How many national teams capped a Villa player?

abdulaziz1

I was thinking when we were linked to Milot Rashica last year (I know I know 😅) about how many players we’re getting from new nationalities to the PL. Last week I was in Tanzania, I’ve not noticed many football shirts, but atleast I saw 3-4 Villa shirts. I was there only for a quick transit. So basically the Samatta influence made people buy Villa shirts (it wasn’t written Samatta in behind. I know that Samatta himself wasn’t a success story in terms of footballing ability. But I think it gave us attention there. I assume the same goes with Nakamba and Traore. 

Anyway, that made me want to know how many national teams has Villa players been capped in. I mean capping while playing for Villa (unlike Pires for example). 

I will try and use my memory to get some names, but I’m sure I’ll forget a lot or some that I won’t even know. I think we might be one of the most teams to have that (especially in the last couple of years).

Obviously England.

2-Ireland (Hourihane), 3-Scotland (McGinn) 4-Argentina (Martinez) 5-Croatia (Kalinic) 6-Burkina Faso (Traore) 7-Egypt (Trezeguet) 8-Zimbabwe (Nakamba) 9-Tanzania (Samatta) 10-Morocco (KEA) 11-Benin (Gestede) 12-Czech (Kozak) 13-Colombia (Angel) 14-Sweden (Melberg) 15-Ghana (Ayew) 16-Norway (Carew) 17-Denmark (Laursen) 18-Australia (Holman) 19-USA (Guzan) 20-Iceland (Thor) 21-Bailey (Jamaica but not yet) 22-Brazil (Luiz) 23-Bulgaria (Stan) 24-Wales (Taylor) 25-Northern Ireland (Steven Davis) 26-Ivory Coast (Kodjia) 27-Belgium (Benteke) 28-Trindad (Yorke) 29-Caracou (Bacuna) 30-Netherlands (Bouma) 31-Senegal (Beye) 32-Congo (Bolasie) 33-Germany (Hitzelberger) 34-Switzerland (Senderos) 35-Austria (Weimann) 36-Togo (Salifou) 37-Peru (Solano)

Now there are some players such as Sylla I’m not sure if he played for Mali while he was with us. Same goes with Makoun/Djamba Djemba 😅.(Cameroon). Amavi/Gana aswell....etc

Tried to imagine the three continents map and that what came with me (actually there are players from each continent apart from ours, hopefully Kamada could be the first in the next couple of days!). 
I’m sure there are some easy ones which I didn’t add. 

It might also be nice to know how many nationalities have ever played for Villa compared to other PL teams.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I was thinking when we were linked to Milot Rashica last year (I know I know 😅) about how many players we’re getting from new nationalities to the PL. Last week I was in Tanzania, I’ve not noticed many football shirts, but atleast I saw 3-4 Villa shirts. I was there only for a quick transit. So basically the Samatta influence made people buy Villa shirts (it wasn’t written Samatta in behind. I know that Samatta himself wasn’t a success story in terms of footballing ability. But I think it gave us attention there. I assume the same goes with Nakamba and Traore. 

Anyway, that made me want to know how many national teams has Villa players been capped in. I mean capping while playing for Villa (unlike Pires for example). 

I will try and use my memory to get some names, but I’m sure I’ll forget a lot or some that I won’t even know. I think we might be one of the most teams to have that (especially in the last couple of years).

Obviously England.

2-Ireland (Hourihane), 3-Scotland (McGinn) 4-Argentina (Martinez) 5-Croatia (Kalinic) 6-Burkina Faso (Traore) 7-Egypt (Trezeguet) 8-Zimbabwe (Nakamba) 9-Tanzania (Samatta) 10-Morocco (KEA) 11-Benin (Gestede) 12-Czech (Kozak) 13-Colombia (Angel) 14-Sweden (Melberg) 15-Ghana (Ayew) 16-Norway (Carew) 17-Denmark (Laursen) 18-Australia (Holman) 19-USA (Guzan) 20-Iceland (Thor) 21-Bailey (Jamaica but not yet) 22-Brazil (Luiz) 23-Bulgaria (Stan) 24-Wales (Taylor) 25-Northern Ireland (Steven Davis) 26-Ivory Coast (Kodjia) 27-Belgium (Benteke) 28-Trindad (Yorke) 29-Caracou (Bacuna) 30-Netherlands (Bouma) 31-Senegal (Beye) 32-Congo (Bolasie) 33-Germany (Hitzelberger) 34-Switzerland (Senderos) 35-Austria (Weimann) 36-Togo (Salifou) 37-Peru (Solano)

