Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

I actually think Ings is better suited to England and international football than Watkins in many ways - not least because he's such a lethal finisher which Ollie isnt. He's also done more so far this season (including pressing!) so is very unlucky not to be included. 

Do you know how many fans around here were saying Ings was such a lethal finisher before we signed him, the count was most likely zero lol.

Ings still needs to find his feet I think and he has made some excellent contributions and scored a couple but at the moment I think he's struggling more than what he should be.

I was shocked when we bought him and I still wonder if he will be as good for us as he was at Southampton, that question is on my mind. I think at the moment he's doing just enough to say "yeah he's pulling his weight in the team", I am sure he will get better in the months to come.

As for southgate,he would of been better taking Ings than Kane to the Euros, Southgate is a plonker who rode his way to the final by luck with all the cock ups he made along the way.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

4 goal involvements in 6 games is pretty good. I think he's been excellent, as I said a few pages ago he's a much better all round player than I'd appreciated. 

this is where I am at with him, he has surprised me at how good his work off the ball and his link up play is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If you were doubtful about his workrate...

FB_IMG_1633122032139.jpg

What this graph doesn't show is the percentage  of successful pressures. Ings's is very low at about 12%, Watkins is at over 30%. So yes, Ings runs a lot chasing the ball, but is not very effective at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

What this graph doesn't show is the percentage  of successful pressures. Ings's is very low at about 12%, Watkins is at over 30%. So yes, Ings runs a lot chasing the ball, but is not very effective at it.

What counts as a successful pressure…forcing a mistake from the opposition leading to your team regaining the ball?  If so, I thought he was particularly good at that v Everton, he really did his defensive work in that game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

What counts as a successful pressure…forcing a mistake from the opposition leading to your team regaining the ball?  If so, I thought he was particularly good at that v Everton, he really did his defensive work in that game.

Exactly! A ball playing defender about to start a move forward but instead because of Ings has to pass back or sidewards would, I assume, be classed as a ‘Press’ but not effective press? But stops a potential move forward and the next player may have to launch it forward because they have no options. A ‘Press’ is a ‘Press’ effective either way imo…

Edited by nick76

This signing suprised me, the price we paid even more.

I think he has contributed to the team okay so far and I think there will be more to come from him as we get further into the season.

He might just turn out to be not a bad signing once we see how he has done in his first season with us with regards to work rate, passes, assists and some goals aswell.

If he can show that and grab around 9-10 goals this season then he will not a bad signing after all.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think he has contributed to the team okay so far and I think there will be more to come from him as we get further into the season.

He might just turn out to be not a bad signing once we see how he has done in his first season with us with regards to work rate, passes, assists and some goals aswell.

If he can show that and grab around 9-10 goals this season then he will not a bad signing after all.

Surprised me as well but I think my view is different to yours.  I thought he was an incredible signing for us, he’d been linked with bigger teams and to get somebody of his quality with no fuss, attention or knowledge by anybody was brilliant.  

Given prices today of Lukaku and Kane, getting somebody who scores as many as Ings whose experienced, proven and with his work rate whose only a year older than them, at the price we got him, for was a great bit of business.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surprised me as well but I think my view is different to yours.  I thought he was an incredible signing for us, he’d been linked with bigger teams and to get somebody of his quality with no fuss, attention or knowledge by anybody was brilliant.  

Given prices today of Lukaku and Kane, getting somebody who scores as many as Ings whose experienced, proven and with his work rate whose only a year older than them, at the price we got him, for was a great bit of business.

Yes, Good point Nick.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You thought this was a bad signing ?

I was over the moon! There’s no chance this will turn out to be a bad signing unless he gets unlucky with injuries.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was over the moon! There’s no chance this will turn out to be a bad signing unless he gets unlucky with injuries.

Agree, I think he's our best established player signing in memory really. Maybe Carew was the last comparable one?

Ings is a brilliant player and we're already seeing how good he is. "Top 6" teams should be kicking themselves. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Completely.  It also has the benefit that Watkins and the youngsters can learn more about clinical finishing from him.  Watkins is brilliant and is our main man but he could be more clinical sometimes to add to his all round game and he can only learn a few things from Ings in that department.

On 01/10/2021 at 11:33, Dave-R said:

Do you know how many fans around here were saying Ings was such a lethal finisher before we signed him, the count was most likely zero lol.

We agree on many things mate but I always thought Ings was a lethal finisher, I was delighted to get him.

• Like 1

Â