Great villa departures

hippo

How did you feel when a villa hero departed ?

Bruce Rioch 

I was only a young lad - there had been rumours for a while. I remember my dad being totally gutted.

It was an eye opener for me. Selling players for money was a new concept - and players not wanting to play for villa was just a ridiculous notion !!!

Ron Saunders

We should have seen it coming and they tinkered with his contract weeks before. A truly ridiculous decision by the then owners. Not sure we ever really recovered.

Gray/Gidman

I wasn't to fussed as my faith in Ron Saunders was 100%

Colin Gibson.

Very low profile in comparison. But the club was making bizzare decisions and generally being poorly managed. I just despaired.

Platt 

A real blow. Thought we could hang on to him. Not to be.

Ashley Young. 

The bigger picture was that we knew a major decline was coming.

Jack Grealish.  

His departure had been rumoured every year since relegation. So for me he stayed longer than expected.

Sad that his best season for us we couldn't see live. 

A plus point is some ballsy and decisive moves by the owners.

Yorke was by far the worst. A real childhood trauma. But if I’d have been 11 years old now, Jack leaving would probably hurt even more than Yorke’s departure did. 

Edited by El Zen

I think Yorke hurt the worst before this for me.

Platt I just couldn't believe the fee it was so otherworldly at the time and I was just excited to see what we did with it, which was one hell of a lot.

Dwight Yorke was the one that hit me the most. Since then I’ve got used to losing our best players to the ‘big clubs’. Barry was also a bad one, his piece in the paper about wanting to join Liverpool really annoyed me, then when he went to City, I couldn’t believe it. 

I also remember being pissed off when Southgate went to Middlesbrough because they had “more ambition” LOL!

At the time, as a young teenager, Yorke's departure was gutting. But swiftly forgotten when Dublin and Merson were amazing buys.  

Dunno if Gregory counts as a legend but I remember being surprisingly sad when he quit too. 

Barry's departure was crack handled but I've long since forgiven him. Young leaving was telegraphed a long way off so had time to prepare for that. 

For me it was Friedel.

When I think about the 3 best US GK's I have ever seen play (Friedel, Keller, and Howard) I just got the most out of watching Brad play for Villa and how he commanded his troops if you will. I think he had a lot left to give us. I have met him before and he such a down to earth dude.

17 minutes ago, wict01 said:

The one that hurt me most was Barry in 2009, but Jack has eclipsed that this summer.

came to say Barry too

from memory you kind of knew what man city were doing back then but we were competing with them, i dont think they'd got CL at that point, it was definitely not the leap forward that Grealish is making, and then you throw in all the NotW bollocks from his florida holiday home he left a real sour taste

1 league title and 1 FA cup in 4 years too, its easy to forget that pre pep city didnt actually win that much, milner only has 2 leagues, 1 league cup and 1 FA cup in 5 years there, its not the glory that they were promised in my opinion 

Edit - i had a look, the 1 FA cup final milner won with city he was an unused sub, the league cup that he won with them he was unused sub

Edited by villa4europe

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

At the time, as a young teenager, Yorke's departure was gutting. But swiftly forgotten when Dublin and Merson were amazing buys.  

Dunno if Gregory counts as a legend but I remember being surprisingly sad when he quit too. 

Barry's departure was crack handled but I've long since forgiven him. Young leaving was telegraphed a long way off so had time to prepare for that. 

Ditto for me: Yorke's departure hit me hard (I remember being overly dramatic and ripping his page out of the club calendar that year), but I remember looking at the league table just before Christmas and feeling mighty smug about our progress without him. That no doubt softened the blow. 

I hated watching Yorke play for united in the league, but started to enjoy seeing him alongside Cole in the CL. I suppose it was a different context so I couldn't draw any Villa-related parallels. 

Keegan, Ronaldo, Bale, Gascogne, Stapleton, Rush, Coutinho, Ball, etc. All sold by so called top teams. It’s a myth that only lower teams get to lose their top talent. It’s what you do with the cash which defines whether it was a successful trade. Liverpool replaced Keegan with Dalglish, best bit of business they ever did. Even our own club has history doing this. I was truly gutted when Gidman and Gray left. Wasn’t that impressed when Withe and Swain were brought in as replacements, hey ho, what do I know😊😊. After that, I’ve always been an optimist.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yorke was by far the worst. A real childhood trauma. But if I’d have been 11 years old now, Jack leaving would probably hurt even more than Yorke’s departure did. 

Remember Yorke ruining a childhood holiday. Jack I’m relaxed about. As you say probably the different between being a teenager and being what I’m almost ready to call middle aged :)

• Like 1

I was 15 when we sold Andy Gray to the dogheads and I was really pissed off.

That was the last time I let a player affect my emotion. It's much easier to just think "**** 'em" :)

Platt was in the pipeline for ages so wasn't a shock.

What did surprise me was Yorke going to small heath. I had to change my oldest son's middle name by deed poll because of that word removed.

Â