Now there are some players such as Sylla I’m not sure if he played for Mali while he was with us. Same goes with Makoun/Djamba Djemba 😅.(Cameroon). Amavi/Gana aswell....etc

Tried to imagine the three continents map and that what came with me (actually there are players from each continent apart from ours, hopefully Kamada could be the first in the next couple of days!). 
I’m sure there are some easy ones which I didn’t add. 

It might also be nice to know how many nationalities have ever played for Villa compared to other PL teams.

I can’t believe that when you think of ROI players and all the great players over the last 30 years who’ve played for our club, and you name Hourihane? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Obviously England.

2-Ireland (Hourihane), 3-Scotland (McGinn) 4-Argentina (Martinez) 5-Croatia (Kalinic) 6-Burkina Faso (Traore) 7-Egypt (Trezeguet) 8-Zimbabwe (Nakamba) 9-Tanzania (Samatta) 10-Morocco (KEA) 11-Benin (Gestede) 12-Czech (Kozak) 13-Colombia (Angel) 14-Sweden (Melberg) 15-Ghana (Ayew) 16-Norway (Carew) 17-Denmark (Laursen) 18-Australia (Holman) 19-USA (Guzan) 20-Iceland (Thor) 21-Bailey (Jamaica but not yet) 22-Brazil (Luiz) 23-Bulgaria (Stan) 24-Wales (Taylor) 25-Northern Ireland (Steven Davis) 26-Ivory Coast (Kodjia) 27-Belgium (Benteke) 28-Trindad (Yorke) 29-Caracou (Bacuna) 30-Netherlands (Bouma) 31-Senegal (Beye) 32-Congo (Bolasie) 33-Germany (Hitzelberger) 34-Switzerland (Senderos) 35-Austria (Weimann) 36-Togo (Salifou) 

Good idea for a thread and it's something I've thought about myself.

Is it worth editing your post and putting the ist in alphabetical order (of country) and then adding in the names as and when someone comments? Could turn into a really good reference list then!

Ghana - Nii Lamptey or Albert Adomah, that was the first thing that popped in my head for some reason.

Serbia/Yugoslavia- Savo Milosevic, was Yugoslavia at the time he was with us.

Finland - Peter Enckelman is another we are missing I think.

Seems weird that we've had our fair share of French players but none capped at the time they were playing for us to the best of my knowledge.

Sure there's more...

49 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Ghana - Nii Lamptey or Albert Adomah, that was the first thing that popped in my head for some reason.

Serbia/Yugoslavia- Savo Milosevic, was Yugoslavia at the time he was with us.

Finland - Peter Enckelman is another we are missing I think.

Seems weird that we've had our fair share of French players but none capped at the time they were playing for us to the best of my knowledge.

Sure there's more...

Didier Six - now manager of Guinea.

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

Didier Six - now manager of Guinea.

Yeah he's a bit before my time, looked him up and was capped plenty by France it's just difficult to be sure if he was capped whilst playing for us, Wikipedia has his international career ending in 84 the same year he joined us, there may have been overlap but I've not found any solid evidence as of yet.

I'm sure some of our... erm... more experienced patrons may be able to confirm?

I always thought Julian Joachim had played for St. Vincent & Grenadines, but when I looked him up he got called up but then told he was ineligible when he got out there :( ( incidentally, his career trajectory is still ongoing, 46 and signing for non league side after non league side! )

Â