Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If that is the case why did we spunk over 25 mil on Ings then? Surely would have made more sense bringing in a another centre mid rather than saying we are done?

I agree even though its hard to turn down such a high quality finisher like Ings so if he’s available they just went for him

Just now, RicRic said:

I agree even though its hard to turn down such a high quality finisher like Ings so if he’s available they just went for him

Resell him, there will be many takers and we would get our money back.

The trick is balance the team to get out of him ,what the rest of the league would.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that is exactly the point.

Ings will prove to be a good signing.....but as Keyblade has suggested the midfield is not good enough to play with 2 up front.

That is something that should have been thought through or still needs to be.....The answer is, the rebuild is not done, unless we are looking for a very disjointed season.

I  hope so or we have a unbalanced squad yet again. Give him time I think Smith will sort it out but it could damage our season a bit.

Players can have stinkers. They are not robots. But to see Targett fall to pieces when everyone knew their main threat was Ismaila Sarr even before the game started was not great. And to see him not given protection from Ash was equally not great. Poor preparation on this occasion i would say. 

Blimey, where to start. Terrible start to the season. I mentioned the other day how I feared we’d start poor due to a disrupted pre-season; change to back room staff, Grealish saga, and cancelled pre season games. It showed. But let’s not let the staff and players off the hook, this was garbage. We lacked any sharpness and intensity all over the park. I felt the worse when I saw our starting three were Young and El Ghazi supporting an isolated Ings. Not good enough I’m afraid. 

Watford played without much more tempo and desire. We were second to every ball in the first half and sadly left too much to do in the second. I don’t even think we looked good in the second 45 but it certainly wasn’t worse than the first. Targett was torn to shreds down the left and wasn’t given any support from Young. Cash had a terrible game by the standards he set last season. Buendia tried to do way too much when a simple pass was on. Ings was well off the pace I felt in the first half but granted he had zero to feed off. 

Our main issue was our central midfield. We were simply walked over by Watford. Nakamba and McGinn can’t retain possession well enough and we were left exposed throughout. But this is no surprises, it’s been our Achilles heel for a few years and was this weakness exposed today. We’re desperate for someone who can control the midfield. I’m a huge believer in the team that controls and wins the midfield will invariably win the game. Luiz is better than Nakamba but neither win the midfield well enough. Sanson is still a mystery and is more of an #8 anyway so we must address this. 

Bailey looked bright and has some power on his crosses. Really like how he’s clearly not the one-trick pony that Adama was for us with just pace and looks to assist at any opportunity. 

Not sure what the solution is ahead of Newcastle as I fear the same set up will leave us exposed again. Watkins should help us massively as his press and energy from the front should mean we have times when we win the ball higher up the field. Desperate for his return next week. Ramsey looked bright and he usually does when he’s a sub. Rarely does when he’s a starter bizarrely. 

We moved the ball better in the second half but still couldn’t carve open clear chances. This has been Smith’s Achilles heel whenever we’ve been left without Grealish. It needs seriously addressing.

Disappointed today. Very disappointed. Not too surprised in all honesty and I do think it’ll take a while to settle as a group. Issue is if we haven’t picked up points in these early games then the team may gel just in time for the very tough games which could get messy. 

On to next week. Put this down as a training exercise (for fitness and for how not to start the season) and get a full VP behind the boys next week for what feels like a huge game already. Seasons can hinge on certain moments. It may sound a tad dramatic and reactive to say but if we win next week then there’s instantly positivity back. Lose and pressure mounts and things can turn ugly fast. Get them sorted Deano. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Really, if the best you can contribute is to label anyone whose arguments you disagree with as “usual suspects” and “bed-wetters”, it would probably have been more productive for you to go out for a walk in the countryside or get on with folding up the ironing.

Arguments???? Oh lordy.

The usual suspects I refer to (we all know who they are) have been calling for Smith's head since he arrived.

There have been many stupid comments calling Smith useless and a shit manager and fretting that we will be relegated this season. These sort of "arguments" don't deserve a considered response. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

It's tedious and boring hearing their drivel (and no, I won't be driven away from an Aston Villa forum by you or any of the bedwetters before you come out with the classic "dont read it then").

Perhaps you're the one who needs to take a walk in the countryside. Might give you some perspective.

That said, there have definately been some more considered and constructive criticisms in the last hour, those are not the ones I was referring to.

Edited by TheStagMan

1 minute ago, Paulie said:

Not concerned at all. 

