Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

Just now, villalad21 said:

What are you on about?

This squad is good enough to at the very least finish mid table. Far from relegation.

Yeah we lost Grealish but we added 4 quality players.

It's quite clear if you read my post , we won't improve , we finished mid table last season. 

I think today showed we still have to be in the market for a DM. 

You also worry the FBs aren’t good enough either. Targett was brilliant last season but every season before that he was average at best. He looked back to that level today. Cash was probably our weakest defender last season but was still reasonably good - but second season is always the big one and based on today he’s regressed.

We have to get Bailey and Ollie back for next week. Anything other than 3 points is unacceptable.

Just now, TRO said:

why?

Not sure but just get impression Targett is one of those who needs a run of games? Am I right in thinking he didn’t get a full pre season?

I also thought he was left exposed by Nakamba, so maybe it was harsh to pin all the blame on him.

This is interesting this shows LB was played on the left but he was way better when playing on the right and that would make sense as hes left footed and is very dangerous cutting in with his left foot, it’s going to be hard and sacrifices will need to be made. 

9FE7E982-66F8-4F97-90B9-19F345CB697A.jpeg

Edited by RicRic

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think today showed we still have to be in the market for a DM. 

You also worry the FBs aren’t good enough either. Targett was brilliant last season but every season before that he was average at best. He looked back to that level today. Cash was probably our weakest defender last season but was still reasonably good - but second season is always the big one and based on today he’s regressed.

We have to get Bailey and Ollie back for next week. Anything other than 3 points is unacceptable.

Cash was one of our best defenders last season ! It was hard to find a bad game so not sure who you may have been watching, mings would have been the weakest but even he played very well

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I get what you are saying, but again Young managed it, and he’s not Usain Bolt these days.

Targett was great last season, so I don’t accept that he’s shit now all of a sudden. The problems he faced last season he faced today, except last season he coped, and today he didn’t. Hard to see how that can be down to anything except either fitness, or psychology.

I accept he was better last season and I accept he was one of our more improved players....I don't necessarily see him as an ideal full back to be dealing with pacy and plucky wingers....I don't think he is the quickest, that is not saying he is ***t like some lazy respondee's are alluding too.....but I can't claim to be leader of his fan club, but he linked up with Jack well....did Jack show him up in a better light?, time will tell.

He may have had a bad day, it could be numerous explanations....but it seems both full backs had iffy days, that does not suggest too much defensive quality was on show.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not sure but just get impression Targett is one of those who needs a run of games? Am I right in thinking he didn’t get a full pre season?

I also thought he was left exposed by Nakamba, so maybe it was harsh to pin all the blame on him.

I am not doing that....but each individual player has to account for his performance.

when a number of players have an off day, that inevitably has an affect on the whole team....and can easily drag other players in to having low performance marks.

when I watch a game, i have influences from other games computing in my head, so I then form an opinion of said player.

I accept Target had a good season last season, but I am not as accepting of him as a star player,as some, he has good attributes and some dodgy ones....as we aspire to European places or Cups, we will require a higher level of player...and that goes for a few of them.

unless they can show a much better return, than what they did today.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

I am not doing that....but each individual player has to account for his performance.

when a number of players have an off day, that inevitably has an affect on the whole team....and can easily drag other players in to having low performance marks.

when I watch a game, i have influences from other games computing in my head, so I then from an opinion of said player.

I accept Target had a good season last season, but I am not as accepting of him as a star player,as some, he has good attributes and some dodgy ones....as we aspire to European places or Cups, we will require a higher level of player...and that goes for a few of them.

unless they can show a much better return, than what they did today.

Yeah wasn’t accusing you of that, just a general comment. Agree with all of this.

I think Young will start next game at LB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

However being pushed in the back is a foul unless it's no longer a foul?.

No its a foul, when the referee blows his whistle.

We have to man up and manage the situation.

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Wouldnt even call it off day we just wasn’t prepared for the onslaught in that area thats all, but @TRO wasn’t wrong his athleticism isn’t great but thats not to say he isn’t good 

It takes many attributes to make a player.....the best have more than others.

I never said Targett was a bad player, just pointing out some of his weaknesses.....other posters were alluding to that.

59 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Wouldnt even call it off day we just wasn’t prepared for the onslaught in that area thats all, but @TRO wasn’t wrong his athleticism isn’t great but thats not to say he isn’t good 

Targett is limited. Lacks pace and agility. Sarr's attributes are his bane. He wasn't helped by how easily they got through our midfield. 

We should have been prepared for the onslaught. Ashley Young clearly hasn't remembered the defensive duties of a left winger. McGinn was often caught up the field when they countered us. The pace and power Watford had on the break was impressive. A dangerous counter attacking team. 

No excuse for that first half, it was atrocious and Smith has to take the blame.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Cash was one of our best defenders last season ! It was hard to find a bad game so not sure who you may have been watching, mings would have been the weakest but even he played very well

Defensively Cash didn't do much wrong. Targett got rinsed, but he didn't get enough protection. Targett is not good enough to go one on one with most wingers, especially someone like sarr. Last season he received lots of protection and was very conservative in his attacks.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Targett is limited. Lacks pace and agility. Sarr's attributes are his bane. He wasn't helped by how easily they got through our midfield. 

We should have been prepared for the onslaught. Ashley Young clearly hasn't remembered the defensive duties of a left winger. McGinn was often caught up the field when they countered us. The pace and power Watford had on the break was impressive. A dangerous counter attacking team. 

No excuse for that first half, it was atrocious and Smith has to take the blame.

Thats where his instincts take him......we need a few midfielders with an instinct to defend and a tendency to attack, in that order.

14 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Defensively Cash didn't do much wrong. Targett got rinsed, but he didn't get enough protection. Targett is not good enough to go one on one with most wingers, especially someone like sarr. Last season he received lots of protection and was very conservative in his attacks.

I am not totally sold on Cash as a defender.....he's ok at certain things

weak with balls in the air.

I can tell he is a converted winger.

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

One thing is clear, we do t have the midfield personnel for a 4231 or 442. We don't have a single midfielder who can work in a 2. We do now however have enough good midfielders to play Deano's preferred 433. If that means Buendia and Traore have to fight it out for that right forward spot, so be it. Whoever gets the shirt will be on form that's for sure. Time to play to our strengths. We aren't the creative force we once we're unfortunately.

If that is the case why did we spunk over 25 mil on Ings then? Surely would have made more sense bringing in a another centre mid rather than saying we are done?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Cash seem to have lost that fire in his belly. The hunger to do well that he had last season. 

I don't recognize him at all. 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

If that is the case why did we spunk over 25 mil on Ings then? Surely would have made more sense bringing in a another centre mid rather than saying we are done?

I think that is exactly the point.

Ings will prove to be a good signing.....but as Keyblade has suggested the midfield is not good enough to play with 2 up front.

That is something that should have been thought through or still needs to be.....The answer is, the rebuild is not done, unless we are looking for a very disjointed season.

• Like 1

Â