How many points from the first 5 games?

PieFacE

Just looking at the first 3 really, would be disappointed with less than 7.

Watford certainly isn't a secure win, would be o.k with a point but we really should be looking to win the two home games given how tricky September is.

Already Chelsea away looks a right off given Martinez, Buendia and Luiz will likely be playing for their countries 48 hours before which is pretty ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Tayls said:

Draw against Newcastle. I think we’re going to struggle first 10 at least. 

I read that right.....9 defeats from the first 10?!

I know there's pessimism but that's a whole different level. Think in 15/16 we were on 5 or 6 points after first 10 games.

I assume you're already thinking of next manager as no way DS would survive a run like that.

Edit: Sorry, you mean 1 point from first 5. I mean still defeats v Brentford and Watford ain't going to put the post G****ish era into a positive start and the manager will be under plenty of pressure. Would make me nervous we'd bomb like in 15/16 but I think we'll be better than that, the defensive unit can still keep clean sheets for a start which should help us in early weeks.

Edited by VillaChris

Think it's almost unfortunate we've gotten such a handy start on paper as with pre-season going the way it has and the lack of availability of certain players the chance to properly capitalise isn't as great as it could have been. Would ordinarily be quite confident of winning all of the first three but I can't shake the feeling that it won't work out that way. Can only echo that anything beyond 8 points and you can colour me content with the start.

The main question should be, will we win against Brentford?

I’m not sure when was the last time that happened. 
We won lately against Watford (despite the bad results). Newcastle we seem to do well against them (after a lot of years without even winning). Brentford we don’t win against at all. Chelsea we used to do good, then wen into bad results, last season it all changed. Everton we haven’t lost against since we were back. 

I think the trickiest one is Brentford. The hardest is Chelsea. For Watford, we’re not ready. 

I think performance wise we’ll do well against Newcastle and Everton (hopefully wins too). But the other 3 will be hard. Each one for a reason itself. Yet I’m so excited about the Watford game. Although I still remember Sarr day when they won 3-0, and they were down to 10. 

11 hours ago, PieFacE said:

The new season is nearly here! 

Our first 5 games are:

• Watford (A)
  • Newcastle (H)
  • Brentford (H)
  • Chelsea (A)
  • Everton (H)

So how many points we getting from that lot? 

Personally I think

• Watford - D
  • Newcastle - W
  • Brentford - W
  • Chelsea - L
  • Everton - D
  • Total = 8 points

I’d take 8.

10 would be a great haul

3 points. A win vs Newcastle, basically.

I think we will struggle against the newly promoted teams because they always hit the first 5 games with gusto before every other team starts to work them out and they start dropping.

Add to that we have some some cohesion problems in attack and I simply don't see a start like we had last season. I expect we'll have a better second half of the campaign compared to last season.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I read that right.....9 defeats from the first 10?!

I know there's pessimism but that's a whole different level. Think in 15/16 we were on 5 or 6 points after first 10 games.

I assume you're already thinking of next manager as no way DS would survive a run like that.

Edit: Sorry, you mean 1 point from first 5. I mean still defeats v Brentford and Watford ain't going to put the post G****ish era into a positive start and the manager will be under plenty of pressure. Would make me nervous we'd bomb like in 15/16 but I think we'll be better than that, the defensive unit can still keep clean sheets for a start which should help us in early weeks.

Yea was 1 point from the first 5 games. But I think the first 10 games are going to be a struggle whilst we actually look to figure out our identity. Once we have done that we’ll push on, hopefully. 

So much rests on the first game and I don't feel we are ready ( players not available and the disruptive pre season) and Watford most definitely  will be ready .

Watford loss,

Newcastle a draw.

Brentford a win 

Chelsea a loss

Everton a draw. 

5 points , fingers crossed I'm wrong and we beat Watford , if we do that then we stand a good chance of beating Newcastle. 

16 hours ago, PieFacE said:

The new season is nearly here! 

Our first 5 games are:

• Watford (A)
  • Newcastle (H)
  • Brentford (H)
  • Chelsea (A)
  • Everton (H)

So how many points we getting from that lot? 

Personally I think

• Watford - D
  • Newcastle - W
  • Brentford - W
  • Chelsea - L
  • Everton - D
  • Total = 8 points

I think 8 would be a minimum expectation really. 

Watford we should be winning but could drop points, I think Everton is also a game we should be looking to win but again a point isn’t disastrous.

8-12 would be a decent return and looking towards the upper end of that.

In the reverse fixtures last season (where Baggies = Watford and Sheff U = Brentford) we took:

Wet Bum (a) - 3

Barcodes (h) - 3

Sheff U (h) - 3

Chelsea (a) - 1

Everton (h) - 1

So 11 points in total. Seeing as we’re looking to beat last season’s points tally I think we really need to be winning 3 of those games if possible and getting a minimum of 10 points, so hopefully we do.