Targett was considered by most here to be our most improved player last season and on the fringes of a call up to the England squad.  

He looked off the pace today, and he got the quick hook - something that many here have been negatively vocal about Deano’s reluctance to do so. I’d be more concerned if we were shut out… both of their first two goals we got the block in and were unlucky, especially the second.  Happy with how we responded in the second half, and happy dean recognized our tactical errors in the set up and fixed them.

Will be interesting to see who he goes with at LB going forward…. 

I wonder just wonder if Targett is a shrinking violet . Having crowds back maybe effects him negatively.

47 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thing is Leon bailey - whose had the least bedding time - looked our best player. ...I'm almost hoping he doesn't bed in.!!!

Takes a bit of explaining that one....I guess its one for the less believing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Arguments???? Oh lordy.

The usual suspects I refer to (we all know who they are) have been calling for Smith's head since he arrived.

There have been many stupid comments calling Smith useless and a shit manager and fretting that we will be relegated this season. These sort of "arguments" don't deserve a considered response. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

It's tedious and boring hearing their drivel (and no, I won't be driven away from an Aston Villa forum by you or any of the bedwetters before you come out with the classic "dont read it then").

Perhaps you're the one who needs to take a walk in the countryside. Might give you some perspective.

I think its fair dinkum to be asking a few questions of an established Premier league team, who have an exciting project, but blown away by a new upstart on the first day of the campaign.

If you, made a play for your reasoning for it, it might be in keeping of what's expected from a forum.

our personal feelings of the way we manage that set back, is irrelevant......but discussing what we think went wrong, might be nifty.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Blimey, where to start. Terrible start to the season. I mentioned the other day how I feared we’d start poor due to a disrupted pre-season; change to back room staff, Grealish saga, and cancelled pre season games. It showed. But let’s not let the staff and players off the hook, this was garbage. We lacked any sharpness and intensity all over the park. I felt the worse when I saw our starting three were Young and El Ghazi supporting an isolated Ings. Not good enough I’m afraid. 

Watford played without much more tempo and desire. We were second to every ball in the first half and sadly left too much to do in the second. I don’t even think we looked good in the second 45 but it certainly wasn’t worse than the first. Targett was torn to shreds down the left and wasn’t given any support from Young. Cash had a terrible game by the standards he set last season. Buendia tried to do way too much when a simple pass was on. Ings was well off the pace I felt in the first half but granted he had zero to feed off. 

Our main issue was our central midfield. We were simply walked over by Watford. Nakamba and McGinn can’t retain possession well enough and we were left exposed throughout. But this is no surprises, it’s been our Achilles heel for a few years and was this weakness exposed today. We’re desperate for someone who can control the midfield. I’m a huge believer in the team that controls and wins the midfield will invariably win the game. Luiz is better than Nakamba but neither win the midfield well enough. Sanson is still a mystery and is more of an #8 anyway so we must address this. 

Bailey looked bright and has some power on his crosses. Really like how he’s clearly not the one-trick pony that Adama was for us with just pace and looks to assist at any opportunity. 

Not sure what the solution is ahead of Newcastle as I fear the same set up will leave us exposed again. Watkins should help us massively as his press and energy from the front should mean we have times when we win the ball higher up the field. Desperate for his return next week. Ramsey looked bright and he usually does when he’s a sub. Rarely does when he’s a starter bizarrely. 

We moved the ball better in the second half but still couldn’t carve open clear chances. This has been Smith’s Achilles heel whenever we’ve been left without Grealish. It needs seriously addressing.

Disappointed today. Very disappointed. Not too surprised in all honesty and I do think it’ll take a while to settle as a group. Issue is if we haven’t picked up points in these early games then the team may gel just in time for the very tough games which could get messy. 

On to next week. Put this down as a training exercise (for fitness and for how not to start the season) and get a full VP behind the boys next week for what feels like a huge game already. Seasons can hinge on certain moments. It may sound a tad dramatic and reactive to say but if we win next week then there’s instantly positivity back. Lose and pressure mounts and things can turn ugly fast. Get them sorted Deano. 

If we want to progress that has to stop.....we can dress it up any way we like, but that has been said too many times.

It can be a multiple of disciplines not being done that can lead to that, but it has to stop.

If it continues we will be in trouble.....guaranteed.

