't see any of that during the game. Players getting knocked off the ball because they are distracted and being passive is the fault of the players.

Hopefully the loss has been a wake up call.

I am just hoping thats what it is.....I agree the summer has been a huge distraction.....maybe why Bailey looked ok, not affected.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Things are either black or white. They're either 100% shit or amazing. We're either getting relegated or getting Europe. There's no in between.

I think you will find folk react to a match, s if we carry on playing like that....its fair to say that was a relegation type offering.

Its how we react now and get back on track.....but I can't honestly see any prospect of Europe unless we inject some pace and power into centre midfield along with vision and tenacity.

The full backs need to up their game too, based on that display.

Looked a complete mess to me watching the game in the first half. Second half looked better, but if we don't wanna put to much blame on Smith, it no doubt looked like we have had zero pre season with the new guys, an as I said earlier in this thread, If we did, I really don't think it's been very productive.

I know it's only our first game, blah blah, but all the teams that are going to do well, won there games, an I worry for us this season I really do, we looked totally 'unprepared' yesterday.

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

There's a lot of doom and gloom on here. Funny, given the talk of Europe by many.

Looking at the situation against Watford:

• Their first home game back in the PL. This was like a cup final for them
  • Crowds back for the first time in 18 months. More importantly, our first away game with crowds back in that period.
  • Started with 4 attacking players who had not played together before - 3 of which were debutants, and at least 2 out of position (Young, AEG)
  • A slight change in refereeing, allowing more contact while keeping the game flowing

Add to that some truly underwhelming performances from regular first teamers (Targett, Cash, AEG and perhaps even Martinez) and off-field disruptions in the lead up (JT, ROK and JG exiting the building) and we have the perfect situation for our insipid first 45 minutes.

Some of that is on Dean, but a lot of it isn't.

Clearly what matters from this is what we learn ahead of our home game against Newcastle and, as a result, what changes in terms of line up and effort.

I am tired of listening to the "out fought" argument since Doncaster in the cup ,under O'Leary.

we need players who can do, what we are asking/expecting them to do.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Looked a complete mess to me watching the game in the first half. Second half looked better, but if we don't wanna put to much blame on Smith, it no doubt looked like we have had zero pre season with the new guys, an as I said earlier in this thread, If we did, I really don't think it's been very productive.

I know it's only our first game, blah blah, but all the teams that are going to do well, won there games, an I worry for us this season I really do, we looked totally 'unprepared' yesterday.

Dean Smith, is responsible for how his team plays.......There is no other way of dressing it up.

He is the only one who can prepare them, motivate them, select them and change them(during a game) its his watch.

sure circumstances will be considered, but its his train set.

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Absolutely! The owners made it clear where they want to take us. Numerous players have stated it in recent interviews too. 

That midfield needs some steel added to it though. 

It needs steel and pace and a lot more.

• Like 1

Sarr pretty much had a free run on the flank against Targett due to him having a mare and not getting enough help. We addressed that by subbing him and moving Young there at HT. Damage was already done by that point thou and we didn't look good for any sustained spell during the game but all 3 subs improved us. 

Nakamaba & McGinn is always going to be a very limited pairing in possession and when Nakamba also has a poor game defensively they pretty much offer nothing. Nakamba is not good enough to start games and this means we don't really have the players to play with a 4-2-3-1 system.

Think our issues and the reasons behind them has been extensively covered on here thou so not sure we need another round of it.

Onward and upwards 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But according to some that "steel" is an outdated concept despite us clearly getting bullied yesterday.

I know, what they don't admit to, is all the top clubs have it.

but you can't legislate, for how other folk watch and interpret a game....we still have to respect their view.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

That was more than a couple of selections wrong....The team had no energy or organisation, he himself described the first half as resembling a friendly, that is a poor indictment of not being prepared, the very thing our brand stands by.

I agree perspective is required, buy lets get real here....Dean is responsible for that, even if you don't want to blame him.....If that form continues, there is only one person that will be called in to the office, make no bones about that....He is the only one who can make that turgid offering go away.

2 coaches have now left, in close proximity, so he will have his work cut out, and he don't need this....but he has to sort it.

That team looked ill prepared, he has a week to put us back on track.....but European football is pipe dream on that display.

Yes I agree all on Smith yesterday. One team was prepared one team wasn't.  Theres no escuse for that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I agree all on Smith yesterday. One team was prepared one team wasn't.  Theres no escuse for that.

simply put....but yes.

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you will find folk react to a match, s if we carry on playing like that....its fair to say that was a relegation type offering.

Its how we react now and get back on track.....but I can't honestly see any prospect of Europe unless we inject some pace and power into centre midfield along with vision and tenacity.

The full backs need to up their game too, based on that display.

Cash has to show more bravery on the ball. Been hearing since he joined from Forest that he is an attacking full back. Really ? Not seeing it all in the last year. Halfway line, turns, back to Konsa. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Tbh, if the refereeing has been relaxed again in terms of contact and heavy tackles, then I’m more inclined to agree with @TRO on this.

My argument was always that the game had evolved away from physicality, but it seems they’re allowing more of it back in. In that case, maybe we could do with an enforcer. That clearly isn’t Nakamba though.

• Like 2

I think i'd describe our midfield issue as a lack of 'control' rather than anything else.

We simply haven't got anyone who can set the tempo and look after the ball, who can 'run the game'.

McGinn is 100mph all the time, so even when we need to take the sting out of the opposition, he's trying high risk passes that see the pressure straight back on us. Ramsey and Sanson seem similar style, Nakamba and Hourihane are simply not good enough.

Luiz is the closest, but he easily slips into being too casual.

We are constantly having to chase the ball in the middle of the park because we give it away too much, and it impacts at both ends of the pitch.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

On the basis of yesterday, Jack going, won't be as easy to recover from than we first thought.

Smith has never had a good record without JG. We only won 2 out of 13 in the Champ without him. We won 3 out of 12 without him last season and took just 12 points.

Now he's gone permanently and not coming back. But we've brought in some top quality attacking players so there are no excuses for Smith any more. 

Hopefully yesterday was just a one off and we really hit the ground running next week with our strongest team out from the start. A new CM/DM would be nice too.

• Like 2

Three things I'd like to see done in response to that game: 1.) drop Targett given he's not fit; 2.) shore up the midfield to get some solidity; 3.) start bailey. On that basis, I'd go with this for the next game:

Martinez

Cash  Konsa  Mings  Young

Mcginn  Nakamba  Luiz (or Ramsey/Sanson if doug isn't ready)

Buendia   Ings   Bailey

I'm actually pretty confident in our ability to create/finish chances on the basis of yesterday and that front 3's track record. But something isn't right defensively just now so we need to do a bit of a project restart mentality and focus on keeping it tight in the midfield so that the front 3 can express themselves further up the pitch. 

Â