Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We agree on many things mate but I always thought Ings was a lethal finisher, I was delighted to get him.

Yes was always worried about facing him on opposing teams

• Like 2

On 01/10/2021 at 11:33, Dave-R said:

Do you know how many fans around here were saying Ings was such a lethal finisher before we signed him, the count was most likely zero lol.

Ings still needs to find his feet I think and he has made some excellent contributions and scored a couple but at the moment I think he's struggling more than what he should be.

I was shocked when we bought him and I still wonder if he will be as good for us as he was at Southampton, that question is on my mind. I think at the moment he's doing just enough to say "yeah he's pulling his weight in the team", I am sure he will get better in the months to come.

As for southgate,he would of been better taking Ings than Kane to the Euros, Southgate is a plonker who rode his way to the final by luck with all the cock ups he made along the way.

I never spoke about Ings because I didn’t think there was a chance we could sign him. I though if he left it would likely be back to Liverpool. This was a marquee signing out of the blue.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Surprised me as well but I think my view is different to yours.  I thought he was an incredible signing for us, he’d been linked with bigger teams and to get somebody of his quality with no fuss, attention or knowledge by anybody was brilliant.  

Given prices today of Lukaku and Kane, getting somebody who scores as many as Ings whose experienced, proven and with his work rate whose only a year older than them, at the price we got him, for was a great bit of business.

Apparently City were interested as well.

These factors probably played a part in us keeping the whole ordeal extremely tight lipped and under wraps.

• Like 2

We were also willing to just stump up the cash without much negotiation (both to club and the player) because we were in a tight spot but flush with cash. 

No other club was willing to just give the green light and just get it done. I suspect there would have been a bit of a bidding war towards the end of the window if we had not agreed to the asking price when we did. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This signing suprised me, the price we paid even more.

I think he has contributed to the team okay so far and I think there will be more to come from him as we get further into the season.

He might just turn out to be not a bad signing once we see how he has done in his first season with us with regards to work rate, passes, assists and some goals aswell.

If he can show that and grab around 9-10 goals this season then he will not a bad signing after all.

He'll get way more than 9-10 goals if he stays fit.

4 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

He'll get way more than 9-10 goals if he stays fit.

Only once in his premier league career spanning 7 seasons he scored more than 12 goals. History tells you he is unlikely to stay fit all season and score more than 12 goals.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2021 at 11:33, Dave-R said:

Do you know how many fans around here were saying Ings was such a lethal finisher before we signed him, the count was most likely zero lol.

Ings still needs to find his feet I think and he has made some excellent contributions and scored a couple but at the moment I think he's struggling more than what he should be.

I was shocked when we bought him and I still wonder if he will be as good for us as he was at Southampton, that question is on my mind. I think at the moment he's doing just enough to say "yeah he's pulling his weight in the team", I am sure he will get better in the months to come.

As for southgate,he would of been better taking Ings than Kane to the Euros, Southgate is a plonker who rode his way to the final by luck with all the cock ups he made along the way.

Think Ings was always pretty widely accepted as a lethal finisher.

Concern was around injury record and all-round game.

Been pleasantly surprised so far by his passing and pressing stats, although I thought he looked poor in the Watford game - has definitely come into his own in that front 2 with Watkins.

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Only once in his premier league career spanning 7 seasons he scored more than 12 goals. History tells you he is unlikely to stay fit all season and score more than 12 goals.

I think we're in agreement. I can't speculate on whether he'll stay fit, he may not. But if he does I'm confident he'll go beyond 12 goals. 

i think he's a class player.

I also think we arent firing fully as a team, hopefully when we get Buendia & Bailey in the first 11 regularly, Watkins and Ings should tear it up, that forward 4 is going to be nasty......if we ever see it!!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

He won't have to play through injury here so he will stay fit. 

And odds are he is lielly to score around 15 goals. 

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Think Ings was always pretty widely accepted as a lethal finisher.

Concern was around injury record and all-round game.

Been pleasantly surprised so far by his passing and pressing stats, although I thought he looked poor in the Watford game - has definitely come into his own in that front 2 with Watkins.

Everyone looked poor in the Watford game. No one was fit.

Ings is doing great. 

I'm a bit worried we are not playing him to his strengths, especially when Watkins's is playing too, an he may get bored of it. I would much rather give Ing's the chances, even though I rate Watkin's he misses so many, he can sometimes be a little frustrating..

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Everyone looked poor in the Watford game. No one was fit.

Ings is doing great. 

That's true, but my point is he didn't look well suited to lone striker in the 4-3-3 system. Just not sure he's physically imposing enough. He mostly played in a front 2 for Southampton, and I think that's what suits his game.

Now of course that may change if he has Bailey starting and playing off him, and then maybe he works in that Firmino role. But my preference if we play 4-3-3 would be Watkins leading the line, as I think he just causes so much damage with his movement and physicality.

For the time being, Watkins is fit, and I'm very happy to see Watkins and Ings both starting - I agree Ings is doing great.

First half he wasn't in it at all.

Second half he did at least get on the end of a few crosses, ball just didn't drop and he should've taken the late one first time when he turned and shot.

Ollie wasn't great either but did score so he'll be starting Wolves game no danger. We obviously need to get Bailey starting sooner or later so interested what happens then. Ings hasn't scored since August 21st so I wouldn't say he's doing a huge amount to justify his place currently bar the odd nice pass or tracking back.

Â