• Like 1

For years we as a club have choppedd and changed defence and front line thinking that's been the issue yet time and time again have ignored the blatantly obvious sub standard midfield. Yet again this summer we've done the same in ignoring what a shit midfield we have. One that gets overrun, lacks steel and doesn't add any guile, steel when without the ball, or creativity or attacking intent going forward. And signing just one player in, for example, JWP, simply doesn't fix it. We play a box to box midfielder in McGinn far too deep for one. The balance and game plan of that side today was a disgrace for a side who have spent what we have. And that frankly is at the feet of the head coach.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

Most of our squad have had virtually no preseason. I think Targett and Buendia have barely played and had injuries, same with Traore.

Lost Grealish - so now have to work out how to play as a team without him

Lost Watkins to injury (lets hope he's not out for 3 months)

Missing Luiz and at least half our side are lacking match fitness/sharpness.

Lost two very influential coaches

Playing Young and Anwar today backfired, but the rest of the above wasn't Dean's fault.

• Like 3

Just now, TRO said:

If we want to progress that has to stop.....we can dress it up any way we like, but that has been said too many times.

It can be a multiple of disciplines not being done that can lead to that, but it has to stop.

If it continues we will be in trouble.....guaranteed.

People won't like to hear it but our recruitment remind me a fair bit of Arsenal. 

Signing all these technical easy on the eye attackers but forgetting about those "Dirty" players. 

As a result we're a team that still have a soft underbelly. 

• Like 3

A lot of things to learn from the game today for Dean. No doubt in my mind that he'll get it right, but with all these new players and a heavily disrupted pre-season, there's always going to be a little trial and error.

11 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

For years we as a club have choppedd and changed defence and front line thinking that's been the issue yet time and time again have ignored the blatantly obvious sub standard midfield. Yet again this summer we've done the same in ignoring what a shit midfield we have. One that gets overrun, lacks steel and doesn't add any guile, steel when without the ball, or creativity or attacking intent going forward. And signing just one player in, for example, JWP, simply doesn't fix it. We okay McGinn far too deep for one. The balance and game plan of that side today was a disgrace for a side who have spent what we have. And that frankly is at the feet of the head coach.

when it is stated that we are second to every ball...whether its the first half or second....its an indictment.

It has to lie with the coach....if its not being demanded or the players just ignore it, or whatever.....but the responsibility lies with the coach.

This to me is a mentality as much as a fitnessor even a culture.....but they are necessary....I totally agree with your resume.

You can rest assured, with the monies spent over the last 2.5 years, Dean will get it right, because the Owners will demand it.

I have a suspicion, Dean moving forward will be demanding, not suggesting that his players do the same.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People won't like to hear it but our recruitment remind me a fair bit of Arsenal. 

Signing all these technical easy on the eye attackers but forgetting about those "Dirty" players. 

As a result we're a team that still have a soft underbelly. 

Its my under lying fear....and I keep hoping I am wrong.

but I think you are right.

One poster suggested we were so obsessed with replacing Jack, we forgot about the rest of the team.

The biggest issue I had with the game today was the huge amount of space between the back four and the midfield. We didn't move up and down the pitch very well as a team at all. When we moved up the pitch we didn't squeeze them anywhere near enough, they had so much time to play through us.

• Like 1

Ings and Ollie both put a shift in defensively.  Playing Ings as a second striker in the Barkley role from last season will be perfectly fine. 

martinez 

cash konsa mings young

Luiz    Mcginn 

Buendia Ings Bailey

watkins

i think this will shake out to be our best XI…

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its my under lying fear....and I keep hoping I am wrong.

but I think you are right.

One poster suggested we were so obsessed with replacing Jack, we forgot about the rest of the team.

Yep. 

I have a question for you. 

If you had the option of swapping Mcginn and Luiz with Rice and Soucek, would you do it? 

I'd do it all day long. 

• Haha 1

That lack of getting stuck in today really worried me. A newly promoted team as opposition and there was no 'welcome to the premier league' attitude at all. Watford ran through us like a hot knife through butter. Had all the alarm bells of a Sherwood side. Tom Cleverly ran the midfield for Christ sake!? Smith can moan all he likes about that's not what he expects but bloody hell man you set that side up, you played that unbalanced side, you gave the prematch talk, and worryingly, YOU didn't have a clue how to change it til it got to half time. Good, nay, decent managers, have good in-game management whilst the players are on the bloody pitch. Yet time and time again he has come short in that respect. Sorry but I can't see him lasting the season unless he ups HIS Game let alone the expensively assembled squad he has at his disposal. NSWE don't suffer fools, nor does Purslow.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

Â