Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

If they really need to do an overseas game, they should just do an All-Star game. North XI v South XI or something like that.

That would be perfect. Let them all play each other extra times to get burn out. Then the Midlands teams can have extra rest

The issue Aston Villa faces is the income gap between the big 4 and the rest. This has been driven by those teams bullying the other 14 into giving over more prize money to them when all prize Money should be split equally or as close to it as possible. 

We need to redress this balance somehow. The best way to do this is grow the Premier League income relative to the Champions League. This closes the gap. So ditching Sky and Premier League starting its own streaming service for example. This would boost Prem income massively and we could use such big paydays to spread the income more evenly.

United or City aren't going to say no to a doubling of the TV money even if that means it's spread more evenly than the current tv money. It's more money for them and they'll take it.

We've come through the era of the big clubs planning their breakaway and using the threat to take more and more slice of the pie for themselves. We now need to redress this balance 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think they'd be happier doing away with it altogether than playing it abroad. 

It’ll be watered down at some point and i can see it becoming a cup played between the lower three divisions only and with the eradication of the football league trophy, but whilst it still has a European slot attached to it it’s still attractive for the PL clubs.

Its also another USP for English football in my opinion, having two major domestic cup competitions, to my knowledge the vast majority of other nations only have the one.

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Not allowed in the Premier League. EFL clubs have the same, but have to get rid once promoted, I think we even had one at one point?

I was hoping to set up a McGinn joke by someone but I didn't know it wasn't allowed. 

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’ll be watered down at some point and i can see it becoming a cup played between the lower three divisions only and with the eradication of the football league trophy, but whilst it still has a European slot attached to it it’s still attractive for the PL clubs.

Its also another USP for English football in my opinion, having two major domestic cup competitions, to my knowledge the vast majority of other nations only have the one.

Think its just us and Scotland. France have, or will be scrapping it. St Johnstone winning both domestic cups is an incredible achievement last season, shame no fans could watch either final live.

They won't play the league Cup semi or final abroad because Wembley is as good a cash cow as any stadium in the world 

And they shouldn't either, no way should there be a foreign game, it would never ever represent parity, who gets the gate receipts? you play a final of utd vs villa in Singapore you think that stadium gets a 50/50 split like Wembley does? The league game abroad was an utter dogshit idea and a non starter, villa go down by 1 point and we lost to Liverpool in Sydney and the team in 17th beat Norwich in Qatar... Here comes the argument as to how fair that is... And who wants to watch 20th vs 17th anyway? 

To be blunt if you live abroad and decide to support an English team you can not moan that said English team never comes to you to play a game, you go to them, it's part of the package 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They won't play the league Cup semi or final abroad because Wembley is as good a cash cow as any stadium in the world 

And they shouldn't either, no way should there be a foreign game, it would never ever represent parity, who gets the gate receipts? you play a final of utd vs villa in Singapore you think that stadium gets a 50/50 split like Wembley does? The league game abroad was an utter dogshit idea and a non starter, villa go down by 1 point and we lost to Liverpool in Sydney and the team in 17th beat Norwich in Qatar... Here comes the argument as to how fair that is... And who wants to watch 20th vs 17th anyway? 

To be blunt if you live abroad and decide to support an English team you can not moan that said English team never comes to you to play a game, you go to them, it's part of the package 

Exactly!

Support your local side!

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agreed. A 39th game is a shit as it won't be parity then as you say. Some team will play the bottom team 3 times while some other poor team plays the champions 3 times. The idea can get in the sea. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We need to redress this balance somehow. The best way to do this is grow the Premier League income relative to the Champions League. This closes the gap. So ditching Sky and Premier League starting its own streaming service for example. This would boost Prem income massively and we could use such big paydays to spread the income more evenly.

United or City aren't going to say no to a doubling of the TV money even if that means it's spread more evenly than the current tv money. It's more money for them and they'll take it 

I think that’s very naive.  The big 4 will use that change to take a massive share of the income, much more than they currently get. They want all the money for themselves, if the money doubles for everyone, they still want Norwich and Evertons share. They will not stop until they kill the current structure of payments and get to keep all the money.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Exactly!

Support your local side!

