Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s madness. One game!! 🤣 

But it isn't one game to these same posters. Every time it doesn't go to their perfect plan it's another excuse to come out and let rip. 

It's insane. Actually insane.

Just now, villalad21 said:

They also played top teams if I remember correctly. 

Conceding 3 goals against Watford is horrendous 

We beat Liverpool 7 - 2 and beat Leicester in our opening games last season. Did it lead to us winning the league?

Wrong every single year. 

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Step away from the cliff pal.Please...just step away.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

they lost at home to Newcastle first day and loads on here had them as bottom 3 certs.

In isolation first game dosen't really matter. We won at Bournemouth in 15/16 and then collected a further 14 points from the next 111 available. And been other seasons when we've lost first day and finished top 6.

Need to step up v Newcastle as Brentford will be a tricky fixture to win based on what they did v Arsenal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We definitely looked undercooked for the season which is disappointing as on paper we have a fairly easy start.

We should have got rid of Nakamba and Conor already this window and reinvested this plus 10 odd million to get a quality DM in.

Its going to take time to bed in for the season, hopefully after 3-4  more games we will be up and running and Smith will know his best XI is.

To whom? Is it really that easy in this market to just sell players…

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yep. 

I have a question for you. 

If you had the option of swapping Mcginn and Luiz with Rice and Soucek, would you do it? 

I'd do it all day long. 

If you didn’t post 90% of the time for a reaction I might get involved but not for now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Yes when you combine the fact he was injured for a long period before signing for us.

But why bother to check facts, rather than making ill informed passive aggressive responses

By all means share how many games he's been injured compared to how many games he's played then you can give it the large if it turns out he's a crock that should never have been signed.

I was focusing on the fact he has had one injury at the end of last season whilst as a player for us, rather than a 'perpetual' number of injuries as you put it.

There is nothing to suggest he is a injury liability.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

By all means share how many games he's been injured compared to how many games he's played then you can give it the large if it turns out he's a crock that should never have been signed.

I was focusing on the fact he has had one injury at the end of last season whilst as a player for us, rather than a 'perpetual' number of injuries as you put it.

There is nothing to suggest he is a injury liability.

Three serious knee injuries. He missed a whole.month (5 games).before signing for us.. basically when he gets hurt it is for long periods..again as we have seen here.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

This is more than just losing the opening fixture. 

The tactical setup is just wrong. 

He is shoehorning players into unnatural positions 

There are a lot more questions than there are answers and that's never a good sign. 

It wasn't great today but team selection was always going to be a bit sloppy. If likes of Bailey and Traore had more fitness I doubt Buendia would've been risked from the start for example and we're down on numbers in CM with Luiz and Sanson unavailable.

More annoyed personally he did nothing until 40th minute to stop Targett getting destroyed by Sarr.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It wasn't great today but team selection was always going to be a bit sloppy. If likes of Bailey and Traore had more fitness I doubt Buendia would've been risked from the start for example and we're down on numbers in CM with Luiz and Sanson unavailable.

More annoyed personally he did nothing until 40th minute to stop Targett getting destroyed by Sarr.

wonder if targett is still not 100% fit from injury?

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Yeh this is annoying. I guess he thought we could get to half time. That was definitely a mistake. 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think this is really the case - there’s a huge amount of modern-day football overreaction happening though.

It’s a disappointing result against a newly promoted team. These things happen in football. It doesn’t mean the end of the season has happened. 

Think the issue is we were so bad for first 70 minutes today it felt like many of our games from late Feb to May and we didn't win many at all in that period. So important we clamp down on it quickly otherwise we won't be winning many of first 10 games and will be in difficult league position to do much other than stay up.

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Three serious knee injuries. He missed a whole.month (5 games).before signing for us.. basically when he gets hurt it is for long periods..again as we have seen here.

oh my god a whole month...... so based on one injury where he was out a month before he joined and one admittedly bad injury he had at the last season, you can generalise that he always gets injured for long periods....

in that case why on Earth did we sign him, sell him now, he's the new Micah Richards

50 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

surely we'll only know what we need when we've been able to field our best eleven?

agree we need a physical, hard tackling midfielder who can pass and win balls in the air.

We need ALL players to be physical z hard tackling when we don't have the ball. That's the issue with Smith. That physicality is simply not coached into players already at his disposal. I like the man but he simply doesn't install that steel into his players. That 'you have to earn the right to play' mentality in them. Today and all preseason I felt we were far too laid back in play. Unacceptable. Totally unacceptable. And I refuse to accept this 'it takes time' mantra. Good managers adapt and change, same as good players. We've not addressed the areas we needed to, even if Jack had stayed. That midfield is lower prem/championship standard and it has been for years.

• Like 1

Â