I think that's too far

Got no issue with a Villa fan from absolutely anywhere in the world

But the pilgrimage to VP should be factored in when choosing to support us

A 12 year old kid in Rio who becomes a Villa fan because Dougie is his favourite player can't do that with the expectation that villa will one day play a game vs Leicester in the maracana in front of 80k fans

Same as if I said Dougie is my favourite villa player so I'll get a soft spot for vasco and then suggest that they play a league game vs corinthians at Wembley one year

If you want to support villa or any other team from another country you are free to do so but the key is "another country" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I think that’s very naive.  The big 4 will use that change to take a massive share of the income, much more than they currently get. They want all the money for themselves, if the money doubles for everyone, they still want Norwich and Evertons share. They will not stop until they kill the current structure of payments and get to keep all the money.

They can want all they like, they can't stop the scenario I explained as they already played their break away league card, it failed and they can't use the threat of that to get what they want anymore. The Premier League decides on how the TV revenue is split and with the 14 teams the votes are controlled.

So my scenario is far from naive. It just needs strong leadership and determination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The issue Aston Villa faces is the income gap between the big 4 and the rest. This has been driven by those teams bullying the other 14 into giving over more prize money to them when all prize Money should be split equally or as close to it as possible. 

United or City aren't going to say no to a doubling of the TV money even if that means it's spread more evenly than the current tv money. It's more money for them and they'll take it.

We've come through the era of the big clubs planning their breakaway and using the threat to take more and more slice of the pie for themselves. We now need to redress this balance 

I think we should concentrate on being the best of the rest - outside of the big 4. 

I don't think overhauling or joining the big 4 is feasible. Don't think of the big 4 as football clubs. They are multinational companies they aren't going to give over market share because we string together a run of good results.

Being a Leicester is the best we can hope for imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Exactly!

Support your local side!

My closest professional team (MLS) is an hour's flight away. So if Villa decided to have a preseason in or around Vancouver, Seattle or Portland that would be lovely.

Having said that it, does not sound easy to get a ticket to watch at Villa Park, at least at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think we should concentrate on being the best of the rest

I get what you are saying and agree with your intent. But I also think we should decide on what we mean by best?  Is being routinely in the top 4 "best"? Villa could just become one of despised top teams: do we want this?  Is there a classy way of becoming a top competitive team. Leicester had a good shot at it. We have history on our side.

We are not going to out Man City at being Man City.

We don't want to.

On 28/09/2021 at 19:28, fruitvilla said:

I get what you are saying and agree with your intent. But I also think we should decide on what we mean by best?  Is being routinely in the top 4 "best"? Villa could just become one of despised top teams: do we want this?  Is there a classy way of becoming a top competitive team. Leicester had a good shot at it. We have history on our side.

We are not going to out Man City at being Man City.

We don't want to.

I could live with being despised if we were regularly in the top 4. Indeed it's a by product of being successful. The aim is keep and expand the villa fanbase  - you're never going to get fans of other clubs to be happy if we start winning trophies instead of them.

I think being the next Leicester is the best we can hope for.

The Champions League with its new co-efficient rules on payments and qualification is effectively a closed shop now (and the revenue that goes with it). That's a massive potential money earner for us which will be very difficult to keep qualifying for.

Listening to a bit on the Newcastle / Saudi / FA court case yesterday, effectively confirms other PL clubs lobbied the premier league against the ideas of the Saudis (and a new superclub). Meaning, those big 4/6 will do whatever it takes to stay there, not by bettering themselves but by lowering others. 

Unless big Wes and Nassef want to go nuclear with their spending (probably talking 1.5 - 2bn over 10 years with some clever accounting), the best we can hope for is the odd CL qualification and domestic cup run. Personally I'm happy if we get there and keep our authenticity, promote youth etc. I'd hate to become another Man City. 

With regards to commercial revenue, our target should be best of the rest and unless something serious changes at the top of the Premier League and UEFA that's where we will stay. 

On 28/09/2021 at 16:23, CVByrne said:

It would be wrong to divide the money evenly and it would also lessen the value of the PL. The PL would be a much less attractive advertising proposition if it did not have elite teams. Also, the better teams deserve more money as they are winning more. There is no way Burnley should be earning the same amount of money as Liverpool as Liverpool provide a better product and Liverpool help to increase the amount the TV rights are sold for much more than Burnley do. It is a competitive sport and those that compete better will correctly get more of a reward

11 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Unless big Wes and Nassef want to go nuclear with their spending (probably talking 1.5 - 2bn over 10 years with some clever accounting)

NSWE don't have to go nuclear to hit those numbers, our current spend rate is well on target to be in excess of 1 Billion in 10 years.

Â